1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT during warm weather

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by PaleoDentist, Mar 19, 2012.

1. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

Dr. Kruse is all about staying within the rhythms of nature. light/dark, seasons, eating seasonally, etc...

Is anyone concerned that doing CT in the summer or in warm climates is somehow against the natural order of things.

what I mean it, doing CT then walking out into the hot outside...won't this screw something up????

I'd love to hear what Dr. Kruse thinks!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I do most of my CT in the Summer by swimming.....and Icing on my deck

3. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

So normal water temp in the summer is helpful? then you just add ice?

4. Coriander

Coriander Silver

For as long as I have disease to cure, or weight to lose, I will stay in ketogenic paleo winter. The rythms of nature are for the healthy to enjoy, and once I am, I will.

What is against the natural order of things is the way I lived for 52 years. I need something radical to reverse that.

5. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

Every location is different.. but- where I am the nights dip to the low 40's all summer long, even when we have 90+ deg days. Also, our local lake is quite cool for swimming all summer long. Historically, humans would have had to remain adapted to the cold during summer to stay warm during the cold nights and they would have been bathing in the cold water all summer long too.

6. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I was on the beach near Tampa yesterday. I got a kick out of watching little kids get out of the water and shiver like crazy...their teeth were chattering so hard you'da thought it was Alaska!

7. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

This is me as well. I'm doing this in the midst of warm Australian fall, because it needs to be done.

8. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

That's sad. I grew up going to the beach near Tampa in spring, summer, and occasionally winter. It's not even that cold in the Gulf in December. March, and especially after the crazy mild winter we've had in the south, should be great. Sad wussy kids these days.

My dd used to freeze getting in the water in the summer at our pool when she was 6. Our son is now that age (and even less body fat than she had) and she is 13, and neither of them freeze. WAY different O6 scenario than we had 7 years ago in our house.

9. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

just bumping this thread in the hoped Dr Kruse chimes in.

My original point was: aren't we creating a mismatch doing CT in late spring, summer and early fall (when the days are longer and weather warmer)???

and aren't mismatches between the natural environment and the artificial one humans create the basis of mismatched and disease????

10. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

ditto to your question PaleoDentist....

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

here's how I see this - yes, you are creating a mismatch,with the seasons/circadian cycles. However leveraging cold and the ancient pathway to reverse disease (remember the ancient pathway bypasses the circadian cycles, via the leptin melancortal pathway - so it no longer becomes a mismatch) . So if you have disease - say inflammation, diabetes etc - and you follow Paleo WOE, and eat seasonally and stick to the circadian rhythms - all you do is slow down the further progression of the disease. by CTing, and eating Keto you Stop the disease, and begin to undo the harm, which will bring you back into balance, and allow you to follow Paleo woe in harmony w/seasons and circadian rhythms. Depending on your issues it can take from 18-24mths to become cold adapted, and reverse the disease.

Dr K will correct me if I'm out of bounds... :)

12. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

so the cold adaptation pathway evolved outside the circadian seasonal cycles??? that sounds a bit ridiculous and not very biological, unless I'm missing something.

(not being a wise-ass, just trying to understand.)

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

From what I understand yes... read the "What the hell is Factor X" Thread -http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?43-What-the-H-is-Factor-X-Post-your-guesses and it becomes pretty clear (Jack drops some serious hints). Think about the origins of mammals, especially those that are cold adapted - think whales - they leverage cold adaption; and don't rely on light cycles - the branch of mammals we originated from - came from the deep sea...its only been recent that we've become warm adapted and out of synch w/nature

14. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Each Summer when our local pool opens it seems like it takes forever for the sun to warm it up enough to even tolerate. I am so looking forward to getting in some laps early on when it is still tap cold! LOL By mid-June it will be tolerable for everyone else and to warm for me!

15. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Doesn't being cold adapted bring on a whole new set of problems? Of course even 80 degree water has some CT benefits .

16. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

My first problem I've encountered is my ice machine cannot keep up with the demand.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Gretchen is spot on as usual.

18. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

got it! Thanks