1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

DHA and turmeric.......Quantum Rx for health.

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Jack Kruse, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why is tumeric and DHA a natural pair?

They are the scaffold for how the retina is built for sunlight.

Developing an action spectrum is a fundamental means evolution used for determining the input physiology for the circadian system. This is why DHA and tumeric are ideal pairs to build the retina that connects to the SCN and pituitary and to the pineal gland by way of the blood plasma and CSF pathways. This photobiological technique has high utility for
    (1) defining the relative effectiveness of photons at different wavelengths for eliciting a biological response
    (2) identifying the specific pho- topigment involved in that response (Lipson, 1994; Coohill, 1999). The specific aim of the present study was to characterize the wavelength sensitivity of the photoreceptor system responsible for providing circadian input to the human pineal gland by establishing an action spectrum for light-induced melatonin suppression. The experiments defined an action spectrum that fits a retinaldehyde opsin template and identified 446–477 nm as the most potent wavelength region for regulating melatonin is melanopsin. Univariance among the eight fluence–response curves suggests that a single photopigment is primarily responsible for melatonin suppression in humans. It turns out melanopsin is that photopigment and how it works in us is very counterintuitive. It terminates the effect of melatonin in the eye and this opens the flood gates for melatonin to work in the pinela gland when it is DARK at night. They key is understanding how melatonin and melanopsin are made by AM sunlight. The are many results now published that have suggested and proven that melanopsin is the novel photopigment in the human eye that mediates circadian photoreception. I believe melanopsin and crytptochromes working in the retina are also where human magneto-reception is based. As redox in the retina drops, we lose our magneto-sense. This is why modern humans appear to no thave it. We do.......you just have to look for it. This sense in the retina works with our hair follicles which act as antennas for the reception. Your eyes and hair are linked in ways you cannot imagine. DHA and curcumin help build this quantum network.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

REFERENCES

Aggelopoulos NC, Meissl H (2000) Responses of neurones of the rat suprachiasmatic nucleus to retinal illumination under photopic and scotopic conditions. J Physiol (Lond) 523:211–222.

Ahmad M, Cashmore AR (1993) HY4 gene of A. thaliana encodes a protein with characteristics of a blue-light photoreceptor. Nature 366:162–166.

Arendt J (1988) Melatonin [review]. Clin Endocrinol 29:205–229. Arendt J (1998) Melatonin and the pineal gland: influence on mamma-

lian seasonal and circadian physiology. Rev Reprod 3:13–22.
    Boettner EA, Wolter JR (1962) Transmission of the ocular media. Invest

Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1:776–783.
    Brainard GC, Richardson BA, King TS, Matthews SA, Reiter RJ (1983)

The suppression of pineal melatonin content and N-acetyltransferase activity by different light irradiances in the Syrian hamster: a dose- response relationship. Endocrinology 113:293–296.

Brainard GC, Lew y AJ, Menaker M, Miller L S, Fredrickson RH, Weleber RG, Cassone V, Hudson D (1988) Dose-response relationship between light irradiance and the suppression of melatonin in human volunteers. Brain Res 454:212–218.

Brainard GC, Rollag MD, Hanifin JP (1997) Photic regulation of mela- tonin in humans: ocular and neural signal transduction. J Biol Rhythms 12:537–546.

Brainard GC, Greeson JM, Hanifin JP (1999a) Action spectra for circa- dian and neuroendocrine regulation in mammals. In: Measurements of optical radiation hazards (Matthes R, Sliney D, DiDomenico S, Murray P, Phillips R, Wengraitis S, eds), pp 131–142. Munich: International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection.

Brainard G, Greeson J, Hanifin J, Byrne B, Gerner E, Rollag M (1999b) Development of an action spectrum for melatonin suppression in hu- mans. Photochem Photobiol 69:6S.

Brainard G, Rollag M, Hanifin J, Greeson J, Byrne B, Gerner E (1999c) Action spectrum for melatonin regulation in humans. Presented at 8th European Pineal Society Colloqium, Tours, France, July 3–7.

Brainard G, Rollag M, Hanifin J, Greeson J, Byrne B, Gerner E (1999d) Circadian photoreception: action spectrum for melatonin regulation in humans. Soc Neurosci Abstr 25:2064.

Brainard GC, Byrne B, Hanifin JP, Greeson JM, Gerner E, Rollag MD (1999e) Development of an action spectrum for melatonin regulation: potential relevance to light therapy. Soc Light Treat Biol Rhythms Abstr 11:1.

Brainard GC, Rollag MD, Hanifin JP, VandenBeld G, SanfordB (2000a) The effect of polarized versus non-polarized light on melatonin regulation in humans. Photochem Photobiol 71:766–770.

Brainard G, Rollag M, Hanifin J, Greeson J, Byrne B, Glickman G, Gardner J, Sanford B, Gerner E (2000b) Circadian photoreception in humans: action spectrum for melatonin suppression. Presented at 7th Meeting of the Society for Research on Biological Rhythms, Jacksonville, FL, May 10–13.

Brainard GC, Hanifin JP, Rollag MD, Greeson J, Byrne B, Glickman G, Gerner E, Sanford B (2001) Human melatonin regulation is not mediated by the three cone photopic visual system. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:433–436.

Bronstein DM, Jacobs GH, Haak KA, Neitz J, Lytle LD (1987) Action spectrum of the retinal mechanism mediating nocturnal light-induced suppression of rat pineal gland N-acetyltransferase. Brain Res 406:352–356.

Coohill TP (1991) Action spectra again? Photochem Photobiol 54:859 – 870.

Coohill TP (1999) Photobiological action spectra: what do they mean? In: Measurements of optical radiation hazards (Matthes R, Sliney D, DiDomenico S, Murray P, Phillips R, Wengraitis S, eds), pp 27–39. Munich: International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection.

Czeisler CA, Shanahan TL, Klerman EB, Martens H, Brotman DJ, Emens JS, Klein T, Rizzo III JF (1995) Suppression of melatonin secretion in some blind patients by exposure to bright light. N Engl J Med 332:6–11.

Davis SE, Munson PJ, Jaffe ML, Rodbard D (1980) Radioimmunoassay data processing with a small programmable calculator. J Immunoassay 1:15–25.

Dkhissi-Benyahya O, Sicard B, Cooper HM (2000) Effects of irradiance and stimulus duration on early gene expression ( fos) in the suprachiasmatic nucleus: temporal summation and reciprocity. J Neurosci 20:7790 –7797.

Foster RG, Provencio I, Hudson D, Fiske S, DeGrip W, Menaker M (1991) Circadian photoreception in the retinally degenerate mouse (rd/rd). J Comp Physiol [A] 169:39–50.

Freedman MS, Lucas RJ, Soni B, von Schantz M, Mun ̃oz M, David-Gray Z, Foster RG (1999) Regulation of mammalian circadian behavior by non-rod, non-cone, ocular photoreceptors. Science 284:502–504.

Gaddy JR, Rollag MD, Brainard GC (1993) Pupil size regulation of threshold of light-induced melatonin suppression. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 77:1398–1401.

Griffin EA, Staknis D, Weitz CJ (1999) Light-independent role of Cry1 and Cry2 in the mammalian circadian clock. Science 286:768–771.

Klein DC, Moore RY, Reppert SM (1991) Suprachiasmatic nucleus: the mind’s clock. Oxford: Oxford UP.

Lam RW (1998) Seasonal affective disorder and beyond: light treatment for SAD and non-SAD disorders. Washington, DC: American Psychi- atric Press.

Lerman S (1987) Chemical and physical properties of the normal and aging lens: spectroscopic (UV, fluorescence, phosphorescence, and NMR) analyses. Am J Opt Physiol Optics 64:11–22.

Lew y AJ, Wehr TA, Goodwin F K , Newsome DA, Markey SP (1980) Light suppresses melatonin secretion in humans. Science 210:1267–1269.

Lipson ED (1994) Action spectroscopy: methodology. In: Organic photochemistry and photobiology (Horspool WM, Song P-S, eds), pp 1257–1266. New York: CRC.

L ucas RJ, Foster RG (1999) Neither f unctional rod photoreceptors nor rod or cone outer segments are required for the photic inhibition of pineal melatonin. Endocrinology 140:1520–1524.

MacNichol EF, Levine JS, Mansfield RJW, Lipetz LE, Collins BA (1983) Microspectrophotometry of visual pigments in primate photoreceptors. In: Colour vision (Mollon JD, Sharpe LT, eds), pp 14–38. Cambridge, UK: Academic.

McIntyre IM, Norman TR, Burrows GD, Armstrong SM (1989) Human melatonin suppression by light is intensity dependent. J Pineal Res 6:149 –156.

Miyamoto Y, Sancar A (1998) Vitamin B2-based blue-light photoreceptors in the retinohypothalamic tract as the photoactive pigments for setting the circadian clock in mammals. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95:6097– 6102.

Moore RY (1983) Organization and function of a central nervous system circadian oscillator: the suprachiasmatic hypothalamic nucleus. Fed Proc 42:2783–2789.

Morin LP (1994) The circadian visual system. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 19:102–127.

Nelson DE, Takahashi JS (1991) Comparison of visual sensitivity for suppression of pineal melatonin and circadian phase-shifting in the golden hamster. Brain Res 554:272–277.

Oren DA (1996) Humoral phototransduction: blood is a messenger. The Neuroscientist 2:207–210.

Partridge JC, De Grip WJ (1991) A new template for rhodopsin (vitamin A1 based) visual pigments. Vision Res 31:619–630.

Pevet P, Heth G, Hiam A, Nevo E (1984) Photoperiod perception in the blind mole rat (Spalaxehrenberg i, Nehring): involvement of the Harderian gland, atrophied eyes, and melatonin. J Exp Zool 232:41–50.

Podolin PC, Rollag MD, Brainard GC (1987) The suppression of nocturnal pineal melatonin in the Syrian hamster: dose-response curves at 500 nm and 360 nm. Endocrinology 121:266–270.

Provencio I, Foster RG (1995) Circadian rhythms in mice can be regu- lated by photoreceptors with cone-like characteristics. Brain Res 694:183–190.

Provencio I, Jiang G, De Grip WJ, Hayes WP, Rollag MD (1998) Melanopsin: an opsin in melanophores, brain, and eye. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95:340–345.

Provencio I, Rodriguez IR, Jiang G, Hayes WP, Moreira EF, Rollag MD (2000) A novel human opsin in the inner retina. J Neurosci 20:600 – 605.

Reiter RJ (1991) Pineal melatonin: cell biology of its synthesis and of its physiological interactions. Endocr Rev 12:151–180.

Rodieck RW (1998) The first steps in seeing. Sunderland, MA: Sinauer.

Rollag MD, Niswender GD (1976) Radioimmunoassay of serum concentrations of melatonin in sheep exposed to different lighting regimens. Endocrinology 98:482–489.

Ruberg FL, Skene DJ, Hanifin JP, Rollag MD, English J, Arendt J, Brainard GC (1996) Melatonin regulation in humans with color vision deficiencies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:2980–2985.

Smith KC (1989) The science of photobiology. New York: Plenum. Soni BG, Foster RG (1997) A novel and ancient vertebrate opsin. FEBS

Lett 406:279–283.
    Stanewsky R, Kaneko M, Emery P, Beretta B, Wager-Smith K, Kay SA,

Rosbash M, Hall JC (1998) The cry b mutation identifies cryptochrome as a circadian photoreceptor in Drosophila. Cell 95:681–692. Stockman A, Sharpe LT (1999) Cone spectral sensitivities and color matching. In: Color vision: from genes to perception (Gegenfurtner KR, Sharpe LT, eds), pp 53–87. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge UP. Sun H, Gilbert DJ, Copeland NG, Jenkins NA, Nathans J (1997) Per- opsin, a novel visual pigment-like protein located in the apical mi- crovilli of the retinal pigment epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA
    94:9893–9898.

Takahashi JS, DeCoursey PJ, Bauman L, Menaker M (1984) Spectral sensitivity of a novel photoreceptive system mediating entrainment of mammalian circadian rhythms. Nature 308:186–188. Thresher RJ, Vitaterna MH, Miyamoto Y, Kazantsev A, Hsu DS, Petit C, Selby CP, Dawut L, Smithies O, Takahashi JS, Sancar A (1998) Role of mouse cryptochrome blue-light photoreceptor in circadian photoresponses. Science 282:1490–1494.

van der Horst GTJ, Muijtjens M, Kobayashi K, Takano R, Kanno S, Takao M, de Wit J, Verkerk A, Eker APM, van Leenen D, Buijs R, Bootsma D, Hoeijmakers JHJ, Yasui A (1999) Mammalian Cry1 and Cry2 are essential for maintenance of circadian rhythms. Nature 398:627– 630.

von Schantz M, Provencio I, Foster RG (2000) Recent developments in circadian photoreception: more than meets the eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41:1605–1607.

Waldhauser F, Dietzel M (1985) Daily and annual rhythms in human melatonin secretion: role in puberty control. Ann NY Acad Sci 453:205–214.

Wang JY, Hanifin JP, Rollag MD, Brainard GC (1999) Ocular regula- tion of the human pineal gland: the significance of total retinal exposure for melatonin suppression. In: Biologic effects of light 1998 (Holick M, Jung EG, eds), pp 367–374. Boston: Kluwer Academic.

Webb SM, Champney TH, Lewinski AK, Reiter RJ (1985) Photoreceptor damage and eye pigmentation: influence on the sensitivity of rat pineal N-acetyltransferase activity and melatonin levels to light at night. Neuroendocrinology 40:205–209.

Wehr TA (1991) The durations of human melatonin secretion and sleep respond to changes in daylength (photoperiod). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 73:1276–1280.

Wetterberg L (1993) Light and biological rhythms in man. Stockholm: Pergamon.

Yoshimura T, Ebihara S (1996) Spectral sensitivity of photoreceptors mediating phase-shifts of circadian rhythms in retinally degenerate CBA/J (rd/rd) and normal CBA/N (/) mice. J Comp Physiol [A] 178:797– 802.

Zeitzer JM, Kronauer RE, Czeisler CA (1997) Photopic transduction implicated in human circadian entrainment. Neurosci Lett 232:135–138.

Zeitzer JM, Dijk D-J, Kronauer RE, Brown EN, Czeisler CA (2000) Sensitivity of the human circadian pacemaker to nocturnal light: melatonin phase resetting and suppression. J Physiol (Lond) 526:695–702.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

5. It's interesting - after initial diagnosis of Crohn's in 2015 I started taking Omega 3 supps and taking Curcumin at doses btween 3000mg to 6000mg.

I was able to come off all medication in the space of a few months and never looked back. I always tell people that Curcumin reversed my disease, and that CT and Sun keep it absent from my life. Curcumin at 3 - 6g dose is expensive though, I spent £200 a month on it.

Since then, I've stopped using supplements for CT, Sunlight and actual food DHA. But I think I'm going to start adding back heavy amounts of Turmeric into my DHA meals to reap this benefit once again....

Phosphene, Scompy, caroline and 4 others like this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

turmeric is a UV fluorphore spice. IT absorbs more light 250-400nm

7. drezy

drezy New Member

With a little extra mulch it might be possible for you to just grow the stuff:
    https://www.heirloomgardener.com/plant-profiles/edible/growing-ginger-and-turmeric-zm0z17szfis
    Zones of the UK
    https://www.gardenia.net/visual-editor-uploads/UK_Map.jpg

I started thinking that there are some benefits to be gained by having these health issues at a younger age:
    1. You're young and did obviously improve your heteroplasmy when you know better.
    2. Upon living to a ripe old grandpa age, you'll know where the first "bullets" of age effected heteroplasmy will be fired from and they will not take you by surprise at all.

8. philip malone

philip malone Silver

Very Interesting! what is a good source/supplement for turmeric? A lot of supplements are crap!!

9. Ted

Ted New Member

I just use the turmeric powder and sprinkle it on anything that I want, including seafood.

10. Julian

Julian New Member

I have tumeric that i use with lemon. ginger, garlic, black peper, cinnamon and apple cidar vinegar drink usually every morning this ok?

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

I get fresh tumeric and use a garlic press to put it in everything.

Phosphene, Lahelada, freesia and 2 others like this.
  12. @drezy i hear you, it has also enabled an awakening early on and made a lot wiser. Almost too wise, having fun drinking with friends is where it gets hard. Everyone my age is getting smashed on the weekend... I'm sat in with my blue blockers on looking forward to my Yellowtail Steak tomorrow morning lol

So apparently turmeric contains roughly 3% curcumin. Each teaspoon = 0.1 to 0.2 grams of curcumin.

To get the doses I required in my inflammatory state, you would need 15 to 30 teaspoons of turmeric a day... Your blood would be dyed orange, absorbing all that extra UV though. I used Good Health Naturally curcumin, but there are loads out there. These days I throw about 4 or 5 teaspoons into a big shrimp and fish curry when I make it.

Indians rub this stuff on their skin in festivals... Wonder would it help the skin as a UV fluorophore?

I'm spending Christmas in India this year... Seafood, curry, sun and probably too many beers for 4 weeks. Cannot wait.

13. drezy

drezy New Member

From 26-33 me and my coworkers could work and drink circles around other engineers by factors of 3X+.

It was fun, for sure, but I've got way more skin in the game these days.
    Christmas in India sounds great. Please have several curries for me, sir.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  14. I started earlier... In the UK most are drinking, smoking de 'erb and snorting big train tracks of coke by 16. Then they go to Ketamine, MDMA etc. All good fun for most people with OK Mitochondria.... But others send their Serotonin into such overdrive that it never recovers.

It all starts with no sunlight as we know, which is why I'm forcing my offspring to be raised in a better environment (when I do have kids).

I'll have a Vindaloo for you, good sir

Lahelada likes this.
  15. drezy

drezy New Member

Wow your parties sounded way more interesting than any I've ever been invited to!

Even worse, I think it all starts with some crap mitochondria you could get passed to you. That's not even a choice.

Mmmmmmm, vindaloo!
    Fast fact -- Food History: Vindaloo was a collaborative effort to meet the needs of Portuguese sailors. Those dudes wanted meat for the trip home. The real ingenious part of the dish is the design. When made in the original manner the vindaloo ends up not only in vinegar but it's swimming in pork fat. If you pour it into a cylindrical container, like the sailors did, you'd end up with a perfect solidified fat cap on the top that prevented aerobic bacteria and spoilage. I made it this way once and I'm never going to make it any other way from now on.

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

DHA needs water in the retina to work in nonlinear fashion.

Life is based upon a hydrogen economy because a mitochondria is really a hydrogen furnace. This hydrogen must not be predominantly deuterium. It powers all things that animate atoms to scale the thermodynamic ledge from abiotic to biotic. What is the thermodynamic key of this change in behavior. The more solar light energy that is pumped into the system and not thermalized allows the cells to become further from equilibrium. The further from equilibrium we go the more likely life manifests because the organization inside the cell becomes like an exotic condensed matter state called a Bose-Einstein condensate. Now you have a short answer from me, What is Life. This phase transition of starlight energy by water in a cell is what makes a life. Starlight is what changes the pH in water that surrounds all proteins. Proteins form the the analogue semiconductive portion of life that acts in linear fashion. The addition of water around proteins is what allowed the nonlinear process to dominate the biochemical pathways. This is the digital system in the cell. As quantum mechanics endows particles with surprising properties, it enables to explain physical processes like electrolysis. Starlight is capable of separating water into its charges while also building a liquid crystalline array inside a cell to allow for non linear optics using light in ways biology still cannot comprehend. While thermodynamics gives a consistent account of them, independent of any mechanism, quantum mechanics provides a consistent explanation of electron fluxes crossing the interface between a metallic conductor and an aqueous environment. Cells are filled with specific metallic ions suspended in many types of water that cell is expert in making. What type of water is made is wholly dependent upon the redox power in the cell at that particular moment based upon the physics present in the environment. This redox power is wholly tied to the environment and the frequencies of starlight that is present and stored in water networks around our bio-molecules that make electric power from electric and magnetic fields in sunlight. Understanding how electron travels is important in many fields: hydrogen production, deuterium depletion, environmental scanning tunneling microscopy, scanning electrochemical microscopy and bio-sensing applications. It also will turn out in the coming age of quantum biology to be the single biggest insight of mankind in my opinion. https://phys.org/news/2017-11-quantum-tunnelling-biosensing.html

17. Hahaha we certainly don't do things by halves over this side of the Atlantic! Yeah that was my problem, my mitochondria were shit from the day I was born - I had rashes and reactions to the weighing scale paper they put babies on, I don't think they use that stuff anymore though.

Ah mate, that sounds good... Definitely want one of these authentic Vindaloos now.

drezy likes this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why cold thermogenesis (CT) and more omega-3s (DHA) are a good idea built by nature. Science continues to learn what nature already figured out using varying magnetic fields and incident light. This is why fish at the poles in cold water are naturally deuterium depleted and loaded with electrons excited by light more than fish at the equator. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-11-omega-fatty-acids-brown-adipose.html

19. Dean6789

Dean6789 New Member

I combine turmeric with ground ginger and black pepper -- sprinkle it on every meat that I eat. Just got into the habit of it after a guy named Dr. Fahey told me about it years ago.

20. shiran

shiran Curious

Jack, in a 5G world What is the most effective form of consumption of turmeric? Thanks