1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT for domestic animals

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Mei, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Mei

Mei New Member

I've got a few creatures near and dear to my heart. As they've taught me most of what I know, I started thinking maybe they could explain CT to me a little better. The ones I've got are mammals, after all...

Most animals are closer to cold adapted than we, their human compatriots. However, obviously living in a heated home, eating lame pet food and being kept from natural rhythms correspond with health issues in pets. While I've noticed that my dog begs to go outside simply to lie flat in the cold grass, I haven't implemented any cold protocol with him or the cats. They're on dog/cat-paleo (raw meat!), though, and Francis Augustus the Cat supplements with a rat or two every day. I also (hehehe) kind of started the dog (he's old and slowing down) on the Leptin Rx, in as much as I have started feeding him a big ol' breakfast early in the morning, no lunch, and a small dinner. He seems to be diggin it.

One of my horses, Amalia, who has worn a blanket (non horse people read: horse coat) every winter due to projected and/or complicated health issues has clued me in that even outdoor pets can benefit from cold thermogenesis. While the other horse, Sparrow, is happy as a clam, healthy as a - well, a horse - and spent the winter shivering his naked butt off, Amalia suffers from periodic laminitis (a foot condition caused by/indicative of insulin and other metabolic issues, brought on by - you guessed it - too much sugar!), has difficulty gaining weight, and is alternately lovely and sweet and a total dragon depending on, I'm guessing, her hormonal activity and/or balance/imbalance. What if she's less cold adapted than Sparrow, which denies her the healing benefits of the cold?

Amalia has an inch and a half long hole in her left front hoof wall, left over from an abscess that blew last year, which only started to trouble her now. In the past couple weeks, she's also had tender feet, an absolutely ferocious attitude, and a weird inflammation in her shoulder. That was my clue (key word: inflammation!) to trace this episode back to the barn manager's comment: "Oh, I wanted to put more weight on her so I gave her Hi-Fat and Cob!" NOOO!! 1. horses don't have gallbladders. They can't digest fat, their bodies don't know what to do with it and turn it into a toxin. 2. Cob = grain (oats, corn, etc) coated in molasses. YIKES. Crash course in paleo for horses: they create all the energy they need from fermenting indigestible fibre in their enormous hind gut. They need low, low sugar forage, small and frequent portions, and should walk 10 - 50 miles a day at a slow pace (think living in mountains or deserts in extreme conditions and how extremely efficient you would need to be, especially as a herbivore). So pumping her with sugar and fat sent her body into failure and inflammation...

Long story short? I became obsessed with CTing my horse... only one session thus far but I remembered a common treatment for lameness issues is to soak the foot - maybe many of the benefits come from unknown CT effects! So I filled a bucket full of cold water, and put her foot in it. The end. She loved it, stood there all relaxed and happy like she knew full well what I was up to - and normally, she won't put her toes in any amount of water.

I will update if I notice any more improvements with further treatment.

Meanwhile, anybody else think their household companions might be wonderful and willing experimental subjects? If so, how far would you take it, so long as they showed no signs of distress? I mean, let's be quiet about it so as not to alert PETA (I'm sure they'd object to ice baths for shi-tzus or whatever), but if I'm going to be optimum, I think my long-suffering animal friends might as well be, too.

2. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

My poor 10 year old cairn terrier needs any help she can get. Years of "allergies" treated with the occasional corticosteroids and that's not a road I like to go down!!

Seriously considering starting her on GAPS and paleo diet along with some ct and repopulating the gut flora her meds have caused. Anyone else do this?

3. Marie

Marie New Member

(Edited to add) For Krusing...

I've been a Raw feeder for 9 years, and a Prey Model feeder for 7. I'd suggest that you search Prey Model Raw and get going. It is very simple, once you get the hang of it and I spend less than $30/mo to feed my 65lb dog high quality meats and supplements.

Find a local feeders co-op, supplement with lots of Salmon oil and GreenTripe.com products. You'll be amazed at the difference in your dog, how he/she smells especially, and how healthy they become. Animals, like humans, bloom on an evolutionary diet. It is best to get a mentor to help you sort through the beginning stages as it is a bit like having a baby and having a lot of questions...then it all becomes common sense.

(And btw, for all the cat owners, cats do extremely well on raw as they are a pure carnivore and do not have the same forgiving physiology that your dog has...)

Check out DogtorJ's website (http://dogtorj.com/) as he is a member here and has been preaching the evolutionary path for a long, long time. He's a bit wordy, so it is best to print out his essays and highlight them :D

4. Mei

Mei New Member

yeah, like we're not used to wordy doctors around here...