1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT newwbie confused

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by PaleoDentist, Mar 24, 2012.

1. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

Hi Everyone,

first some background:

I am day 5 into Leptin Rx, I have been on pretty strict Low carb Paleo: meats and veggies for 13 months. down form 225lbs-184. stalled at 184 for 2 months, and now moving down again (182) I'm 5'9 medium build male.

I have sleep issues: wake up at 4:30 am and can't go back to sleep averaging 5-6 hours a night. I suspect my cortisol its all screwed up. may get it tested, but in either case, although I do not have much in the way of body fat to lose, I do want to get optimized. I hope that CT will improve my sleep. and shred the rest of the body fat. I do 1-2 days of heavy weights 20-30 min per day. may introduce sprints every two weeks,when my hip tendon heals.

I have some detail related questions on CT.

began today with face dunks in cold tap water in my sink. I did 5, 30 second dunks with adding cold water to the sink as I think it gets warmed up by my body temp.

what does the progression using face dunks look like? (what time increments?) do I add ice? and when?. I plan on using a thermometer for the water. it should be 50F right? I also got hold of some skin thermometers. what should they read?

when do I graduate to body icing? how many weeks or what goal reached.

this is very new to me and a bit confusing, hope that some CT veterans will weigh in! Thanks in advance!

Alex

2. I'm totally addicted to my face dunks, and here is what I did.

I started the first few days just holding breath. Then I got a snorkel and just stayed under, increasing each day by 2 mins a time till I was up to two weeks/twenty mins. First icy dunk and 10-15 seconds was max. 2nd day I could do a min, 3rd day 4-6 mins no prob. Then I just added 2 mins a day from there.

I found a bowl chilled down with ice gets water to about 32-35, and my face from 47-55. . .right in the target zone. I used an infrared therm to measure.

There has been some discussion on the usefulness of the snorkel - as you can achieve the same with coming up for breath. Your skin probably won't rise in temp so fast that it gets out of zone. The debate is if the "dive reflex" is relevant, and that requires breath holding.

Since I was enjoying the face stuff so much, I just kept doing with snorkel. I've moved on to spot icing, but kept the face dunking as I enjoyed it - and I swear my face looks younger!

Also, I think it helped me with the mental barrier and will hopefully get me through the first baths. Since once the initial "dunk" was over, I just didn't feel cold on my face! It was super feeling. I would go longer except I get tired of standing over a bowl!

It also helps with the "how the F%^&$ am I going to set my ass down in a tub of cold water" instinct. It puts a little light at the end of the CT tunnel.

3. Sherry

Sherry Silver

I too started with the face dunks and since my hormones are so out of whack I really wanted to move on to the baths as I initially thought that they would move things along faster. I then moved to the ice bags and finally to the baths. And, I still use ice bags most nights in addition to the baths. That process took me about 8 days, maybe less. Although, I would say that this is all an individual process. Each of us are unique and therefore will have unique progression, unique detox symptoms, etc. I have been doing the baths for maybe three weeks now. I can't remember when Dr. K first blogged about the protocol but I started the process that day. There are days when I get in that tub and have no problem and there are days when I shiver my teeth loose. I meditate while in there and it makes it so much easier. I've tried reading, etc. It doesn't work for me but do whatever works for you and dive in.

And, Cavemam I like the snorkel idea. I didn't think of it until I had moved on to the ice packs. But, since I've noticed skin differences I think I should start adding the face dunks again. Thanks for the momentum.

4. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

Thanks! I like the snorkel idea as well. I actually have one already! So I need to start with ice water? I guess plain cold tap water is too warm. will try that ice tomorrow. do we need to warm up afterward? like drying off with a towel to taking a warmer shower?

Sherry, do you take cold baths every day? with ice? how long is each session? is there a max time?

5. LinD

LinD New Member

Uh-oh.... Did I miss something crucial to the CT process by not starting with face dunks and going straight into the cold bath? Or is that simply a step to help one move into the cold bath?

6. Sherry

Sherry Silver

You can start with warmer water and then work your way down in temperature. It's all an individual thing. I have to use ice because I live in the Florida Keys and our water is piped in from the mainland above ground. It's probably near 80 out of the tap this time of year. I've got ice going in all different directions and I buy the 20# bags.

I am not doing baths every day. I probably get in about 4-5 per week. But, I do use ice bags in the evening when reading or watching a movie - every night - even after I've done a bath. I do my baths around mid-day because they energize me and then I can't sleep. But, many, many people are reporting excellent sleep afterwards so it is all individual. I stay in the bath at least 35 minutes. Sometimes when I'm shivering that is about all I can take. Other times when I'm not shivering (that varies) I'll stay in for 50-55 minutes. Dr. Kruse has been in for hours so I don't think there is a max. Good luck.

7. LinD

LinD New Member

What gets me out sooner than later, Sherry, is the need to use the bano... (lol). Guess I could get back in the bath? But the other factor is time....

8. Sherry

Sherry Silver

I haven't had that problem and it's probably a good release of toxins so that is good. Time is always an issue. Dr. K said that the effects are cumulative so any time you can give it is always good.

9. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

http://jackkruse.com/the-evolution-of-the-leptin-rx/

10. Dextery

Dextery New Member

John,

Just draw non heated water into the tub and stand in the tub for five minutes. Then crouch down and barely allow your butt into the water for a couple of minutes. Then close your eyes and just sit down and then scream for 30 seconds until you have no more air to scream with...and by that time you will find that you say to yourself "this really isn't so bad". Have a book to read and stay as long as you can. The book helps the time pass or watch a youtube video. Dr Lustig's Sugar, The Bitter Truth is a good one or Dr Doug McGuff on the paleo diet is another good one. I have a tub/shower and I set a chair beside the opening to the tub and can watch videos on my laptop.

Then repeat the next evening before bed and for most people, CT induces sleep...it does for me...but be aware for some it is so invigorating that sleep following CT is difficult.

After a week, I was able to do 45 min easily and now I do 1.25 hours easily in 60 degree water. You can do the same. Your neolithic mind is your only obstacle. You will change your DNA by how you think about cold thermogenesis. You do want your telomeres longer....don't you?