1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Dave's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Arete, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Arete

Arete New Member

Hey all, my name is Dave. I've been coming to this forum off and on for around two years. In those two years, I've grasped the general concepts that Jack talks about. Namely, the three legged stool.
    I did have a journal before but I didn't update it or progress in any of the protocols very well. So, I decided to start fresh.

Where I'm at right now...
    I suffer from Psoriasis, Adrenal Fatigue, Leaky Gut, Brain Fog, and I binge eat pretty bad.
    I have tried keto, cold therapy, blocking blue, among other things with varying levels of success. There are obstacles in my current environment.
    I'm sure there's a few of you who have come across previous posts of mine displaying my frustration.

Right now, I believe I keep failing because I'm missing the Sun. Central Canada has long winters with low UV and I miss a great deal of UV in the summer because of my job. If I recall correct, the fact that I have Psoriasis implies that I'm UV light deficient and or blue light toxic.

@Sean Waters, on my other post, told me about a website called workaway.info, where you can volunteer in different countries. Him, and others suggested I make an account and apply to high UV light places and or the Riviera Maya region of Mexico to recharge my solar battery.
    So that's exactly what I'm doing. I've made an account on workaway.info and I've started applying to various places in that area. I just informed my boss today that I will be leaving. It sounded like he wanted me to stay until the start of April. That works for me since I have a fair bit of preparation to do for this trip like getting adequate travel insurance (I've heard horror stories of financial ruin), immunizations, lining up a place, booking flights, and saving up a little money wouldn't hurt as well.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their input on my other posts. I hope to report back with more good news in the future!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

welcome back

Arete likes this.
  3. @Infinite True Traveller do a good insurance for "backpackers", competitive price and comprehensive cover. You can purchase a year and don't need return ticket to prove you are coming back. You can also renew when you're out there I think if you want to stay longer. So it's effectively One-Way ticket insurance.

Check Costa Rica, Guatemala, Panama and Nicaragua for workaway jobs, Yucatana Mexico and Belize seem to have fewer vacancies.

Good luck

Arete likes this.
  4. Arete

Arete New Member

Good to be back!

True Traveller... I'll look into that.

Thanks for the tips!

5. Arete

Arete New Member

Update time..

I've decided, perhaps unwisely, to call off travelling to Mexico until next winter rolls around. The UV light is returning in my location and I feel as though there is some loose ends I should tie up this summer before I go. I bought a white water kayak that my cousin picked up for me from Alberta and I'd feel bad if he did that just to have me leave and not use it at all. White water kayaking is also a hobby conducive to healing with it by default being outside and immersed in sunlight and water. I hope to do that a lot this summer.

I'm also currently looking into getting my PADI diving open water certificate in hopes of using it when I eventually do go away to Mexico this winter. That's also something that will get me outside.

I've joined Toastmasters in hopes of alleviating my anxiety of talking in front of groups of people, so I'll be working on that as much as possible before I leave. In addition, I'm trying to learn the guitar, which is another thing I've always wanted to do but haven't up to this point in my life.

Also, I've more recently found out that I suffer from Tinea Versicolor as opposed to Psoriasis. Finding that out made the alarm bells in my mind subside a bit. I imagine it's still a light problem, but not as serious as Psoriasis. I've started applying Selsun Blue extra strength shampoo to it daily.

I bought a ruby lux all red LED light as well. I figure I'll just use it at night to "offset" the blue light exposure I get from my job.

I've recently uninstalled all my social media apps except for the group chat I have with my friends and disabled notifications on my phone in hopes of training myself to have a deeper focus in my daily life. That is helping tremendously with my mood and brain function.

So, that's where I'm at.

Sean Waters likes this.
  6. Arete

Arete New Member

Short and sweet...

I never doubted the power of the sun, but WOW! I'm finally getting a firsthand experience of it's beneficial effects.

Since my last update, and since the UV light has returned in my area, I've been trying my best to get out in the sun as much as possible in the mornings, afternoons and evenings with as little clothing on as possible. The effects have been amazing! My mood and emotional stability hasn't been better in, well, maybe ever. My sex drive has returned, and I care waaaay less about what others think of me naturally. It's simply astounding!

I've also been trying to CT whenever I can whether it's from swimming in the lake nearby or just a cold shower after dinner.

My environment still sucks a lot of the time with the current job I'm in, the social environment and my home environment (wifi, bad lighting). I feel better in the short term when I eat carbs and drink a lot of coffee. It's not ideal in the long run, but the sun seems to be bailing me out in the short term.

I guess the biggest change has been my approach and mentality to all of this, from the sun's glorious rays. Before, I tried to follow every suggestion to the T and I would get really down on myself and frustrated when I would lapse. Now, I don't sweat it as long as I'm making steady improvements in the direction I want to go in.

Sean Waters and drezy like this.
  7. Arete

Arete New Member

Update:

I've attached some pictures of the CT tub I recently finished. My inspiration came from @drezy 's CT tub thread. https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/ct-chamber-experiment-interested.19445/
    There was a lot of soldering involved... I haven't actually tested out how efficient it is at cooling the water because the water coming out of my garden hose was 43F! Score 1 for Canada. I filled my tub 4 days ago and it was still at 55F earlier today without me running the system yet. I'm wondering how long I can go without changing the water?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Sean Waters, KrusinWitchie and drezy like this.
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

Wow,I've done copper + solder work for my shower.

Your work in those pictures is very impressive @Infinite! Great work!

9. Arete

Arete New Member

Thanks! I should mention that my older brother gave me a lot of guidance with this project as well.

Did you ever install your UV water filter?

How often do you change your water?

drezy likes this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

I have not yet. It seems that any time I make changes or even clean out the tub someone is standing behind me waiting.

With 3 regular users we'll go 2-3 weeks between cleaning. If I can see the bottom I'm fine with it. I used to swim in creeks so I don't think this would be that much worse.

My city buddy looked into my tub and said "Holy s#it!" His setup is single user and I think he cleans it weekly.

Nobody here gets bothered by milky looking water.

KrusinWitchie and Arete like this.
  11. drezy

drezy Gold

Just did today. Thanks for the reminder.