1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Dealing with Osteoarthritis

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by TrickiDicki, Aug 4, 2014.

1. TrickiDicki

TrickiDicki New Member

Hi guys, Jack,
    I'm male, mid 40s. As a child I suffered from Perthes disease, a degenerative disease of the femur head. As I grew older I was less affected by the problem apart from the odd flare up. A couple of years ago I started low carb Paleo (a la bulletproof) and saw great results in weight loss, vitality and mental capability but earlier this year I suffered an acute flare up of my hip condition. X-rays and MRIs confirmed I have severe osteoarthritis in both hips. I'm now booked for the first total hip replacement surgery in January, 5 months away.
    Some recent investigation suggests that a low carb diet can impact the production of proteoglycans which are important for cartilage health, synovial fluid health etc.
    So this brings me to ask for some advice. Does my reasoning make sense, that the low carb diet may have contributed to a worsening of a chronic osteo injury? If so, is it possible to firstly stop the decline but more importantly start reversing the damage? Is it possible to see any improvement within a 5 month period before I go the surgical route?
    To reverse the degenerative process I figure I'm going to need to amp up stem cell activity, blood supply to the area and minimise systemic inflammation.
    I'm currently doing CT once or twice a week and taking saunas once or twice a week, get sun exposure as often as possible, taking cod liver oil, glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement, collagen powder and eating bone-based stews, vitamins B, C and multivitamins. I am drinking spring water and get good sleep.
    I'm planning to add vitamin K2 to the mix, double down on the cold water therapy and add some low inflam glucose source daily (rice, sweet potato).
    Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
    Thanks

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Tricki, welcome!
    If you could post a pic, Jack might answer you.
    I also went low carb high fat, and saw great health benefits, but my spine (which was already damaged by grains) went into a freefall. I developed scoliosis, and my right hip became a mess, making walking difficult. I believe, from what I have learned here, that the reason for this quick deterioration was dehydration, on top of a lack of seafood DHA, and the previously damaged joints.

The good news is that I think you can reverse your hip issue, but it will take time. The biggest help for mine was huge amounts of reverse osmosis water, daily seafood, ice baths, and squatting several times a day. I saw improvement starting in about a month. Can I ask where you live? If you are in a big city or somewhere with high EMF, grounding your back, which was another big help for me, might not be beneficial. Chiropractic care also helped my spine realign, once I started getting stronger. Avoiding EMF, which is dehydrating, is very important.

Vitamin K2 (mk4) is great. I'm not sure low-inflam carbs exist, unless you live near the equator. If you are in the northern hemisphere, you should probably be reducing carbohydrates in preparation for winter. I have heard that some people who take chondroitin end up with shellfish allergies, which would be very bad, since shellfish would be one of your best friends for getting out of this situation.

I hope this helps, and I hope you stay with us. There is a lot to learn here.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi and welcome. have you been reading Dr.K's blogs? There are three osteoporosis blogs and many others that connect the dots. Do you have Dr. K's book? The Epi-Paleo RX? That is a must read to get an overview of the first couple of years of the blog.

Please read the last blog OSF #8 and listen to the podcast that Dr. Kruse links to.

There is a lot you need to consider ........

nonchalant has great advice.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    TrickiDicki likes this.
  4. TrickiDicki

TrickiDicki New Member

Thank you for your reply! I'll look further into the dehydration issue.
    I am already mitigating EMF - no wifi near the bedroom, grounding my bed. I'm lucky to live in a rural area - quiet and peaceful. Work is a different matter but I try to get out every lunchtime and I'm getting a variable sit/stand workstation so I can stand for a while during the day. I'm using a power band to simulate deadlifts and generate some load into the pelvis which actually relieves pain and stiffness. I'm trying to source K2 at the moment.
    I'll have to think about 'posting pics' - they feel quite personal...!

5. TrickiDicki

TrickiDicki New Member

Thank you for your pointers where to start with the reading. Much appreciated.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

is it okay if I call you Dick? i can't see myself calling you trickidicki anytime soon!

You say you are grounding your bed ...what do you mean? how?
    Do you have all electronics out of your bedroom? Do you have a smart meter?
    Do you get outside and ground at lunchtime? barefeet?

Have you read the leptin reset RX on the home page? ...getting started...

Dr. Kruse tells us to use supplements in their natural package!

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Do you live near a lake or ocean?

8. TrickiDicki

TrickiDicki New Member

I'm OK with Richard! Good to meet you Caroline and thanks for your pointers so far. I don't live near an ocean or lake but do have a backyard pool (which is currently a bracing 6 celcius...!)
    I'm grounding the bed with a strip of metallic tape under the sheet, a wire running to a spike in the garden and a 1mOhm inline resistor. There is a smart meter but it's at the other end of the house from the bedrooms. All electronics are out of the bedroom.
    I go barefoot if I can but not every lunchtime.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

‘Unhealthy’ dietary fats — not just obesity — may contribute to worsening osteoarthritis, according to researchers from Duke Medicine.
    The study, published in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases on July 11, 2014, showed that mice consuming a supplement of omega 3 fatty acids had healthier joints than those fed diets high in saturated fats and omega 6 fatty acids.
    “Our results suggest that dietary factors play a more significant role than mechanical factors in the link between obesity and osteoarthritis,” said Farshid Guilak, Ph.D., Laszlo Ormandy Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Duke and the study’s senior author.
    Obesity is one of the primary risk factors for osteoarthritis, although the mechanisms linking these conditions are not fully understood. It has been assumed that increased weight wears the joints out, but this doesn’t explain why arthritis is also found in hands and other joints that are not weight bearing.
    http://ausfoodnews.com.au/2014/08/04/omega-3-fatty-acids-may-lessen-severity-of-osteoarthritis-study.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AustralianFoodNews+%28Australian+Food+News%29

Omega-3 fatty acids may lessen severity of osteoarthritis, study ausfoodnews.com.au
    'Unhealthy' dietary fats — not just obesity — may contribute to worsening osteoarthritis, according to researchers from Duke Medicine.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Resolvins are formed when DHA in the cell membranes of your joints breaks down or by addition of acetyl group from aspirin, the one which inhibits COX2, to DHA.
    Which makes the old folk's remedy of cod liver oil plus cider vinegar for arthritis look pretty reasonable.

MonteD and Josh like this.
  11. caroline

caroline Moderator

Good morning Richard! Where are you located? 6c pool would be great if you are doing C/T!!

I don't understand your grounding system .....There is a lot to consider there too....dirty electricity etc. You can often be drawing unwanted electricity to you.
    Can you turn the breaker off to your bedroom? Do your neighbours have smart meters? yours could also be a relay point between other meters and the base station.

There is a great youtube video somewhere done by a Canadian army radio expert ....that just chills you to the bone.

Are you doing the leptin reset? using the epi paleo template?

keep reading and asking questions ...Dr. K. always tells us there are no stupid questions.

please do put up a pic ....Jack's new rule ...no pic - no Jack! He is a busy guy - he likes to see who he is talking to.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

I forgot to say ..... please start a journal in the journal section. It helps to keep track of stuff for you and gives Dr. Kruse more context.

it also helps everyone ... you never know who is reading with similar problems....

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Nice Pic Richard!!! thanks....

TrickiDicki likes this.
  14. TrickiDicki

TrickiDicki New Member

Ah! I thought you meant some medical imaging! You're right though, nice to put a face to a name.

Regarding EMF - my grounding system is independent of the house wiring, is clean and goes straight under the roses in the garden (I tried the earth wire once - nasty!) and is away from radios, wifi, cell phones, smart meters etc.

Jack - thanks for your comments regarding fatty acid . I certainly avoid omega-6's and indeed notice increased discomfort if I do (rarely) lapse. Would you suggest low-dose aspirin to complement the fish oil?

Much, much appreciated.

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I use a similar grounding system when I'm in the country, and my back loves it. I use a sheet of conductive fabric (from LessEMF.com) so that my entire body is grounded. When my back was in worse condition, I would often feel tiny trickles of sensation in my back and hips when laying on it. It was like I could feel the inflammation leaving. :) I miss those tiny lightning bolts. But I still occasionally feel them when its been a while since I last grounded.

I don't think Dr. K would suggest a regimen of aspirin.

Do you use ice packs regularly on your hips? I used to sleep on Cryo-Max ice packs. I'd put them underneath the grounding sheet, so I could benefit from the two things at once.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Alex97232 likes this.
  16. I think I saw on TV yesterday or the day before about a study showing that low-dose aspirin is protective of cancer?? Is that right? Maybe Jack can weigh in here with his thoughts on aspirin. He already did somewhere else and mostly he is against it, but why??

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Well, he did put the word "acid" in a bold font when he gave the full name of aspirin. Must be a clue. An acid would not be conducive to structured water.

18. Jude

Jude Gold

Think iirc from a vlc thread......it can be both a door to heaven and hell.......

found it

JK said
    I told you long ago in the mitochondrial series that aspirin is an uncoupler of ETC.........go look.......why is that a big deal to those who cant tunnel if you're following me? The obesogenic effect of omega 6s can be blocked by drugs like NSAID's, a cyclo oxygenase inhibitor. This is why if your mitochondria are bad you need to have a doc to understand this nuance.......NSAID's are also two edged swords for humans.......they can help or they can kill you based upon your context.
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-carb-insulin-resistance.8934/page-4

Alex97232 and nonchalant like this.
  19. Thanks! Makes perfect sense. It depends. That is so, how do we say, "quantum." :D

20. TrickiDicki

TrickiDicki New Member

Thank you for your comments and input so far. I'm still doing the reading and trying to educate myself what all this means. I have a physics background not medicine so the terminology is a mouthful :eek:
    Incidentally, I have posted my 'protocol' as working notes here. I've improved my earthing system to include a switch because if I lay directly on the earthing strip I was waking due to the tingling. That is improving night by night. I'm keeping up the daily CT but the warm fingers of spring are spreading and the water temp is now up to 9. With luck we'll get a few more cool snaps to extend the season.
    And in other news, I went for a walk in the bush today - steep, muddy slopes, uneven surfaces etc. Maybe it's just the placebo effect, or a 'good day'...