1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Deuterium content in canadian maple syrup

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Patrick K, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

I have...
    Ice age glacial 144 ppm
    Whistler water 135 ppm
    Elmvale spring 142 ppm

Your turn :)

drezy likes this.
  2. Patrick K

Patrick K New Member

135 ppm is pretty good.
    I will send in a sample of eska (will contact lab and ask them how it works to ship)

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Once frozen water can have its deuterium lowered to about 145ppm
    according to test.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/deuterium-free-water.20554/page-13#post-243384

4. Linz

Linz Gold

Patrick,
    Your maple syrup question has disrupted my plans for the day! I intended a quick forum catch up, and rather than an answer for you I have many more thoughts (and lots of missing connections).

I'm not sure if there is any relevance to D levels in maple trees but I learned last week in a chance conversation, that maple trees do not take up dangerous radioactive isotopes but many other tree species do in the same circumstances. So maple syrup is less affected by a nuclear leak than food from other trees!

Sycamore trees have become very toxic to horses in recent years (high levels of hypoglycin-A in some of the seeds is thought to be the cause of a fatal atypical myopathy) but the trees have been present on grazing land in the UK for many years. One of our insurers has called the rise in poisonings as 'meteoric'. Before today I had been wondering about circadian effects on the equine immune system making the animal less tolerant of the toxin and also the implications of changing deuterium levels in the grazing, and how wild animals respond. This morning I found a paper (attached below) about Ackee fruit which is used in West Africa and Jamaica. The unripe fruit has toxic levels of hypoglycin-A but this is transferred to the seeds as it ripens (and changed to hypoglycin B) so the fruit can only be eaten ripe with all the seeds removed. The paper then goes on to say the fruit is canned in brine for export but a lot of ackee arilli waste is generated. This substance has a high lipid content and the toxic part is water soluble so it can be safely processed into ackee aril oil for consumption. The changes to Hypoglycin in reproductive/growth parts and the way it can be reduced in lipid processing makes it look like a deuterium problem.

In Sycamores, hypoglycin-a levels in the seeds vary a lot between trees and also between individual seeds on the same tree. Yet another question!

!Free Radical Scavenging Capacity, Carotenoid Content, and NMR Characterization of Blighia sapida Aril Oil

5. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

6. Eli Avital

Eli Avital New Member

Hey, did you ever test the eska water in the end?

Did you test any other water brands in Canada or at you sticking with the spring you found?