1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Dennis Clark Live

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Dennis Clark, Apr 30, 2015.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

the slight edema I have around my ankles.
    @DrEttinger ?????

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  2. Dennis Clark

Dennis Clark Dr. Dennis Clark

(Inadvertent) Solar Callus Biohack

Since I first heard of the solar callus on Jack’s site, I have come to realize that mine has been pretty good most of my life. Summers in northern California (Redding) were hot and sunny. Most of the time I spent outdoors – playing with my friends around the neighborhood, water skiing and camping at Shasta Lake, practicing and playing baseball and football at school – just generally anything that was not indoors.

Those days I had brown skin contrasting with my sun-bleached blond hair. Now I know that I had a great solar callus growing up, at least seasonally.

More recently, I’ve been working on my solar callus, without really knowing what I was doing, since January, 2015. Now that I’m understanding more, I realize that I might have a better solar callus than ever before. The inadvertent biohack that I did about a month ago confirmed it.

All I did was to sit out in the mid-day sun for about 100 minutes, at ca. 7,500 feet elevation. Wearing only gym shorts.

The key indicator, I think, was no sunburn. Not even a hint of a sunburn.

Oh, sure, my skin got red in some areas of my body – just getting arterioles expanding closer to my skin.

The point is, the amount of time I spent in the sun without burning tells me I have a pretty good solar callus.

Woo-hoo!

I’m in good shape for benefiting from the Number 1 source of healing that Jack cites: sunshine.

In the back of my mind I’m also happy that I’ve got my “cancer vaccine” (sunshine) humming along nicely. And I’m even happier that I’m getting a healthy dose of UVC from my plasma deuterium.

I haven’t felt this invincible since I was a teenager and too dumb to know any better. :)

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Sounds great Dennis .....what else are you doing on your optimal journey?

4. Dennis Clark

Hi, Caroline...Boy, you sure are busy! Thanks again for taking notice. I always hope that my comments, especially here on my Optimal Journal, are educational and maybe even inspirational to others. It's a combination of paying back AND paying forward.

About your question, I've experimented with quite a few things, some with success and others without it - yet. (Ever optimistic.)

I live as close to a circadian lifestyle as I can. I avoid exposure to artificial lights in my eyes (blue blocking goggles) after sundown. Still shooting for reducing it on my skin, too. My bedside reading lamp is a bug light - i.e., yellow. I think I'll be changing it out to red pretty soon. I turn on a UVA lamp (365 nm) for a short while before turning out the lights completely for the night. Even what little I have changed in this respect has already made my sleep much better.

I've experimented with dipping my face in ice water to see if I can reduce my slight case of tinnitus. No clear results yet.

My diet in phenomenal - seafood of some kind nearly every day. My favorites are ahi tuna, sockeye salmon, shrimp (we get wild-caught Argentine red shrimp pretty often here) and oysters (canned/smoked or whole and raw). Throw in clams (canned/smoked) and sardines once or twice a week, too.

My skin is so dark that I often get comments from my friends and family about how I'm inviting skin cancer. Yesterday at the golf course (now playing about 4 times a week, just to get outside more) someone asked me what my dermatologist thinks. My response was something like, "Dermatologists don't know crap about how skin really works." Maybe I could use some more patience?

I'm gratified that a good friend of mine just bought a new house and is having a cold plunge installed in the back yard. That makes at least two people who have bought into CTing after I explained it to them. One starfish at a time.

Oh, and a friend who is a naturopathic physician has started working on her solar callus. This, in spite of initially claiming that her northern European super-white skin would burn in a heartbeat. Another starfish!

Biohacking and making changes in how I live have been central to my life since I came on board with "Krusology" back in 2015. Telling others about what I've learned has made me into a bit of a 'rooster'. I look forward to learning something new every day and letting others know about how my new knowledge can be of benefit to them.

My next biohack will involve salt. I've been exploring commentary here on the forum by jack and others about it. In fact, I'm going to stop here for now and go have a teaspoon of sea salt. I'm sure I'll have something more to say about what I've been doing real soon.

Oh, and I am about to take Jack's advice about dry brushing my skin. At the moment my 'old-man crepey skin' is really too thin. This biohack will take some time, so I don't expect quick results to report on any time soon.

Cheers,
    Dennis

5. Dr. @Dennis Clark – Nice update, I appreciate your honest straightforward approach.

I may not have your intelligence (judging from your professional success); however, if you may entertain some questions, I have would appreciate it.

Circadian rhythm – I’m wondering why you’re needing to read at night. If it’s a discretion (pleasure reading) to get your mind off it’s chatter, my wife does the same. I prefer to use bio-feed-back tools and techniques. I use this time for “focused” release, gratitude with the intention to influence a sweet deep REM experience.

Cold Therapy is not for the timid. We first need to understand our why for doing this. Will the therapy potentially improve specific bio-markers we are interested in changing? It may be “generally” good for our mitochondria, may influence hormone expression; but to get yourself to immerse in 50 degree water for a minimum of 20 minutes three to five times per week, takes a driving “purpose”.

Nice job on diet – question about nutrition – how’s your DHEA & pregnenolone lab level results?

There is a concern about darker skin – that is UV protection. Since we believe, UV is our friend, the basic stimulator for building our hormones, you may want to make sure your testosterone levels are good and your estradiol is low.

Have you read - http://thesaltfix.com/ by Dr. DiNicolantonio?

Tinnitus – As you know, this is a neurological problem not an ear mechanism issue. Most of the time it can be correlated with nnEMF as the main influencer. Our current mitigation efforts may not be good enough.

Grandpa John

6. Dennis Clark

@John Schumacher:

Hi, John:

I love your commentary and questions. Input from others such as yourself are a great source of thought-inspiration. I have answers to some of your questions, so see what you think.

First off, I appreciate your comment about my intelligence. I always thought of myself (and still do) as an overachiever, not necessarily really smart. Everyone has innate intelligence, and it may take any of several forms (according to the theory of multiple intelligences). My “form” of intelligence best fits the “logical-mathematical” type, which is the most common type addressed by our educational system. (It also selects for teachers who teach to it, thereby giving folks like me a leg up in the classroom right at the outset.)

The reason I read at night is exactly what you described for your wife. It is a lifelong habit. My nighttime reading is purely brain candy. My daytime reading is, in contrast, always educational. E.g., about the value of REM (and non-REM) sleep, one of my recent daytime books was Matthew Walker’s Why We Sleep. I also continue to explore meditation tools (CDs from the Monroe Institute and by William Buhl regarding out-of-body exploration). Sometimes I study these instead of pleasure reading, the better to inspire me to power up my subconscious while I sleep. In addition, once I turn out the lights I practice TM until nodding off.

Your comments are spot on about cold therapy. Not the easiest thing in the world to do. I was initially inspired to dip into CT (pretty bad pun, huh?) by Jack’s CT series. Then I did some digging into the research on my own. One result is a brief blog post here: https://herbscientist.com/get-healthy-live-longer-with-cold-thermogenesis/.

My goal in that post was to explain CT in a way that would give others some direction that they could use for using it themselves. It also fueled my “why” even further. Now I’ve practiced CT every winter. And I still aim to fix up a chilling system so I can do it outdoors year round, even here in hot central Arizona.

By the way, I like to write about what I learn, as a way to understand things better. (Teachers have to know everything!) Many times I go back to something I wrote a while back and find errors. Learning is continuous. And it is fun. If you find anything I’ve said here on the forum or on my blog that isn’t correct – or, worse, is just plain stupid – please let me know.

Regarding my DHEA and pregnenolone labs. The last time I had them measured was 2015. DHEA-S was ca. 192 mcg/dL and pregnenolone around 84 ng/dL. Both are within ‘normal’ ranges acc. to conventional wisdom. However, I know they aren’t optimal.

At the same time my testosterone was low (8.7 pg/mL) and estradiol high (44 pg/mL). I need to have them rechecked to see where I am after nearly 5 years as a mitochondriac.

About salt. I’ll be ordering a book about it either by DiNicolantonio or Brownstein. I’ve always enjoyed learning what Brownstein has to say – esp, for example, about iodone.

My tinnitus is up and down so much that I am baffled by what makes it vary. I think one of the best strategies – maybe THE best – for reducing it (besides avoiding whatever makes it worse, if and when I figure this out) is meditation. Jack has stated this directly. Since I am a long-time practitioner of TM who fell off the wagon, I’ll have to do this biohack by getting better at it.

Whew! That was a lot. And a lot of fun ‘chatting’ about.

Cheers,
    Dennis

John Schumacher likes this.
  7. Dr. @Dennis Clark -> May I recommend James J. DiNicolantonio, Pharm. D., is a respected cardiovascular research scientist, doctor of pharmacy at Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas City, Missouri, and the associate editor of British Medical Journal's (BMJ) Open Heart. He is the author or coauthor of approximately 200 publications in medical literature.

Dr. Brownstein's approach to thyroid disorders is quite old and if you don't mind me saying -> behind the times.

Have read -> Dr. Izabella Wentz. Izabella Wentz, PharmD, FASCP https://thyroidpharmacist.com/

About Bio-feed-back and neuro-training -> have you considered https://www.brain.fm/science
    upload_2020-6-23_16-20-19.png
    I use Brain.fm for focused concentration and sleep.

Please consider using the https://dutchtest.com/info-dutch-plus/ for your next DHEA, Testostorine, Estradiol tests -> I'd love to see your numbers.

Tinnitus -> Are you sure your nnEMF mitigation is sufficient? -> "Phoenix is one of the first cities to get 5G cell service" https://www.azcentral.com/story/mon...ke-use-5-g-sprint-verizon-phoenix/2165327001/

About Cold Therapy -> Dr. Clark (I don't know if you have MD appended); you say you're mathematical and love to teach by writing it down.
    OK -> here's your challenge -> Write for me a paper on Cold Therapy's effect on "the human cellular respiration steps through our mitochondria."

For example: I wrote "The Effect of Sunlight Exposure on the Human Intestinal Microbiome" – on https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/granpa-johns-optimal-journal.23952/page-3

I would appreciate your feedback,

Grandpa John

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  8. Dennis Clark

@John Schumacher

Grandpa John:

Thanks so much for your input. One result is that I took a look at your optimal journal - and decided I'd have to block off some serious time to really dig into it. You've been busy. Per your advice about DiNicolantonio's book, I've just placed my order. Ahead of this, I have experimented with salt a couple of times (Redmond's). The first tsp. really upset my tummy. Today the same amt. in a small glass of water caused no such issue. I'll keep your recommendation about dutchtest in mind when I look to get another DHEA analysis. No, I am not sure how well nnEMF mitigation is working here in Phoenix. The 5G distribution map here is misleading. I found two addresses for new stations withing 5 miles of my home, and neither one was a station at all. I like the idea of exploring more deeply the connection between CT and mitochondria, so I'll take you up on your suggestion there. The first time I read through the CT series, I had no idea of the connection. I'll download the pdf versions of each CT post so I can read them offline while I'm up in the mountains this weekend. I also cut & pasted your essay on UVB/microbiome and will read that in more detail this weekend, too. Staty tuned!

Cheers,
    Dennis

John Schumacher likes this.