1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT question - Shivering

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Da-mo, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I'm currently doing CT in a pool at the base of a waterfall immersed up to my neck at 14C for about 25 minutes.

I start shivering within 5 minutes of immersion and the worst of the shivering peaks during the 15 minute walk back from the waterfall and continues for 30minutes to an hour afterwards.

Should I be keeping the same duration, increasing duration or just going to the point where shivering is induced?

I do try to maximise the calorie burn and muscle workout from the shivering but wonder whether that should be the end point or not?

2. nicld

nicld Gold

Shivering afterwards in normal. I asked jack once about shivering while in CT and he said that it was not really good and that when that happens to him, he gets out and has some shrimp or coconut oil then get's back in and it helps. Once in a while I get a little shivering while doing CT but not too bad. When it does get bad I get out. That's my N=1 and I do ALOT of long cold cold CT and it has got way better over the past 6 months.

3. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

For the first year I did what you are doing and had the same experience. Now I stop full immersion when I begin to shiver whether that is just five minutes or longer. This also seems to prevent shivering post CT. Saves a lot of time as we are non functional during shivering.

4. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Thanks for the responses. So if I understand correctly, I should end CT at the onset of shivering and over time the duration before that onset should increase?

I should probably say that the shivering is not uncontrollable - I can stop it at will if I want - just wonder whether I should . . . .

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

I really thought some shivering was a good thing .... am I wrong about that?

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

What kind of shivering are we talking about? Can you talk normally? Are they fairly intense, or almost unnoticeable tremors running along your spine?

7. Josh

Josh Gold

If you have not already, read CT 6, 7 and the second half of 11 where someone talks about their process; and the appendix of the book if you have it. These will frame your inquiry.

8. nicld

nicld Gold

I think the small shivers are fine at least I hope so since I get them. The real issue may be the whole body shakes where your core body temperature may be dropping. When I get the whole body shaking then its time to get out.

9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Yes, I agree totally.

10. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Seems like there is no definitive answer so I'll take it to the Ask Jack section after checking the CT blogs again . . . . .

Next silly question . . . . Risk of reperfusion injury

After I get out of the waterfall pool it is a 15 minute walk back to the car. Given that I am wet and cold and shivering, and I feel it more in my arms and legs and between my shoulder blades - I dont really feel cold around the torso otherwise . . . . .

What risk am I running or a reperfusion injury where because of the walking I am not circulating cold blood from my extremeties and limbs back through the heart and lungs? . . . . .

this is the part of my CT where I feel the coldest - for the first part of the walk, by the second half of the walk I'm feeling warmer again.

I may take this question to the Ask Jack section as well. I know he will stand outside in the buff for awhile after getting out of the lake - but maybe he doesnt move around so much while he does this.

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

No idea about the reperfusion injury, but I like the double meaning in the second line of your sig.

12. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it nonchalant :cool: But yes, you are right!

I sometimes ask people, chocloate or vanilla, how many choices do you have . . . most say two. I say you have four, chocolate, vanilla, both or none . . . .

My father extended this even further. Once when he was in hospital he was given a menu so he could tick in the box what foods he wanted. What he wanted was not on the list, so he wrote on that list what he wanted, drew a small box next to it and put a check mark in the box. Blow me down if they didnt turn up with the breakfast he chose :D

BTW, we saw an eel in the waterfall pool where we CT last night . . . dont think wife or daughter will be going back anytime soon unless I make some sort of cage for them to sit in . . . . :eek:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014