1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cycloset and FBG update, oh my!

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by kathylu, Aug 8, 2012.

1. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I use an Ascencia Breeze 2 (Bayer corporation). It seems very accurate, but it is a bit large. I've seen much smaller ones that would be easier to keep with you if you are doing multiple daily measurements. I'd google some reviews before purchasing. Check for sales too. You can usually get the monitor free (or almost). Testing supplies is where they get you.

2. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Good advice, I'll check! Thank you!

3. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I have the FreeStyle Lite for $9.00. http://www.amazon.com/FREESTYLE-FREEDOM-LITE-METER-EACH/dp/B001V9X470/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1350069940&sr=8-5&keywords=freestyle+lite+monitor

You can get 100 strips for $54.00. The strips are the major cost.

http://www.amazon.com/FreeStyle-Lite-Test-Strips-boxes/dp/B00433JCEK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350069868&sr=8-3&keywords=freestyle+lite+strips

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

update - pushing the FAT at breakfast had greatly diminished the nausea... so I'm staying at 4x.8mg for another week - then may push it up to 5x.8mg. we'll see.

this am I had a hamburger, w/BPC, and a coconut milk, HWC and BPC Whey shake. I'm not sure I want to do the shake daily - but right now... that's the easiest way for me to push the fat.

5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

During Saturday's "not so optimal chat 2" I complained (again!) about my trouble with cycloset and nausea. Gretchen suggested that I try to eat more fat at breakfast and Dr. K seconded that. It's funny, but that hadn't occurred to me, I was actually reducing the fat in my diet because of the nausea (it just didn't appeal to me). Anyway, I did an about-face and started to eat a seafood meal drenched in paleo mayo (olive oil) and sure enough, it helped! I guess sometimes we have to get out of our own way.

Gretchen, I agree with you. If the high fat breakfast does the trick, I'll try going back up to 5 x .8mg tablets

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

WANT OPTIMAL OLIVE OIL MAYO recipe....

yeah... the fat in the am does the trick... I've decided that breakfast will be my SATURATED FAT meal... mainly b/c I've been seriously pushing the seafood for L-D.

7. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Gretchen, we made an amazing optimal mayo. It was half olive oil, half duck fat, lots of garlic. I'm not sure duck fat goes with seafood, but it works with meat for sure!

8. diane

diane Gold

9. kathylu

kathylu Gold

This recipe is very close to what I make. I usually zest my lemon and add that to the mayo for "lemonnaise", great with seafood. Room temp is critical and it's true...if you have a failure (liquidy result), just use it for sauce or salad dressing. Still delicious.

10. Jude

Jude Gold

Must be the brain fog....What's BPC, and HWC please? Am wondering how your B Glucose is after the whey in the am? The metformin helping to keep in control?

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

HWC heavy whipping cream

BPC bulletproof coffee (coffee + ghee made from Kerry gold and coconut oil or MCT oil)

Whey doesn't cause a bg spike for me I've tested it multiple times at different points in the day.

Right now I'm taking metformin at night

12. Lauren - that was it, those three ingredients? That sounds great. How much of it do you make ahead? I guess all the ingredients last in the fridge...

13. Jude

Jude Gold

Thanks....

14. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Sorry, no, it had a bunch of egg yolks in it too. Here's the recipe I used (I got inspired about the duck fat after Dr Kruse was telling me about it... I now use it a bunch (my kids love sweet potatoes with it)). I don't eat the mayo, cause I do AI, but my family loved it. If you make it, put it at room temp before serving... the duck fat will stop it from being easily spreadable when cold.

3/4 c olive oil

3/4 c rendered duck fat

2 egg yolks

1 T dijon mustard

2 pressed garlic cloves

lemon juice (to taste)

salt to taste

pepper to taste

15. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Awesome ladies.... What a gold mine here!!

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

a point to make here on Cycloset for the ladies: Anti aging docs push optimal Testosterone, Vitamin D, PG/E2 and IGF1 to improve lean muscle mass and decrease body fat. The dopamine receptor (D2R) agonist bromocriptine (cycloset) also decreases body fat in animal and human models and increases lean muscle mass, improves glucose intolerance and insulin resistance, and reduces triglycerides and free fatty acids in the HPA. One of the cardinal features of environmental mismatches and altered epigenetic switches is a low dopamine level in the HPA. This results in an abnormal diurnal pattern of AM and PM cortisol and melatonin. It is often associated with a low vitamin D too. Low dopamine levels are seen in lower light levels and cause autumnal weight gain by the changes seen in the conversion of Vit D1 to D2 and to D3. Many people think dopamine is just tied to the reward of food when it is directly responsible for altered light cycles on the skin and at the eye in the SCN. This is how proper circadian signaling keeps our cells growth pattern normalized. This is also why obesity is considered the first step to cancer......step two is T2D, and the final step is cancer generation itself. They are symptoms of declining circadian signaling of dopamine in the brain. The worse your dopamine level the more likely it is for you to develop and epithelial cancer. Activation of dopamine D2 receptors simultaneously ameliorates various metabolic features of obese women as well. Here is where the PCOS and T2D link enter. Kok P et al. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006 November; 291(5):E1038-43. Why do women have a bigger issue with all this than men? Because of the leptin-dopamine link. Leptin is sexually dimorphic and higher in women naturally. It has been previously shown in several papers that there is a negative correlation between D2R receptor and body weight in obese individuals and in rodents . . . . This has made me conclude that; these observations are all consistent with the existence of unique leptin-Dopamine interactions at the hypothalamus level and the hypothesis that there is hyposensitivity of the Dopamine system in obesity, PCOS,T2D, and in cancer. All of these conditions show low dopamine, upside down PG/e2 ratios, low Vitamin D levels, and very alter diurnal cortisol and melatonin levels. The ideal way to modify this in women is to treat the HPA deficit while teach them how to re establish their circadian signaling at the brain level to improve their metabolism.

That is a focus of my blog for ladies; ie teaching them why they are different than men in regards to weight and circadian biology. For those who believe the reward theory of food (insert a paleo PhD blogger) let me give you a new reality and a 30,000 ft view of what he got lost in because of a myopic perspective. Reward is directly tied to light levels in humans and not food, because of what I wrote in BG 11. 48% of our metabolic pathways are tied to light sensation. Food does not drive reward.
    Light does because the food that comes from light is controlled by sunlight. I know that sounds sounds counterintuitive but it is precisely how the brain is wired in humans. The body collects that data from the eye and skin for the brain and the brain senses and correlates that data to set the the metabolic rate and growth cycle by going up or down with dopamine levels at the HPA. Dopamine interacts with leptin directly as mentioned above and this is why women and men are different at a central Nervous system level. This is why sleep, metabolism and the cell cycle are all linked to the dopamine pathways tied to light and not just food. Food reward is a good idea not looked into deep enough by those who buy it 100%.

17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I posted a comment on the Blog w/regards to this. When its posted... I'll copy/paste it here...

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I just answered you too.

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

The following is what I posted in the comments of BG15:

Jack.

I am the walking - talking billboard of the following: "This implies women are more sensitive to altered circadian signaling that men are because of the leptin dopamine link. It has been previously shown in several papers that there is a negative correlation between D2R receptor and body weight in obese individuals and in rodents . . . . This has made me conclude that; these observations are all consistent with the existence of unique leptin-Dopamine interactions at the hypothalamus level and the hypothesis that there is hyposensitivity of the Dopamine system in obesity, PCOS,T2D, and in cancer. All of these conditions show low dopamine, upside down PG/E2 ratios, low Vitamin D levels, and very alter diurnal cortisol and melatonin levels."

I've recently verified that any additional light sources, especially at the end and beginning of my cycle, dramatically impact my sleep. When I have messed up sleep I end up with higher fasting BG in the morning. Now that I've figured out the nausea associated w/cycloset in the am, I'm getting ready to bump up the dosing, and I'm working on "re-wiring" the Leptin- Dopamine pathways to support the Cortisol-Melatonin-DHEA pathways. I still have a ways to go, as I've still got to fix the Pg:E2 ratio, along w/ how my Vitamin D drops w/o supplementation, but I'll get there.

I think what people forget, in this "I want it now" society we live in, is that we're complex and it can take time to right the ship, so to speak. the excess weight isn't going to disappear over night, when you're not leveraging everything. I can say that from my n=1.

I said the following in BG11, and its still valid here:

"Light is the key that starts/stops the engine. (circadian cycles)

Food & hormones are the fuel

CT is the accelerator

The Brain is the navigator

Optimal requires all systems working in concert, if one is off the entire system doesn't work properly or efficiently

So for those of us who've been struggling & seeing minimal if any success w/out paying attention to light should begin to see changes when we pay attn to it. However we must remember we have to turn back our epigenetics switches that have been on for Xyears. We also have to contend with the reversal of disease and illness as a result of our own personal mismatches

This isn't going to happen over night. I've been working on my health in one way shape or form since 1999 only now am I getting some where Each success peels back another layer. Each layer brings me that much closer to cracking the code w/in me.

While we'd all love to have the BodyRock.tv bodies in 30 days we're broken for most of us that isn't going to happen over night. Once we get our stuff straightened out & flying right the possibilities are endless. While its not fun hearing it's going to take time it's the truth. That's because we're each working on our own personal masterpiece. And those things just don't happen over night. They take time effort an love and many of us have to balance working on the masterpiece with the rest of our lives b/c they are integral

Remember what your masterpiece looks like today is not the final product. Think about the following question and how it relates to your journey: How long did Michael Angelo work on David to get it to its final phase???"

20. Jude

Jude Gold

Hey you two--Gretchen and Jack, Master and very accomplished student,

Wow, how beautifully timed were those posts!!!!

And, what a great consolation you, Gretchen, are for both the doc, and us all, with your obvious assimilation and understanding of what has been taught by Dr K..........................

Love your flow chart

"Light is the key that starts/stops the engine. (circadian cycles)

Food & hormones are the fuel

CT is the accelerator

The Brain is the navigator

Optimal requires all systems working in concert, if one is off the entire system doesn't work properly or efficiently

Sooooo reassuring... Thankyou both.