1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Deuterium in foods

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by kris90, Nov 9, 2017.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Keep checking

homocysteine, 6-7 ok
    fasting insulin, 5 & less ok
    calcium score, zero is best

2. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Great looking fermentation croc .I have been making fermented vegetables for years. Wish I had some crocks like that
    I thought somewhere in there forum I saw a chart that fermented food were high in D?

3. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Don’t you also exhale 2 l/day . Does this balance out to some degree? I am not sure how to approach says maybe you know

4. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Hello Billybats
    I would love to know how to make ghee. Grass fed Ghee is pretty pricey ($17/#)

5. Sheddie

Sheddie Silver

Not to be butting in on your request to Billybats, Brookway... but I've been making & using home-made ghee for decades, long before we could get grassfed and/or organic or dairy imports in the usual grocery stores. I found the stove-top method to be dangerous. Bubbles of water from the bottom of the pan can suddenly rise and burst spraying boiling water to burn you. I went to the oven method, very similar to this link: https://paleospirit.com/how-to-make-ghee-in-the-oven/
    All I do differently is use a Pyrex measuring cup with handle (2 cup or quart depending how much ghee I wish to make) in my toaster oven set at 250F. A pound of organic, pasture-fed, and/or A2 cow butter melts in about 1.5 hours. I don't even strain it: the top crust easily moves aside for the pouring spout and I watch to stop pouring when the whitish-watery liquid near the bottom starts to move out. The 'crusty' top is delicious, and, the watery stuff is great for throwing in a soup -- or in the dog's bowl!! It's as good or better than any commercial product and costs the price of your butter less maybe the quarter cup leftover milk solids & crust. Yes, it takes about 2 hours to make. I've even timed it to shut off automatically in the toaster oven to let it cool some (but not yet thickening) when the Pyrex glass handle is very hot, before pouring it up. Use an oven mitt when the handle is still hot!

Some butters melt to show more 'water' than others. One of my faves for low water in my experience is the "President" unsalted brand -- but I check to be sure it's a product of France... If I can I stock up on summer butter (freezable) for the 'fresh' growing grass season; I think winter season "hay" fed to cows is still considered 'grass.' Summer grassfed butter is a naturally darker yellow. But, I'm really not all that picky; it's just extra fun when I get to my international market to zero in on A2 cow countries. (Same place I found heritage pig pork bellies!) If you have time to make your own ghee, you might never buy it factory-made again!

PS: I never managed to get my hands on New Zealand butter. Something about... it arrives in Florida but gets distributed south from there, not up into the US. One of those trade regulations explained it when I searched about a decade ago. IF anyone finds it available now in the US, please let us know? Hoping, too, that Fukushima hasn't gotten in NZ foods before I taste their butter...

PPS: Using the eye-hand coordinated method for slowly pouring the finished, heat-separated product into the final container, it's important to prevent ANY of the watery level going into the pure ghee. There's a slightly lighter yellow layer sitting above the bottom layers of 'water' and white solids. A watery (whey?) drop could develop MOLD in un-refrigerated ghee over time. So, be generous about how much liquid yellow butterfat you leave behind with the watery and white parts, tempting as it might be to coax more yellow fat over the lip as you pour! In general, when I set the Pyrex container down on the counter I still see about 3 equal parts of white solids, cloudy 'water' and yellow fat; which is still useful, just not in my ghee container. A cup of heat-separated butter will not make a full cup of final ghee. (edited 2019)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  6. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Never thought of making ghee in the toaster oven. Sounds simple and foolproof—right up my alley! :D Thx.

7. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Thanks for the great info Sheddie, I only ask Billy Bats because she had mentioned it in her post. I will check out that link.

I have to eat ghee because I have to avoid Casin.

I actually have an excellent local source for raw A2 butter,But it is a little pricey, I will probably buy Kerrrygold

8. John Saf

John Saf New Member

So coconut oil being low in D. And the water is high/tropic of cancer fruit level.
    Any thougts on Coconutflour?

9. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

I use a Thermomix for ghee - very easy as I have to avoid casein too

10. Kai-Robin

Kai-Robin New Member

When they scan the coconut in MRI, the flesch shows low deuterium and the water high deuterium (155ppm) according to Boros. Stay away from the coconut water! Shredded coconut should be fine if its only mechanical processed. I dont know how coconutflour is processed. If you want to be sure - test it!

Amber Ament likes this.
  11. Pebbles

Pebbles Gold

Shredded coconut is made of ripe coconut= all water has been adsorbed already by flesh and dried out.

12. This is helpful, thanks! I havent tried making ghee but will attempt this method.

13. Sheddie

Sheddie Silver

I don't think your raw butter would still be raw after heating? I have used Kerrygold for ghee and if I see a sale in Summer, maybe Fall, I load up; and freeze for future use. I read somewhere that the Kerrygold producers do use hay for Winter feed and keep the "grassfed" labeling. Not a bother to me. Possibly less CLA in Winter butter (?) or some other change to the fat profile... at least it would be eating 'seasonally...' Anyway, I couldn't take the 'explosiveness' of stove top ghee-making. Not with children underfoot then, and clumsy (arthritic) hands now! Never had any eruptions with the oven method. Would love to hear if it works for you.

14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Speaking of a gas stove experience.
    And a large dog left alone while nobody is home.

Food was left on the stove, while dog was trying to get to the food he opened gas.
    House got full of gas.
    Owner comes in, first move is to close gas and open windows.
    Latter calls gas company.

Latter he learned that opening windows was bad move.
    When house is full of gas (and still intact), that is safe state.
    When gas is in high concentration it takes flame to light it up.
    When gas concentration is being diluted there is a point that explosion may take place (without any flame).
    The gas company told them that.
    Now they have protective covers on gas stove knobs.

Sheddie likes this.
  15. We have those now too... Dang beagle!

JanSz likes this.
  16. This was a great thread (all 36 pages), now i have many questions but will ask just one...

if plants push deuterium to the fruit/seeds and green leafy veggies are low in D, what is your guess as to the D content of green juice? i know it is based upon the water they are grown in, i am just wondering if the plants can make DDW for us. it might be a lot cheaper and more nutritious than $9 for 500ml...

also, it is my understanding the plants create EZ water. do you have any thoughts on this?

Sheddie likes this.
  17. Has anyone seen d2o content of wheatgrass juice or any others? Would be interesting to compare cellular water in the leaves with water coming up from root zone.

On a side note, i have been planting buckwheat between the rows of the garden and feeding it to a sheep im fattening up for slaughter. I havent done testing but am hoping a super finishing diet will make some super tasty optimal low d lamb grease!

Sheddie likes this.
  18. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

depends where the plant is growing and the D content of local rain water.

19. I understand the source water is important, i am curious about depletion rate of the plants... if plants recognize deuterium and push it toward the seeds, fruit and root then it makes sense then that the leaves and stems would be depleted and there by become a source of fortified DDW (DDW to me is any water below 155 ppm).

My body is not processing fats well which means that i cannot hydrate my body with fats. i am looking for alternative ways to lower the D levels in my body without paying the shipping fees to import DDW from romania. I am in a northern latitude but within a couple hundred miles of the coast (willamete valley oregon).

I appreciate your response Paul and any knowledge that you have will be well received...

20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Dr Laszlo Boros on Deuterium Depletion for Optimal Health
    https://player.fm/series/gut-health...ros-on-deuterium-depletion-for-optimal-health
    Time 43:16 Drinking too much water is useless, it dilutes body water.
    time 56:00 do not drink water over 135ppm
    Australian water is not fit for consumption 54:30
    ---------