1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Deuterium in foods

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by kris90, Nov 9, 2017.

1. kris90

kris90 New Member

Since learning about deuterium, I've actually been focusing in a little more on my diet lately, since my environment is about as optimal as I can make it right now, and my health is gold.

Obviously, with eating epi-paleo, I'm getting daily seafood, and plenty of animal fats, but there's still other foods that are questionable now. Fruits and vegetables (and especially man-made carbs) contain more deuterium, and so they should be limited dependent on your zip code and season. I did read that eating fruits/vegetables that grow in temperate zones should have less deuterium than those in tropics. I assume that is why Jack advocates eating what is in season in your local environment?

I live in Ontario. These are the veggies in season this winter:
    -Squash
    -Potatoes
    -Sweet potatoes
    -Carrots
    -Beets
    -Cabbage
    -Mushrooms
    -Rutabaga
    -Apples
    -Pears

I assume if these vegetables/fruits are in season in Ontario winter, they should have relatively low deuterium content? Is the key to avoid consuming imports, because eating imported veggies/fruits that did not grow in your local environment is a mismatch?

Could you somehow freeze your veggies to lower the deuterium content?

Patrick K and Brent Patrick like this.
  2. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

From october 15th onward i,f you wanna do seasonal in Ontario you should already be well into ketosis. I ate fresh outta the ground all summer from the farmers market and all the farmers around here aint pullin much of anything up now. Harvest season is done here in central ontario. Im on 40 grams of carbs and i will be shrinkiing that moving towards december 21st. Mushrooms, seaweed, hazel nuts walnuts and some radishes are my only carbs right now. Im going to town on grassfed cheese though! Kerry gold dubliner, organic meadow cream cheese ans Hope farms buffalo hard cheeese is the bees knees! My grass fed lamb from norfolk farms will be in next week cant wait. If your buying imported fruits veg you are going to be consuming deuterium during the time when we should be proton recycling so ya that would be a mismatch I believe.

Ricky Lynn and Danny like this.
  3. kris90

kris90 New Member

True. Well I don't eat any fruits, but I am still eating some potatoes, mushrooms and nuts. I did eat some brussel sprouts recently too, probably a mismatch, but I guess you pick your poison.

I'm thinking sauerkraut could be good? What about garlic and onions? In general, I think ground vegetables should atleast be a little safer.

4. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Kris ,not everything you see in the store is seasonal. Apples and pears peak in September October . If your ground freezes then carrots and potatoes are not seasonal either. Sweet potato are spring summer vegetables.

5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Ground vegetable use their roots/tuber as their energy supply. Depending where they grow they get more access to water eg in clay soils that is water retentive. That would increase their deuterium content. Rice must be sky high in it for the way it is cultivated ?

6. shiran

shiran Curious

Rice is c3 it full of deuterium

Lahelada likes this.
  7. kris90

kris90 New Member

Lol wow doesn't give much options then...

What about sauerkraut and other fermented veggies? Is that not a way to preserve them?

8. Sun Disciple

Are you trying to get probiotics from sauer kraut? how about grass fed buffalo kefir from hope farms. Its from ontario.

9. Sun Disciple

I think your missing the point. Yes this is preserving deuterium rich foods which are out of season.

10. kris90

kris90 New Member

Alright so weak UV light = avoid anything deuterium. Pure, strict keto until spring?

11. OptimalSkr

OptimalSkr New Member

Man strict Keto is hard. I always feel hungry even when eating a tons of fat and protein. Is this maybe because I have been carb adapted all my life? Lol

Emma Sabin likes this.
  12. kris90

kris90 New Member

I love fats and proteins. Definitely feel full from them alone, but I'm a sucker for potatoes lol. That's gonna be the hardest. I always soak my potatoes with coconut oil if I want them crispy, or soak them with sour cream and cream cheese if I mash them. Definitely gonna miss that...

Antonis likes this.
  13. shiran

shiran Curious

I think potatoes are c3 like rice

Antonis likes this.
  14. kris90

kris90 New Member

Ya it seems no beuno for winter, even though it is showing they are in season this winter in Ontario.

I guess @Sun Disciple made a good point: when the ground is frozen, nothing can grow.

15. kris90

kris90 New Member

What about nuts, and dark chocolate? Both high in fat, but have some carbs, but they don't grow in cold environments.

Basically, what I wonder, is do all foods that grow only in long light cycles have high deuterium? How does fat content of said food relate to the deuterium content? i.e. cocoa, coconut oil and avocados?

Brent Patrick likes this.
  16. Billybats

Billybats New Member

I found this but read the last line:

DEUTERIUM IN FOOD

WHICH FOODS HAVE HIGH AND LOW AMOUNTS OF DEUTERIUM.

Deuterium gets into your body via the things you eat and drink and also via the humidity in the air you breath. You can’t do much about what you breathe. But here are some facts about the food you eat that can help you consume less deuterium.

• Green plants deplete deuterium – vegetables are deuterium depleted.
    • Plants get rid of their deuterium by putting it in their sugar storage – fruits, potatoes, grains, etc. are high in deuterium.
    • Nuts are full of fat and protein and not sugar – nuts are deuterium depleted.
    • Grass-fed animals are deuterium depleted – grain-fed animals are not.
    • Old food is higher in deuterium than young food because it, like us, lose their ability to deplete deuterium with age – young food is healthier to eat.
    • The water you drink – rivers, lakes, streams – is high in deuterium – people drink water according to what they eat.
    • Fat from plants and grass fed animals is the most deuterium depleted food source. The cell’s of people who eat fat make deuterium depleted water and actually drink much less water than people who don’t eat fat.
    • The body makes 1.1 kg of deuterium depleted water for every kg of fat consumed – ancient man likely derived most of his water from fat as many animals still don’t – camels don’t need to drink because they make water from the fat on their backs. https://www.cignaturehealth.com/about-deuterium-food-facts/

Dang Dr. Kruse I am seeing A LOT of what you say connecting.. this is the best puzzle ever..lol I love puzzles.

17. Sun Disciple

sasonal nuts fall to the ground here in ontario in october november they include chestnuts, hazel nuts, wall nuts and acorn. Ive been doing hazel and walnut with fish as they are monounsaturated so not to interfere with dha absortion but I will be cutting those out in the next feew weeks. The one thing I havnt been able to find but is also in season is truffles.

18. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

This presentation including Laszlo Boros has some interesting points on deuterium in foods, it appears his team is leading deuterium depletion as a therapy.

19. shiran

shiran Curious

Thanks for sharing

20. Penny

Penny New Member

cane sugar and maize is not C3... go figure... :)

shiran likes this.