1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cycloset and FBG update, oh my!

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by kathylu, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Ughh, that's a bad start to the day. Hope you are feeling better. Are you raising the cycloset in the hopes of seeing FBG improvements? I've been on it a little over a week now without a problem. However, yesterday evening I started feeling pretty nauseous. I never feel nausea unless something's going on, so I braced myself for a night of throw-up bug. Nothing ever came of it though. I took a ton of probiotics and went to bed, and today it's gone. I'm wondering if the cycloset is involved though.

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yes the whole morning blew literally :)o) had to lay down after cleaning up.... sitting down for some shrimp cooked in Macadamia nut oil... hoping that will stay down

and yes I was upping the cycloset to help control FBG... so far its still running high

3. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Question for you ole' smart one: I have exactly what you said, the must eat now thing. I recently found out I have fat malabsorption. If I cannot use the fat, that means that my body goes for sugar correct and maybe that is why this happens? So, if I can finally digest fat with taking ox bile does that mean my body will eventually use fat for energy instead of sugar if I continue to feed it right? This occurred to me last night and I hope I am on the right path! Jack has answered so many questions lately in my consults. I "think" I am nailing all my issues down.

Thanks!

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I would think so... I don't have fat malabsorption but b/c of PCOS my insulin spikes b/c of hormone surges - even when pushing the fat...

5. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Even though I am really bummed by his thoughts about what's all wrong, for the first time since I have started reading to fix myself over 3 years now, I finally feel like I am going to get there. This has been one longass haul is all I can say.;) Perhaps one of these days when I am actually using the fat I eat, my brain will thank me and I will start putting more pieces together! I also wonder if that is why my moods attack me? I have no fat for my poor brain to use and how can one ever feel good running on empty!

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I would really push the seafood and MUFAs (esp raw) it will help heal your gut. I've definitely noticed a change in gut flora since pushing the seafood hard w/a focus of at least 2meals /day and I had a MHS this weekend and it was as bad as I thought it would be (not an every day thing - but at least 1x/week!)

7. Jude

Jude Gold

Am pleased you stated what you really thought of the MHS !--" it was as bad as I thought it would be". I still haven't had a go but felt quite sure it would be an act of just swallow and get over it. Am quite sure I will be one of your 'ilk' when it comes to the taste....but hope to imitate your resolve. Soon......

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Jude. That should have said not as bad as I thought it would be.

9. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

How do you manage the timing of taking your cycloset if you wake up too early? Like 3am dealing with kid stuff, and then not managing to get back to sleep? Or just waking up yourself earlier than you would like to get up (before sunrise)? Take it, get up (in the dark) and start the day (BAB before sunrise?)? Curious how others are handling these imperfection cases.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

vickie I always knew you could get there when I met you on MDA........but what concerned me the most was you.......and they way you think. There is a very special part of BG 12 that I wrote 6 months ago and I channeled you. I think when you read it.......you might just get it. you are your biggest speed bump and you must stop that

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

5:30 On the weekends it's usually closer to 6:30. I try to eat BAB w/in 30 min. Usually it's closer to 45 on weekdays what w/rousing kids etc

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Ok... over email, my PCP asked me to try to up the cycloset to 3x .8mg/ day. Took some today b/c DD is home sick... ugh I feel horrible... I really don't like this... but I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

waiting on lab work - that hasn't come in yet.

13. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

Gretchen are you taking the cycloset with food and in particular some level of carb? from what I've read the sides are mitigated if you take it with a minimal amount of carb which can be a vegetable.

14. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Hi everyone. I dropped out for a while, I'll explain why later. To Gretchen: I had worked up to 5X .8mg cycloset per day and had gotten to the point where the nausea was pretty tolerable. Not gone, but I could function. Then I read a comment from Jack that you should "keep a glass of water by the bedside and take your cycloset when you open your eyes". So of course, I tried that. Long story short...not a good idea...nausea got much more intense. So, I am still doing that (makes sense, if you are doing this to adjust circadian timing, taking the meds when you wake seems reasonable), but I have cut back to 4X .8 mg tablets. It helps to make eating the first priority of the day, within 15 minutes if possible. Two reasons, food increases absorption of the medication (from the prescribing pamphlet). Second, it's really important to get some food into your tummy before the nausea hits, because then I can't eat a thing!

I have backed off on testing my blood glucose as often. I was getting a little depressed seeing the numbers trending upwards. Anyway, it is what it is, whether I test or not. I have committed to doing this for at least 6 months to see what the longer term effects are.

More "official" testing around 10/10. My doc is fine with repeating all the tests every 3 months, but not more often.

15. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I agree...eating veggies with breakfast is very helpful for keeping food down, I'm not sure why but it seems to work. This morning I had 6 oz of fresh spanish mackeral (35 g protein) and 1.5 cups of cooked broccoli, 1/2 cup of cooked green beans, leftovers from dinner last night. The veggies seem to make my stomach feel more settled. Then I drink herb tea (celestial seasonings peach tea) the rest of the morning. That helps too.

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Thanks Ladies

I take 1st thing when I get up and eat w/in 30 mins. The nausea doesn't set in for me until about 1-2hrs after I've eaten. Since I've got other things I'm working on besides this I've been working on getting into deep ketosis... veggies right now (except seaweed and sauerkraut) are not appealing.

I'm still nauseous from this am's pill. going to try 3x.8mg again - tomorrow (I'm driving into work - so I shouldn't have any after effects from riding the bus) on Friday I'm going to back down to 2x.8mg and see how things go.

PCP is hesitant to add the Metformin... but w/the PCOS I think I need it - the cycloset isn't going to cut it by itself. Just need to convince her... I really think I'm at my max does which is 2x.8mg. but I guess we'll see

17. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

apparently taking it sublingually or bucally will offset the side effects. perhaps take the 3rd pill this way

18. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Thanks... I'll consider this...

so far I seem to do ok as long as I eat seafood.... if I eat something else... nausea until mid day.

I'm also wondering if its possible I was experiencing a PTSD event the day I got violently ill, since it was 9/11, given I was part of the National response team.... things to think about...

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

So I've worked my way up to 4x.8mg of the cycloset - with no real change in FBG over close to 3mths... PCP finally is on board w/the Metformin - so I'm starting w/500mg 1x/day... I'll monitor am FBG and see what happens...

my question to those of you who are only taking a lower dose - when do you take it... I think eventually I'll move up to 1000mg... but it may be a while...

20. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I take 500mg with breakfast and 500 mg with dinner.