1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT with aquarium chiller

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by omegajosh, Apr 15, 2016.

1. omegajosh

omegajosh www.mitolab.com

I have been looking around at the commercial CT baths. They are extortionately priced. Trying to find a cheaper alternative I stumbled across aquarium water chillers. At a 10th of the price does anyone think they might be a decent alternative rigged up to a bath?

2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I use a chiller that keeps my CT tank at a steady 55 degrees. Was lucky enough to find a good one on Craigslist and only paid $150 for it.

There are a couple of others on the forum that have used them too.

3. omegajosh

Great. Can you send me a link for the one you use?
    Do you leave it chilled 24/7? I was thinking about just switching it on for an hour before CT to chill down to save electricity/environment.

4. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I think it is an Aqua Logic Delta Star. Paperwork is at home, so not positive. We have it set on a timer. It comes on about 2 hours before I get home from work. It only runs 3-4 hours per day. I always turn it off before getting in - don't want any extra nnemf field around me.

My stock tank is mounted in a cabinet that my husband built for it. There are pictures somewhere in my journal (On the Pathways to Methylation, post #650). I keep a foam cover on it when not in use to keep it cool and to also keep out dust, pet fur, etc... Can't stand when the bottom or sides start to feel "slimy". I do put Epsom salts in when we fill it, in the hope it stays clean longer.

Usually drain/replace the water about once per month. In fact, it will be refilled this weekend. We drained it before going on vacation recently.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Martin likes this.
  5. omegajosh

6 degree F per hour sounds fine. I am only looking to cool my tap water by a further 10-15 degrees.

6. travolttt

travolttt New Member

hey, I'm just starting using a chiller, and can't find the right one. Any suggestions? Also, I'm new at this and wanna help other newbies like me. I have been looking for the right decorations for my aquarium for a veery long time and came across this site that helped me a lot. It has all the information about live rocks beginning with what are they and ending with helping you choose the right ones for you! This site is a true salvation!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:43 AM