1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Defining Epi-Paleo

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by MartiD, Jul 19, 2012.

1. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I have searched all over this site and can't seem to find where the definition of Epigenic-Paleo is listed. Is there a blog somewhere I missed? It seems like it just started being used a few months back and I missed it something somewhere. I know it is increasing DHA to the Paleo Diet to add in all the minerals our body needs but wonder if there is a better explaination somewhere on the site. Thanks.

2. ealachan

ealachan New Member

To my knowledge, he hasn't actually outlined it yet.

3. Melinda

Melinda New Member

From comments on the newest blog post BG-5

Jack Says:

July 18th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

@Lynn Regarding you question……..will there be a cliff note version written in english of BG 5 for the NON GEEKS? Sure here it is: Simple eat more seafood than meat……..bacon still rocks but is best with scallops and oysters. Your life depends upon it. Got it?

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

the rx will be in this month's member webinar if I understand correctly

5. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Thanks for info. I assumed he was referring to a version of Paleo that includes a substantial amount of seafood instead of other forms of protein but just couldn't find a clear statement to confirm my understanding!

6. ealachan

ealachan New Member

He actually gives pretty specific amounts of seafood to consume in the body of the BG5 blog. I just read it. He's saying half a pound daily...more if you're not eating it raw.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

it's really a pound a day b/c there's a conversion error as addressed in the comment section

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I've been eating about half a pound daily. Ok, I've got another dietary goal to achieve...

9. Going out on a limbic limb here about cooking shellfish; as a kid I was lucky enough (I realise now) to grow up by a marine environment. It was a salt marsh, an estuary tidal area of outstanding natural beauty. We kids would spend all our playdays, like little merpeople, in and out of that refreshing North Sea water (and mud!).

We collected the abundant shellfish that abounded there; cockles, winkles, clams and mussels. But even as children we very quickly learnt that the easiest way into a seashell was to cook it! Some of the older lads would lay a big wood fire on the beach (loads of dry drift wood laying just above the high water line) get it blazing, then knock the fire down into a flat area and lay the shellfish directly on the glowing embers.

30 seconds later: voila!- an open shell with the prized nugget of seafood inside, all ready to be easily picked out of the shell (using an empty pair of mussel shells as a pair of tweezers) and slurped down.

Ok, I suppose they were 'almost raw'. But cooked enough so that the proteins holding those shells so tightly closed had denatured enough to lose their hold. Automatically the shells would open, revealing the tasty morsel inside.

They had a divine smoky flavour (is that the the source of the 'bacon' instinct?) but more importantly; no cut fingers from trying to crack those pesky shells (no oyster shucking knives!) and then scrape out just miserable gobbets of raw seameat with horrid slivers of broken shell to crunch down on.

We would gather our 'prey' all afternoon, then in the early evening sit around the smoky campfire on the beach, eating shellfish till we were stuffed! Happily we would wander home in the evening twilight to the comfort of our beds.

Just try opening a live oyster without a knife!

It's my suggestion that, way back when before the knife, as soon as we got a grip on lighting fires, we cooked our clams and mussels.

http://www.nordhavn.com/egret/images/april9_1.jpg

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am hoping to learn more from you guys - I am bummed - I can't make the next webinar that will tell us about all of this. I have 2 appointments that I can't change. I think I have this right - it would be at 9.am on the 25th in OZ.

11. Coriander

Coriander Silver

In Melbourne it will be 10am Wednesday 25th.

12. Lucky you. In Europe it will be 2 am. So much for following circadian biology.. :eek:

13. Coriander

Coriander Silver

I was up at 2am to watch the Factor X webinar; didn't want to wait for that one!

14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Localad, sounds so idyllic.

No wonder you're such a smart lad!

15. I travel back there whenever I can, Nonchalant. It's such a beautiful area.

[​IMG]

16. I travel back there whenever I can, Nonchalant. It's such a beautiful area.

[​IMG]

http://ow.ly/i/KrHx (high tide)

My Mum liked seafood so I think I had a good start. But there were always sweets and look at that wheat growing in the first photo's foreground; East Anglia, the cereal bowl of the UK!

I guess most of my teeth had mercury amalgams by the time I was 20.

Then there was 30 years of wine, women and wheat.

10 years on from 50, I've given up one of those, chosen one in moderation and the other; well let's just say I've learnt my lessons!

I have found that Dr K's insights have tied together many loose strands in my search for real health as I stumble through the pharma/fooda fog.

I'm returning to my childhood delights; Sea, Sun, Shellfish, Sleep.....but this time no bread, buns, or biscuits!

(...and no statins!)

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks for that Corriander -

18. I can see the writing on the wall and I absolutely HATE fish, shellfish etc. etc. Now raw!?? Oh, tis too too much!

Gasp! Choke, I'll, I'll get over it though.

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

TerryF, give it a few days, I think you'll change your mind. The body starts to recognize a good thing, and then there's no going back!