1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT simple questions

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by RobInDC, Nov 15, 2018.

1. RobInDC

RobInDC New Member

Couple simple questions on CT Kruse’s way. I learned the Wim Hof way which is a bit different.

1- How do you decide when to get out at the beginning?

2- Do you stay in if shivering?

3- Over time, does the shivering go away?

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

My family's N=3

10-15 minute timer. Now a 20-30 minute timer. I sometimes get a little burp near 20 minutes in that I assume is a signal of some sorts like my gut vitamin d receptor calling up from the engine room.

None of us remember shivering much.

For all in my family we do not shiver anymore. I did 2 x 5min dunks at 42ºF yesterday and layed on a lounge chair afterwards. No shivers.

Answers above from my wife and son.

Phosphene and RobInDC like this.
  3. RobInDC

RobInDC New Member

Thanks for the info.

I’ve been shivering at 3 minutes or so. Controlling water temp outside is harder now. I’m using a 100 gallon horse trough.

Feels great but unsure if I should shiver and stay in or get out.

4. drezy

drezy Gold

You've been at it for more than a couple months from what I recall.

Fatty DHA stuffed meal prior?

Here's a little reassurance:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/shivering.332/#post-4076
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/ct-question-shivering.9347/#post-105760

RobInDC likes this.
  5. RobInDC

RobInDC New Member

Thanks for the links.

I just restarted CT training a week ago. Was doing occasional Wim Hof style dips.

Yes to dha, fatty meals before.

Feels like my body is shifting in a good direction. Sleep is getting much better. More confidence. More libido.

Will keep shaking my way through it and bumping up the times.

drezy likes this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Those are big wins in my book.

If you post back here with your time bumping process it may be useful for someone else in your situation in the future.

RobInDC and Jim Laird like this.
  7. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I’ve been doing longer (50 min) but less frequent sessions because I (mistakenly?) thought longer was better. Plus getting the tub filled enough to cover mid-torso uses so much water it feels wasteful to not stay in as long as possible. Plus damn the warmup is difficult now that the sun can’t joyfully help it along...

I don’t shiver much beyond the initial shock (~50F well water) till about half an hour in, then I slog it out the last 15-20 minutes because I feel I should be pushing myself. Maybe I need to just get out before it becomes torturous.

Still hate cold showers (and so does my tangly hair). Currently start with warm to tepid, then end with a reluctant minute or so of cold on head and backside.

RobInDC likes this.
  8. RobInDC

RobInDC New Member

9. shah78

shah78 Gold

1.i used a therometer for first year.. temp rose for first 15-20 minutes (cool as shit to watch ) and then i would get out as soon as I got down to original temp. so 25 minutes. 2. I have never shivered in water. I've done over2000 hrs of ct at 50 degrees. I've shivered 3 times afterwards. I like to take a walk afterwards.

10. Butters

Butters New Member

Thats a nice hack, would like to see that with me :D

drezy and RobInDC like this.
  11. My building has an outdoor pool. I'm going to try to start with 5 minutes on a Sunny day!

drezy and RobInDC like this.
  12. RobInDC

RobInDC New Member

I wonder if shiver correlates to Omega 3/6 balance?

Mine is probably way off because of my almond/brazil nut addiction.

@Jack Kruse make sense that shiver correlates with omega balance?

13. drezy

drezy Gold

You can kick that addiction to the curb. I believe in you brother. One day at a time.

14. RobInDC

RobInDC New Member

Hahaha. It’s not that bad.

But if I go on a bender, I’ll think of you and proceed to my local almonds anonymous meeting.

drezy likes this.
  15. drezy

drezy Gold

Let me know when you start snorting them. Because
    1. I'll start to worry about you
    2. It'll be really cool to tell people that I know a dude that snorts Brazil nuts

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    RobInDC likes this.
  16. Butters

Butters New Member

Other question:

Jack wrote in the CT protocol, that adapting to the cold would take shorter time with eating lot of carbs and vice versa longer time with eating ketogenic?
    Is that a mistake, because he is advocating a ketogenic diet and in the autumn and winter there are less or no carbs?
    If that isnt a mistake, can someone explain that to me?