1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cycloset and FBG update, oh my!

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by kathylu, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Know what you mean :( I kinda want the full weaponry approach but the PFO threw a real wrench in there. Still don't know what to do about that. Like if I do HBOT before fixing the PFO to see if I get better without fixing it - will I end up throwing my money away for HBOT (EXPENSIVE!!) b/c then the chronic attack on my brain with low O2 and toxins will continue and just make it all bad again? One of those things that might need fixing first before anything else really.

2. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I fixed this before the natural way. My mountain cabin worked out my circadian cycles for me. The very first night pretty much. I hadn't slept that well in ages.

I hate this :( I'm stuck here in this place I hate and I know how bad it is for me and no matter what I do I just get sicker every time I blink. Sometimes I just want to go pack up a tent and wave it all bye-bye. Maybe I should. Put a fish out of water and no matter the amount of doctoring you do, eventually, it will die. There is something very basically wrong here.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

My heart goes out to you Soul - but I think you know the answer - it is all right there in your post. Not easy to do but I think you have to listen to your inner self. Can you go up to the mountains and do some fishing for a couple of weeks and find some inner peace? I am always so impressed with Inger because she seems to know instinctively what is best for her and then she just does it and doesn't care what anybody else thinks. I think you both are so intuitive - I am very impressed. At that age - I don't think I knew what end was up! I would like to send you a big hug.

4. Why are you stuck here? What is stuck? There are some lovely mountain areas that actually have people around in them not too far from Boulder. Certainly within an hours drive. I guarantee the rents will be cheaper! You could be close enough to friends to have some people-connections, and perhaps the people in whatever town you land in will be more soul-approved.

I envision some ex-alpha-male financial whiz who got beat up and beat down during the last downturn, so he soul searched and moved to the mountains to live a real life. . .kinda like you :D

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

My health is stuck :( And there's no cheaper rent anywhere than where I live right now. B/c I don't pay rent. I'm staying with a friend. I don't have family in the U.S. I don't just get to go live with my 'rents for a little while while things aren't so great.... I gotta figure things out on my own b/c I'm on my own. I'm not complaining. Looked at the park area around the Boulder library lately? There's a whole lot of peeps who live there. I don't wanna join. So I suck it up. But yeah. I almost blew it yesterday. Not easy. Sometimes my mouth has a will of its own it appears no matter how hard I try to shut up about some things.

I guess a tent in the mountains it will have to be. Wouldn't be bad at all if I wasn't so afraid of lions and bears.

6. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Soul...maybe you SHOULD go to the mountains for a little while. In a tent. I have no clue about bears etc...b/c I've never been out west (even in Canada). The tent would be much cheaper.

You said that the mountain cabin helped a lot? What did it do? What sorts of health benefits did you see? Was this pointed out in labs, regular cycle...just the way you felt?

I have no idea what the situation in Germany is...but perhaps you need a visit back home? Are you home sick? Sometimes that happens even though you're not aware of it---like everything can be fine in your new home...and yet you still feel...off. (Again, I don't know your personal situation in Germany though).

I know for me that I've always wanted to visit Germany and was VERY close to visiting in 1997, but life had different plans. There seems to be a heavy emphasis on nature and health, even in the work force there. Again, I don't have experience and this is just my perception of it.

I really hope you feel better soon!!

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I tend to sleep well in Germany but it's hard to say b/c I take so much melatonin there. Without it I'd be up all night and asleep all day. Maybe that's a clue here to what I need.... melatonin.

My cabin pretty much did a lot of the things we all are working so hard to get to just by living there. I went to bed early, rose with the sun most days, my cycle was 28 days perfectly aligned with the moon cycles, no PMS at all, no cramps, I dropped the coffee I was drinking all day without trying to (severely eating disordered at the time), I was still eating a lot of crap but it improved over time and I dropped the crap and started eating paleo, .... lots of things. I got stronger and healthier. Without ever trying to. It just happened. I thought it was the fish oil that helped my cramps. Lol. Now I think it was healthy light cycles, mineralized well water, and the friggin' cold showers I had to take every morning.... not knowing what I was doing for myself. Falling asleep with nature sounds. And getting the **** scared out of me a few times :p

8. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Next update: I don't have a lot of good news, or bad news either. I'm up to 4 cycloset pills (3.2 mg) per day since last Wednesday and 500 mg metformin twice daily. I still have about 4-6 hours of mild nausea after taking cycloset, but it's pretty tolerable now. I can only eat fresh seafood though, everything else just turns my stomach. Unfortunately, my FBG is not dropping any further (so far). Readings for the last week have stabilized at 105-110. Certainly better than when I started (120), but not what I was hoping for. Since Jack said my reactions are "cycloset battling the OSA", I'm starting to wonder if the OSA is going to win...I'm willing to give it more time, though.

Sleep is still terrible, I have upped my night time melatonin from 3 mg to 5 mg and I still only sleep 6 hours max. My blood pressure seems to be the same since before I started the meds, about 122/74, no orthostatic hypotension either. I have also upped my DHEA to 150 mg per day to help with sleep and I am a little nervous about going any higher without blood tests. I'll see my GP in 2 weeks and will have blood tests repeated then. I've gained about 5 lbs even though I am eating less due to the nausea. Honestly, I feel so beaten down due to lack of sleep that it's all I can do to stick to the protocol. I hope this gets better soon.

I think the sleep issue is huge...that can cause insulin resistance too. Adjusting to this medication has not been easy, and I hope it's worth it. However, I'm out of other ideas to help myself.

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Why did you go up in cycloset dose? Going to add metformin next week to work on the FBG and mitochondria... one thing I've noticed is that w/o the max dose of the K2 (45mg) my FBG is much higher than its been when I take that and the cycloset together. working really hard right now to eat w/in 30 of getting up... had to adjust the am work routine to make that work...

10. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Hi Gretchen,

I'm just following the suggested dosing schedule from the manufacturer. They say to start with one pill and add one pill each week until you are taking six pills per day, if you can tolerate it. My GP said to follow the suggested schedule since this is the first time she has prescribed cycloset, so I'm the guinea pig. The metformin is basically the minimum dose. I figured we wouldn't play around with that until I'm completely adjusted to the cycloset. That could be why I have continuing nausea...I'm increasing the dose each week.

I also have to get back to the sleep doc. I need a new sleep study, I haven't had one done in 3.5 years. I keep thinking if I am still having apneas and hypopneas during sleep that the pressure for my CPAP may need to be increased and that may help the FBG issue as well.

I hear you about the 30 minutes...it feels like everything is messed up with my appetite and sleep, so it's not easy following the leptin rx rules!

11. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Question about the metformin you're going to add: How did you and your doctor settle on a dose? Also, why did you start with the cycloset only (and for how long), and what has made you decide to add in the metformin on top of it? I am going to the (next) doctor on Thursday, and I want to have a game plan going in. So far, I think I need to start with cycloset (for 2-4 weeks, I think), to upregulate my am cortisol (serum running 10ish, range up to 22). Then, hopefully I will be able to handle improved amounts of oral T3 (Hashimoto's here, no working gland left), so I will start adding it in (right now I take 110 T4, plus 10 cytomel). The improved am cortisol will (hopefully) inprove my gherlin (can't remember the spelling!) response, and the hormone cascade that follows. I think I'll be able to get my doctor on board so far. However, the metformin... I'm not sure how this fits into the picture (I'm not diabetic, although I sure do get blood sugar spikes if I touch a serving of carbs). I know Jack says metformin "blocks the leakiness @ cytochrome 1", which lowers inflammation. But I don't have a solid handle on this knowledge yet. Cytochrome 1 leakiness in the mitochondira produces inflammation, is what I'm gathering... so would I need to test my HS-CRP to decide if I'm a good candidate for it's use in this way? Sorry so many questions! You ladies are really helping me solidify this in my brain. I am hopeful that I may be able to get scripts for these meds this week if I can solidely explain it all!

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

13. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Great points above. I take a "super k2 complex" daily. I believe it's 3 mg total though. Then lots of lactobacilli in my fermented veggies and probiotic capsules. The gut buggies manufacture most of the k2 in our diets. Do I need even more?

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I always think you get more out of your money if you buy the higher dosages and then split the capsules or in the Thorne brand, just take a few drops if that's all you need. I take the full 45mg though for my bones. And now for my blood sugar but I didn't know that before :)

15. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I take 5 mg a day. Might more help me not tank so bad when my bs goes awry?

16. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Question about cycloset. I go see my doctor on Friday so I am just wanting to get things straight as I can. If I have been waking up early the nights I do get sleep--like 5:00. Would that mean that cycloset might not be good as it raises the am cortisol curve. My last saliva test am was 9 at the top was 9.5?

Other wise cycloset seems like it would be good based on my gut, hormones and dopamine.

What would be the difference with starting metformin?

17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Cycloset works on dopamine & circadian cycles. Metaformin works on insulin & at the mitochondrial level.

18. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

thanks. Now lets hope my doctor understands this.

19. Wow, I never knew OSA causes low am cortisol. What if you are "treating" it with CPAP?? And HC? I guess I have to wait for my ASI results, ugh. I have had apnea for 9 years (and I'm not overweight....though I could be skinnier of course, LOL) and no sleep doc ever said this. Ugh.......

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

CPAP only opens the airway......it does very little to the circadian cycle problem