1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT chamber experiment, interested?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by drezy, May 8, 2017.

1. Dennis Clark

Dennis Clark Dr. Dennis Clark

Hi, JanSz...No, I don't think it's totally useless. As the Arboleaf website states somewhere, it's good for keeping track of trends. Without saying so directly, what they are referring to is using the device for precision (repeatability of measurements), not necessarily accuracy (closeness to the truth). That's what I get out of my handheld device (Omicron) for measuring body fat composition. The only test of accuracy I ever did with it is comparing my BF between the handheld device and the results of a submersion test. It turned out the Omicron read about 3% lower than the submersion test. Either one of the results could be accurate, or neither. I don't have results from enough other methods for comparison (e.g., DEXA). Over time, my Omicron has helped me follow changes fairly precisely. That's how I see the value of the Arboleaf.

JanSz and John Schumacher like this.
  2. How's your Body-Fat-Index?

JanSz likes this.
  3. Dennis Clark

My BF hovers around 22-23% acc. to my Omicron. Peaked out at 25% a few years ago. Was down to 21% a few years ago. Hasn't been below 20% since I was in my 20s.

John Schumacher likes this.
  4. I like being in the 12%.

5. Dennis Clark

Looks good! I might have been that low when I was 18.

Somewhere, some time ago, I think I saw a comment about seniors needing more fat (and cholesterol). Sound familiar?

6. Leptin Resistance -> To me BF% maybe flattering and motivating to do the hard work of strength training; however, metabolic dysfunction is a higher concern.

Marko Pollo likes this.
  7. JanSz likes this.
  8. Dennis Clark

This is why my rereading of the CT series stoked me even more to do it year-round. I'm going get a chiller, come hell or high water! The truly exciting message I got, finally, is how cold changes biochemistry. Enzyme activities, membrane structures, protein folding - the works.The ref. you linked (thanks for that!) is about 'warm' biochemistry. I'd like to see what thse interplays look like in the cold-adapted. Time to get those sherpas back into the lab!

9. Dennis Clark

I'll tell you what, John. I'm paying the price for years of endurance training (running). I'm now much more sensitive to the hormetic effects of exercise. At my age I still have hope I can recover some stem cells that I destroyed by overdoing it when I was younger. As for strength training, all I do is the Body by Science (aka, super-slow or Nautilus) method (http://www.drmcguff.com/) no more than once a week, sometimes every two weeks.

I'm not sure whether CT contributes to strength-building like the old-time isometric exercises. My muscles get really tense just about the whole time I'm in the tub at or below 55 F. It's like I'm flexing throughout the soak.

Oh, and regarding senior BF%, I quickly found one meta-analysis along those lines, although mostly focusing on BF distribution, not % (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3367099/).

Cheers,
    Dennis

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

12. Dennis Clark

JanSz...this report basically says getting a little overweight or mildly obese is OK. Even though that may be so, it doesn't sit well with me. When my BMI approached 30 more than a decade ago, I didn't like the way I felt or how I looked in the mirror. I know that 210 lbs may not seem like a lot to some folks. It was to me. I'm much better off at around 175 lbs, which is where I hover at now, rising or falling depending on the season.

13. Suggestion -> try making a deep cold water option

14. I HEART "Body by Science" Dr. Doug McGuff. That is why I use the X3 bar from Dr. John Jaquish https://www.jaquishbiomedical.com/ -> outside (fully exposed) to our sun.

My stem cell count is typically 3 times that of a young man.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  15. 50-55 degree complete immersion of minimum 20 minute in moving water will cause shivers afterwards for me.

16. Your not died yet - nor is it too late.
    To our health,
    John

17. Dennis Clark

Interesting and very detailed review. The first take-home is the explanation for why our ability to make DHA is so slow. A very convoluted process. The second it the interplay message itself. The cytosol is not a 'soup' as biology textbooks would have you believe. It's a densely packed gel-like milieu of membrane-bound organelles. That reiterates Pollack's book, Cell, Gels, and the Engines of LIfe once again.

18. Dennis Clark

Impressive, John. The X3 looks like the real deal, now that my fitness club is closed. (Not that I would go there nowadays, anyway.)

19. Dennis Clark

Yup...I see your point. Now to figure out how, where, and when I can get my stem cells evaluated, too.

20. Dennis Clark

I sometimes shiver almost uncontrollably for up to 30 minutes after a 1-hour soak (not moving water, either). That's why my ideal day is a sunny one, and my ideal time is high noon, just to warm up outside.