1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cycloset and FBG update, oh my!

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by kathylu, Aug 8, 2012.

1. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Well, OSA occurs in normal weight folks too. I know 3 people that have moderate to severe apnea and they are all skinny. CPAP certainly helps, but sometimes I wonder how much. I woke up the other night, hyperventilating and heart racing and my CPAP mask was on and working properly. I still have the high FBG problem too...that's why I started cycloset and metformin. My blood am cortisol measured mid range last time, I'm curious to see how it has changed. Next set of labs is 9/12.

2. Yes, I know and I'm one of those folks (well, not skinny, but not super overweight). I hope so much that I can reset the circadian problem with the Leptin Rx....along with the DHEA and HC I take as well, ugh.

thanks again....

3. Hope you don't mind my asking this (and sorry if I Should have read this elsewhere, I'm a newbie making my way through as much as possible)....will the LRx help with the Circadian Cycle issue, also following what you said in CT7 (blog)?

4. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I got it! I got cycloset!! You'd think I'm a kid in a candy store lol!! I'll fill the script tomorrow, and start it the next day.

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Yeah!!! Welcome to the fix my circadian rhythm show

6. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Oh, that is so great! I felt like that when I got Cytomel!! Good luck!

7. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I got more cytomel too. I'm currently on 10mcg/day, plus T4 meds. I'm wondering if I should wait on the cycloset until my thyroid labs improve a little bit. I can't raise the cytomel though, until I have decent cortisol output, which brings me back to cycloset.

Was nausea your main issues getting started? How long did it last? All day, or just heavy in the morning? Did it improve with time? I'm wondering if I'm going to be self-inducing morning sickness without the pregnancy!

8. kathylu

kathylu Gold

For me that was the major issue at first. The nausea would peak about 2 hours after taking it and last 4 hours or so. After a few days my sleep went to hell as well. The nausea is mostly gone, but I still haven't gotten my sleep back on track. Working on it and waiting. I am encouraged that my FBG is dropping. I'll know more when I get my next cortisol test in 2 weeks.

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Ok...so I just returned from my PCP... she's holding off on the metformin...and is upping my dose cycloset first. She's had several patients have some sever adverse reactions on metformin - so she wants to see how the cycloset works as we continue to increase the dosage

doing my next set of labs next week, when they get in we'll discuss what we think I need to do hormonally before sending off my next update to dzugan...

10. Hi Shijin13,

would you mind sharing your labs when you get them? I would love to see what you all get done! I am a newbie at this....and good luck! I am SO thankful for having found this forum....whew.

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

here's my last set of labs from May... http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?2009-New-LABS-from-5-25-2012

we're doing some different labs this fall....looking at different things, based off my consults w/Jack as well as using them to update the Dzugan folks.

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Shijin, do you know what were the severe adverse reactions on Metformin? I just ordered a bunch so would like to know.

13. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Curious as well. I'm on day 3 of cycloset. So far, so good. Not feeling anything different really. Maybe slightly better, but I also upped my T3 a touch, and maybe I'm converting just a little more T4 to T3, maybe...

14. kathylu

kathylu Gold

The most common adverse reactions to metformin are nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Severe side effects (very unusual) are hives, difficulty breathing, chest tightness, irregular heartbeat.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I think for me my PCP is worried about the difficulty breathing & chest tightness especially this weed allergy season has been a killer on me. So well up the cycloset Kathy how did you titrate up the cycloset?

16. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thank you, kathylu and Shijin!

17. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Today was my 4th morning taking cycloset. For many months I have been dealing with elevated heartrates and reduced blood pressure, especially in the mornings (every morning - it would drive me to CT right after breakfast for symptom relief). Today and yesterday I didn't have it... Is it really possibly the cycloset at work? Or are my thyroid levels starting to improve (I don't have any function from my gland), or both? I have been working to resolve this really bad symptom for ages, and have had "very good" thyroid labs throughout the summer. I am delightfully intrigued...

18. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Next update: Well....I'd like to be more optimistic, but I'm having a hard time. I do think I have adjusted to the cycloset, only a few minutes of upset tummy. I'm up to 5 pills per day (4 mg, manufacturer recommends increasing to 6 pills or level tolerated) and I think I'll stay here until my next PCP appointment. The problems are that my sleep is still trashed, and quite variable. One night last week I slept 7.5 hours but all other nights have been between 4.5 and 6 hours. I fall asleep, wake up 4.5 hours later and sometimes can get back to sleep, sometimes not. What's more disappointing than the sleep problem is that my FBG seems to be trending upward again. For the first few weeks it was going down, with my lowest reading being 92, down from the previous average of 120. However my readings for the past 7 days have been 105, 107, 111, 114, 115, 116 and 119 this morning! I don't understand why. Perhaps it's normal to see a biphasic response and FBG will head downward again at some point. Or perhaps my middle of the night and morning cortisol are high, which might increase my FBG (dawn phenomenon). That would certainly explain my early morning awakenings. Sleep deprivation is stressful and increases cortisol levels, which can raise FBG. Again, I'll know more next week after the new labs.

The only thing I have changed about my diet is that I am eating a few more carbs, maybe 50-60 per day instead of my usual 30. This was a concession to the unrelenting nausea of the last few weeks, where a small serving of rice or sweet potato seemed to settle my stomach. I'm going back to 30 g starting today, since I am feeling better.

Another issue is that I am feeling rather depressed. I'm sure that's connected to the sleep deprivation. Kinda feeling at a loss though...I don't know what to do about this. Any suggestions? Maybe sam-e would help. I'm sure my serotonin is low...I have a history of this. I respond beautifully to 5-HTP (depression disappears in a few days), which Dr. K has said is not appropriate for me because it increases insulin resistance in the brain. I certainly see that that would happen, because 5 HTP raises intracellular serotonin and that would stimulate insulin release from beta cells (see http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1000229), not what you want if you are trying to keep insulin levels low.

I have an appointment with a new sleep doc next week, maybe that can help me get this ironed out. I also want to see where I'm at with the OSA issue. This has been a real blind spot for me. When I was diagnosed 5 years ago, I didn't want to believe it but got a little "tough love" from my pulmonologist. She literally yelled at me "You are a mother now and that means you are NOT allowed to die! Use the damn CPAP so you can be around to raise your child!" Well, it worked. I do use my CPAP religiously and that gave me a false sense of security, as in "Oh, I've got the OSA thing handled. No need to think about it anymore". Well, it seems like that is not true. Even though I have reduced the number of apneas and hypopneas I experience, it seems that I am still headed for T2D, Alzheimer's and heart disease. I hope that Dr. K's work will help me deal with these issues.

The other thing I have been doing and I don't have a clue whether this is correct or not, is that I eat my HAB and take the morning meds at 6:30 am, even if I wake up at 4 am. That just instinctively feels right to me since I am trying to adjust to a sleep cycle where I wake up at dawn and get sleepy by 9 or 10 pm. It just seems like I am further screwing with my circadian cycle if I eat in the middle of the night. Any opinions on this?

19. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Gretchen, I'm just following the dosing information in the patient pamphlet that comes with the meds. If you don't have one, I'm sure you can find it online. Basically, you add one pill at the beginning of each week until you reach 6 pills per day (4.8 mg) or to a level that is tolerable for you (less than 6 pills). Hope that helps.

20. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Just wondering why I wrote a long post today and the thread doesn't appear in "new posts"? Funny.