1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

curious about leptin/cortisol effects

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by gmel1084, Mar 16, 2012.

1. gmel1084

gmel1084 New Member

Hello everyone,

Im relatively new to the subject of hormone optimization but am eager to learn.

I have have been athletic my whole life, but despite being very active (I'm on my feet all day work, I have been training intensely in martial arts for years, and also do CrossFit up to 3x/ week), I just can't get to the point with my body where I'm very lean. Coming across the topic of hormone optimization on Mike Mahler's website, I began to wonder if it is Leptin/ Cortisol related. Upon more research, it definitely seems to be the case. With my activity level, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm experiencing adrenal fatigue, HIGH CORTISOL, and LR, IR.

My diet for the most part is good, but I definitely cheat a lot. The last body fat test I got said I was around 13%, but I store most of it in my lower stomach and love handles. For a very active person for years this is frustrating.

I'm 27 years old, 5'7, and 155lbs. Obviously not a bad thing but I'm intrigued by hormone optimization and its role in the fitness industry.

After coming across Dr. Kruse's Leptin RX info I knew I was on the right track.

I try to space out my meals as much as I can, but with the amount of workout volume I do, its hard when you want to optimize your post workout recovery with shakes, and make sure that you're getting enough calories.

Any help is appreciated!

Greg

2. Owl

Owl New Member

Adrenal fatigue is actually what happens when you've had high cortisol for a long time, and then the adrenals start producing less and less of it. Then your levels can fluctuate during the day from too low to too high. Over time, cortisol levels drift downward more and more, until they are all too low.

I have high cortisol, although it's much better now since I've been working on reducing it. My symptoms were being a night owl, not feeling tired at night, staying up till 1am. I didn't sleep well. Also waking up at 3 or 4 am or so. When I got up in the morning, I was not rested. I needed caffeine to get through the day, because my sleep was so bad.

I tested my cortisol with an adrenal saliva test. My night time and morning cortisol was through the roof, no wonder I wasn't sleeping well.

Dr. K would tell you to cut out the Crossfit. He thinks chronic cardio and/or very intense workouts like that will shorten your telomeres and therefore your life. He'd also tell you the shakes after workouts are not necessary.

I started on the leptin reset last summer, and am eating post leptin now. I used to snack all day, because I was hungry all day. With the leptin reset, you have to limit yourself to 3 meals a day, no snacking. Eventually, you get to 2 meals a day, because you're just not that hungry. And it really works. I am not hungry in between meals anymore. I feel much better about that, not having to always carry snacks with me to keep from getting ravenous.

According to Dr. K, you can spot reduce fat by using cold packs on those areas. There's a medical device called Zeltiq, which operates on that principle. Research showed that frostbite victims had fat cells permanently destroyed, and Zeltiq was designed around that. With the cold packs, you're not trying for frostbite, just red/pink skin. It takes longer than Zeltiq, but it works on the same principle. It sounds ideal for you. Check out the Cold Thermagenesis (CT) threads.

3. gmel1084

gmel1084 New Member

Thank you for the response.

I'm definitely going to look into CT. Im looking forward to it.

what adrenal saliva test did you use?

I just came across this site yesterday and there's so much info to go through. Whats the best to start with in regards to Dr. K's Leptin, CT, Cortisol thoughts, etc?

4. Owl

Owl New Member

Here's the leptin rx, the original instructions: http://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/

And read the leptin FAQs: http://jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/

For cortisol: http://jackkruse.com/primal-cortisol-response/

He's done 6 or 7 blogs on CT, but here's the first, where he tells how to do it: http://jackkruse.com/the-evolution-of-the-leptin-rx/

You really do need to read the rest too, though.

Make sure you read the comments after each one, sometimes there's even better info there.

I got my adrenal saliva test here, they have the best price: http://www.canaryclub.org/index.php?Itemid=167

They send the kit to you, and you send it back, they email the results.

5. gmel1084

gmel1084 New Member

Thanks a lot!

I'm looking forward to delving into all of this info.

There's so much information out there and this is a great site.

I'm going to start with cutting out the post workout shakes and just getting in a clean paleo meal within a couple hours post workout.

And I'm also going to spread my meals out to 3x per day with protein and fat in the morning and see how it goes.

My workouts are mainly in the morning so I have to time it properly.

6. Owl

Owl New Member

You're welcome, tell me how you it goes for you. It was tough for me with no snacking for the first week or so. I was eating 3 huge meals a day, and was still hungry in between. Breakfast was 5 eggs and 1/2lb of ground beef! (and I'm female, 5'7", and at that time 147lb) But then it got much easier, and I wasn't hungry at all in between.

At your weight and height, you may not be leptin resistant. I know I was, because I had just lost 75lb with hcg, and was having trouble keeping it off, had gained back 15lb. (I then lost 13 of those pounds on the reset.) The leptin reset is designed to confuse your hypothalamus so it reroutes your leptin signalling to an older way of accounting for calories we all used in utero and up to age 1 -2. If you're leptin sensitive, this will be a waste of time, because your hypothalamus is working fine. So you may want to follow the eating plan of the post leptin rx, for people who are leptin sensitive: http://jackkruse.com/so-you-completed-the-leptin-rx-what-is-next/

7. gmel1084

gmel1084 New Member

thats the thing.... I'm not sure... I probably have to get a reverse t3 blood test to see if its elevated. I'm very active and have been for a long time. Most of the fat I have is in my stomach and love handles... just getting on track with paleo should do it for me I think... In addition to CT and controlling cortisol and Inflammation.

8. David

David Silver

Dr. Kruse wrote (11/13/2011) "I also encourage yoga and meditation for endogenous control of cortisol."

9. gmel1084

gmel1084 New Member

any blogs about adrenal fatigue?