1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Dark chocolate / Resveratrol

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by healthy2015, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Hi
    I have a few questions about dark chocolate and resveratrol.

1. How much benefit do you get from eating dark chocolate?

2. Does resveratrol enhance the vitamin d receptor?

3. I struggle with drinking red wine and oxalates can anyone suggest a different source of resveratrol please although I do like dark chocolate?

4. How much of a circadian mismatch would eating dark chocolate create if you were eating it at high latitude for example in the UK during the winter/colder months or would the benefits of dark chocolate/ resveratrol outweigh the negatives?

Thank you in advance

Sean Waters likes this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

3. Thanks Jansz But I thought Jack was not keen with supplementation?

4. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras

Try following up what you eat and drink with extra spring water.
    Spring water works wonders for me specially when I eat any kind of plants, I would even follow up the wine with water.

I used to be very hesitant to drink water, was concerned with depleting electrolytes. Couple months back I just winged it and started drinking way more water and it improved things quite a bit.

I live 54N so similar latitude to UK

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    healthy2015 likes this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Dihydromyricetin (DHM) (Hovenia Dulcis Extract)
    Alcohol Consumption Support Supplement (Naturally Obtained from The Oriental Raisin Tree)
    upload_2021-6-16_6-31-8.png

And say thank you to Grandpa John
    @John Schumacher

healthy2015 likes this.
  6. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras

Information online on Bolivian native diets is conflicting. One website says their diet is heavy in plants, the next website says their diet is high in animal foods. And all of these websites seem to presuppose that eating meat is bad and highly biased towards plant based diets. Also another website says they have a lot of parasites which supposedly makes them healthier.

7. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras

8. Sean Waters

Sean Waters New Member

ND Hauf likes this.
  9. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

Unless I buy a UK wine (more like a champagne, and very expensive), all wines would technically be a year round mismatch, as would cocoa beans ..... and coffee .... and turmeric .... and coconut oil ..... etc

I don't know the figures for resveratrol but a good quality Balsamic vinegar de Modena is made from grape must, and contains it. BV becomes cheaper if its mixed with white vinegar .... 100% BV can be eye wateringly expensive, but I'd avoid any where white vinegar is the top ingredient. On a bottle where grape must is the top ingredient it could give you a reasonable amount of polyphenols, without the alcohol but with the benefits of acetic acid. (One ref is https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20460711/)

I use it in salad dressing with EVOO, and also make a spritzer of San Pellegrino and Balsamic. (Steven Gundry's recipe is 8-10 oz San Pellegrino with 1 to 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar de Modena).

According to William Li in his book Eat to Beat Disease, resveratrol is in such small amounts in red wines and most resveratrol containing foods (such as blueberries, pistachios, cranberries and peanuts) it would take a huge intake of red wine to match the amounts used in most research studies. Depends what you are dealing with, but he thinks this could be one of the exceptions to relying on food.

:)

JanSz likes this.
  10. 8Phoenix

8Phoenix New Member

Try mixing wine with sea water if you want do it better. Quiton

If everything works like dynamo ( motor)
    Resveratrol is one of the magnets I wonder what would be the others

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Thanks;
    It looks to me like
    it has to be from Modena or is not even called balsamic.
    I do not see on the labels the Must be mentioned, so no %% of Must is given, but if it is, it is
    Must and vinegar
    or
    Winegar and Must (the one I have). (So mine likely have more vinegar than Must).
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=grape+must+balsamic+vinegar&i=grocery&rh=n:16310101,p_72:1248897011&s=price-desc-rank&dc&qid=1624622591&rnid=1248895011&ref=sr_st_price-desc-rank
    upload_2021-6-25_8-9-4.png

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  13. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

The labelling is confusing in the UK. If the top ingredient is wine vinegar, and the second ingredient is the grape musk, it could be 51% to 49%, but I don't know if they could get away with say a 90% to 10% ratio, or similar, whilst charging a premium. So I reckon if grape musk is first on the list, it hopefully has to be 51% minimum, and I can base my price decision on that. The resveratrol and polyphenols from the grape musk are one thing, and I'm going through the info on this about vinegar ....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6723943/
    The Short-Chain Fatty Acid Acetate in Body Weight Control and Insulin Sensitivity

Josie Thomson likes this.