1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT-Thyoid connection

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by AKMan, Mar 16, 2012.

1. agatha

agatha New Member

Yes, please keep us posted. I'm on levothyroxine and interested to see what happens to my thyroid function with leptin reset and CT.

2. PaleoSue

PaleoSue New Member

I'm sure you are all veeery familiar with this, but for anyone who isn't T3 medication alone may not always be the best solution. I have talked to so many people on Synthroid who still have hypo symptoms.

I tried to get a doc to prescribe dessicated thyroid, and couldn't find one in my area. Luckily for me, I don't have Hashi's and I was able to resolve my thyroid issue with an adrenal supplement alone. It's possible that my thyroid malfunction may have been related purely to poor diet; this was before I went on the RX.

3. I'm am T3 only so my result should be quick. I just stopped completely today.

4. Kathy

Kathy New Member

From the http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?564 thread:

I have high hopes for CT as I have un-medicated hashi's (+adrenal issues, metal toxicity & menopausal hormones) but struggle to understand a lot of the details in the blogs. Brain fog doesn't help. Hoping someone can explain:

What does TRH stands for?

Why don't questions about thyroid belong in the CT FAQ?

Are thyroid lab values for a thyroid compromised person (hashi's/surgery) who is cold adapted unknown because we don't have enough data yet or because they don't matter?

Thanks for any clarification.

5. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I don't get it either. I don't understand Jack's claim that TRH (thyrotropin releasing hormone) can take the place of T3 and T4. TRH stimulates the production of TSH which stimulates the thyroid to produce T4, which is converted to T3. The T3 is what regulates metabolism--or so I have always believed.

Here is a good read on the thyroid: http://www.thyroidmanager.org/chapter/physiology-of-the-hypothalmic-pituitary-thyroidal-system/#toc-normal-physiology:

From it: "The activity of the thyroid gland is predominantly regulated by the concentration of the pituitary glycoprotein hormone, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). In the absence of pituitary or of thyrotroph function hypothyroidism ensues. Thus, regulation of thyroid function in normal individuals is to a large extent determined by the factors which regulate the synthesis and secretion of TSH. Those factors are reviewed in this chapter and consist principally of thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH) and the feedback effects of circulating thyroid hormones at the hypothalamic and pituitary levels. The consequence of the dynamic interplay of these two dominant influences on TSH secretion, the positive effect of TRH on the one hand and the negative effects of thyroid hormones on the other, result in a remarkably stable concentration of TSH in the circulation and consequently little alteration in the level of circulating thyroid hormones from day to day and year to year. This regulation is so carefully maintained that an abnormal serum TSH in most patients is believed to indicate the presence of a disorder of thyroid gland function. The utility of TSH measurements has been recognized and its use has remarkably increased, due to the development of immunometric methodologies for its accurate quantitation in serum, although the criteria to define a “normal range” still remain matted of controversy."

So please, let's talk this out...how can CT bypass the thyroid, and yes, I've read CT6.

6. I have read CT6 too which is why I have been doing CT since I read it. If TRH can directly control cellular metabolism, I would think it would either 1) continue to stimulate the thyroid to produce the thyroid hormone T4 that it can - possible leading to production of RT3 if T3 becomes saturated in the blood because it's not being used or 2) Something directs the thyroid to stop producing T4 while TRH continues to be produced and all labs indicate fail though the body if functioning at the cellular level. Wondering what has been seen with labs at the clinical level if anything...

7. AKMan

AKMan New Member

It seems to me that if CT can negate the need for a thyroid gland completely, meaning no T4/T3 is present in the body, then this would be the biggest thing since the discovery of pennicillin. I don't understand the claim that CT overrides thyroid function.

A lowering of T3 has been noted in Arctic dwellers in several studies, thought to be linked to limited sunlight and extreme cold temps. Workers at the Antarctic research stations report 'Polar T3 syndrome'. In both these cases, the persons with low T3 exhibit classic hypothyroid symptoms.

So, with a non-functional thyroid, how can TRH run the show?

8. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I'm very skeptical of this, too. I can see great applications for CT improving Hashimoto's because of the anti-inflammatory and cytokine inhibitory effects and maybe there's some way it can help the Thyroid Pituitary Axis or T4-T3 conversion, or upregulate receptor sensitivity, but I can't see how if someone has a non-functioning thyroid or none at all, this would work...

9. Pardus

Pardus New Member

+1... I'm curious about this as well...

10. agatha

agatha New Member

+1

could you help us out here doc?

11. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I read through the 1300+ responses on CT-6, and nobody seemed to question these claims about the thyroid. There were no cites that jumped at me saying 'thyroid studies', and nothing I have ever read on the thyroid indicates you can survive more than a few months without T3 somewhere in your system. Would love to see some discussion on this!

From CT-6:

"""THYROID TOO?

ALL REUNITE (MORE GEEKY THOUGH): THE WARM ADAPTED STORY of metabolism and biochemistry YOU HEAR REGURGITATED EVERYWHERE ON THE NET:

Once leptin enters and binds to its receptors, it effects the lateral hypothalamic tracts to immediately send a second messenger signal to the thyroid to signal it to up-regulate thyroid function and efficiency. See whne we are warm adapted it require help to partially access this pathway from T3 hormone. If you are LR you never can access this pathway. This specifically is how we can raise our basal metabolic rate when we are leptin sensitive. These coupled events, matched with leptin’s actions peripherally in muscles, occur at the UCP3 sites……to burn fat as we sleep at a higher basal metabolic rate. This means electron chain transport does not make ATP as usual. When leptin allows this uncoupling to occur we make heat and not energy from normal metabolism. This means we will burn off our excess calories as pure heat. This is one reason why calories in and calories out argument makes no biologic sense once you understand how leptin works. Humans are built to burn fat at night as we sleep to loose excess weight we don’t need. This is our modern day equivalent of hibernation. Out big fat amazing human brain got rid of winter sleep and took over a two hour window during sleep to replace it. CT-7 covers the gorgeous symphony of human circadian biology. Since it shrunk our risk of mismatches has risen exponentially. This is how your brain or feelings, can undercut you, when you are unaware of what a sped up epigenetics meant to human mammalian biochemistry. SKEPTICS: You wanted data, and now I am killing you with it.

THE COLD ADAPTED HUMAN THYROID FXN: does not bother with T3 at all. Why? When you are supremely LS by cold you go straight the the source, the hypothalamus and make TRH from the brain. The brain controls all thyroid function in cold…….forget the Moose thyroid.

SKEPTIC BOMB: You bypass all hormones and TSH too. TRH drives the whole show. The brain is completely in control and it up regualtes fat burning everywhere. This is how the Ancient Pathway lights your pilot light. The warm adapted human always complains about the cold and always feels cold……the cold adapted on is always pink to cherry in cold radiating heat like a furnace. You can thank TRH for this. This is does not even require a thyroid gland either. Is not life grand in the cold, folks?"""

I read through the 1300+ responses, and nobody seemed to question these claims about the thyroid. There were no cites that jumped at me saying 'thyroid studies', and nothing I have ever read on the thyroid indicates you can survive more than a few months without T3 somewhere in your system. Would love to see some discussion on this!

12. AKMan

AKMan New Member

From Wikipedia:

"The (thyroid hormones, T3/T4) act on nearly every cell in the body. They act to increase the basal metabolic rate, affect protein synthesis, help regulate long bone growth (synergy with growth hormone) and neuronal maturation, and increase the body's sensitivity to catecholamines (such as adrenaline) by permissiveness. The thyroid hormones are essential to proper development and differentiation of all cells of the human body. These hormones also regulate protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism, affecting how human cells use energetic compounds. They also stimulate vitamin metabolism. Numerous physiological and pathological stimuli influence thyroid hormone synthesis.

Thyroid hormone leads to heat generation in humans. However, the thyronamines function via some unknown mechanism to inhibit neuronal activity; this plays an important role in the hibernation cycles of mammals and the moulting behaviour of birds. One effect of administering the thyronamines is a severe drop in body temperature."

So, how can CT bypass all this?

13. I thought he was talking about BAT thermogenisis not being t3 dependent, just cold dependant?

14. Dan in Utah

Dan in Utah New Member

From CT-6:

This is one of Dr. Kruse's more audacious claims. I would like to see a case study. Like they say, extraordinary claims warrant extraordinary evidence.

AKMAN, it shouldn't take long to see if your TSH is climbing, free Ts falling. It give it six weeks tops before you re-test.

P.S. Whadayathink he means by Moose thryoid, anyway?

15. chocolate

chocolate Silver

My friend is doing CT and thought her thyroid was basically dead. She has been clean eating for about a month and said her thyroid meds (armour) made her thyroid plump up a few days ago. She is just doing tons of ice paks. I know you guys were talking about bypassing it. But I think the clean eating has put back some magnesium. She was impossibly deficient the last few times. The lyme makes its biofilms from the mag and she needs find a way to steal it back from them. No one seems to know if the lyme goes after the dumped magnesium, or if it out right assaults for it. (or if they do know, we don't)

It would be really cool if you didn't need a thyroid, but I think mine is even wide awake. The sandy eye sockets are a Graves disease symptom and I got it while c-ting and a storm blew in. I seem to get it every time the weather changes, since I've been going in the cold water.

16. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

that`s a reference to the MDA thread where there was a conversation about a first nations group in the north that would eat Moose thyroid in the weeks before they wanted to get preggers (or at least that is the gist of the convo)

17. marthabob2u

marthabob2u New Member

Well in the meantime will keep taking my dose of porcine powder while CT'ing but I have cut the dose back a grain and still seem to be ticking along just fine. I'm on Acella and was taking 3 grains.

No weight loss miracles here yet but I have lost about an inch of waistline and seem to fit into some clothes better than before. I'll take it and keep on dunking.

18. Groketteliveson

Groketteliveson New Member

I am curious to see what your next TSH lab results will be, please keep us posted!

19. Very curious to see your results, but more importantly would love to know how you are feeling and whether you are experiencing any hypo symptoms. I've been on T3 only meds for 2 years because of high RT3 and am going to try to wean off to see what happens. Been CTing for a couple months. Still not cold adapted, but the cold baths are getting easier.

--Steph

20. selma@decna.no

selma@decna.no New Member

This story starts in Weston A. Price's book "Nutrition and Degradation". Chris Kresser retold the story on one of his podcasts, but withouth remembering the origin.