1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Daylight vs. Actual Sunshine

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by lookingforanswers, May 20, 2015.

1. lookingforanswers

lookingforanswers New Member

So I guess this is somewhat of a biohack! I posted before that we are planning to move south. Even in the north I know I do better over summer, but I've been struggling with knowing whether that's from getting real, legit sunshine or from longer daylight hours. I keep thinking that moving south really isn't going to give me any more actual daylight than what I'm already getting. One of my main problems I have is with temperature regulation. I tend to get really hot - especially my neck and upper body - in the evenings. I've finally realized this almost always happens when the sun goes down, which is why winter is so much worse for me. It starts so much earlier - around 5 PM and lasts all evening. In the summer, especially now that it's staying light out til 8:30 or so, it doesn't start until much later.

So, I spent the last few days mostly inside - not getting a lot of sun at all and I found that my body temp issues were still much improved over the winter. Normally over the summer I am earthing and getting sun 6-8 hours at least each day, but the last few days I wasn't doing that and I still was better. This makes me think it's the longer daylight that is really the catalyst to my improvements and not so much the sunshine.

Which of course begs the question once again - will going south to Florida really be beneficial for me? I'm only going to get an extra 30 minutes of daylight versus what I'm getting here - not really anything significant.

ANy thoughts on this?

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I forget where you are moving from, Looking, but it isn't just 30 more minutes of sunlight. The intensity of the sunshine is much stronger.

You seem to be seeing that your internal temperature regulation is a function of energy, thus the evening problems for you. Do you currently CT? That helps you regulate your temp, whether it is summer or winter.

I pay close attention to my perception of body heat/cold. It is often the first sign that I need to do something to raise my energy levels.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

As to your question, it's got to be both, duration and intensity of sunlight. Both will affect you in different ways. And since everyone is different, we all see the effects differently.

4. lookingforanswers

Thanks for the input nonchalant. Yes, I have been CTing as much as I can tolerate. With my body temp issues it is pretty difficult for me, but I take 1-2 cold baths per day with the water temp being around 55 degrees. I generally only last 15-20 minutes though! I'm going to keep trying for longer duration.

5. shah78

shah78 Gold

I've been comparing New England to Florida for twenty years. Slam dunk. Florida. When we drive down to Florida each fall, I feel better as soon as I hit New Jersey. Placebo? Really? New Jersey is no placebo!:)

fitness@home likes this.
  6. lookingforanswers

Interesting @shah78 ! We used to visit FL 1-2 times a year in the past before I got sick and I always called it "my happy place!" I ALWAYS felt better there, but the last couple of trips (after getting ill) haven't had quite the positive boost for me that I was hoping to experience. I know it's not going to happen overnight though . . . my expectations were just a bit too high ;)