1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT chamber experiment, interested?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by drezy, May 8, 2017.

1. Mike David

Mike David Same name new person

This would be a miracle if I can get this going but I have faith.

2. drezy

drezy Gold

There are lots of way to build a heat exchanger. You'll want a sealed system so you're not sitting in antifreeze.

FWIW I tried plain water, but it ice blocked up in the cooler in a short time.

It starts out open on both ends

This one
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-...-Type-L-Coil-5-8-in-OD-PCLE-500L010/203654558
    OR this one
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-...L-Soft-Coil-1-2-in-O-D-PCLE-375L010/203654407

They both come nicely pre-coiled and happen to fit almost perfectly in this:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-10-Gal-Orange-Water-Cooler-FG1610HDORAN/202260809

on both ends it's easy to slap some sharkbites on. They slide on and are water tight:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...in-Male-Pipe-Thread-Adapter-U116LFA/202270503
    Or the 3/8" equivalent.

It's worth double checking in the store that it'll all fit. Keep in mind once the Sharkbite goes on it's not coming back off.

Yes, one hose screws on at the top and another runs down through the middle of the coil and screws on near the bottom. Then boom sealed liquid heat exchanger.

I used almost 10 gallons of straight cheap antifreeze. That way the heat exchanger can go down to something like -40F. I actually haven't measured how low it goes yet. It easily goes to -

Mike David likes this.
  3. drezy

drezy Gold

The only touchy part is while bending the cold coils of the condenser/chiller/dehumidifier. My advice is not to bend it when it's cold. If the connection snaps and the refrigerant comes out it's never going back in.

Mike David likes this.
  4. Mike David

Thanks a lot preciate it. I’ll send the pic when the stars align.

5. drezy

drezy Gold

Good luck. Slap some pictures up here when you get them.

The tub is now outside in a trial spot. My crew is extra happy with the outdoor setup.

Temperatures near me are 90-100F daily. Even at those temperatures I just need to run the chiller for 90 minutes (on an early morning timer) to take the system from 60F to 48F.

So daily operation costs me $1.14 per day in the heat of summer.

Each body in the tub for 30-45 minutes raises the temperature 2 degrees F.

Mike David likes this.
  6. Mike David

That’s sick how efficient that is. Just tossed a dehumidifier like 6 mo. Ago. LOL

7. drezy

drezy Gold

Sorry to hear that. Mine was sitting in the corner of a shed for about a decade. Craigslist is your friend here.

Not running to the ice machine 3 times a week, spending $6 each time, and carting 80 lbs of ice each time is nice. At least it's not my preferred leg workout.

I'm still experimenting with filtration options but the water stays clean enough to last 2 weeks with all of us using it daily thanks maybe to a few drops of peppermint oil. Once every two weeks I clean the tub and jumpstart it with an ice run.

Sheddie and Mike David like this.
  8. Mike David

Got a perfect spot picked out had to move like 3 square yards of junk and throw in the bagster . No small feat in this heat but I’m embracing the challenge. Ordered the tub looking today for the dehumidifier. My one year old really cuts into my time management he’s going into the tub first that’ll learn him. Just joking geez. Going to go right into the garage with the equipment perfect for esthetics. Is that how you spell that IDK you get it though. Also don’t want the animals messing with the antifreeze. Well wish me luck I hope the hard part is done!

Christine_L and drezy like this.
  9. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

The only cheaper medicine is sunshine.

drezy and Mike David like this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

If you ordered the trough from Tractor Supply be aware of one quirk. They are 4' long according to the specification. In actuality they range from 3.5 - 4'. I guess it eases shipping and the horses don't complain. My buddy returned his fo a true 4' long tub.

I started mine out in the garage. It's a pretty good controlled environment for adjustments.

Assuming that your child is uncoupled I'd let my kid hop in at 1. I think they can hack it. Hell if I could go back in time I'd try to have my boy dip in before a nap or bed so he slept quicker and I had more access to momma bear.

Mike David likes this.
  11. drezy

drezy Gold

Oxy, don't forget oxy.

My fenced in area is now like a cold, full solar exposure, and oxy theme park -- MitoLand.

12. Mike David

13. Mike David

Wasn’t messing around I’m 6’ 1”

drezy likes this.
  14. drezy

drezy Gold

No you were not.

15. Mike David

It said it will take 4 weeks. My goal is to have everything ready by then with some test runs on a Rubbermaid completed by then.

16. bionaut

bionaut New Member

dang, this project is awesome. Do you have the tank in direct sun? When you close it up are you able to keep bugs out? In FL it is hot and full of mosquitos some months.

drezy likes this.
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

The tank is in a trial area that gets sun from about 9AM-7PM. MY family seems to like it here better, so some patio stones and weatherproofing/pretty casing is in order soon.

It gets pretty dry where I'm at and mosquitos were only an issue for my wife and son one or two weeks in spring. I grew up near a swamp and got bit tons as a kid and now mosquitos either have me labeled "expired" or I just don't react anymore.

Future me will come up with a nice tight sealing homemade lid. For now a piece of Dow styrofoam R4 insulation with 5' of 2x4 on top as weight seems to keep pretty much everything out. I sprinkled diatomaceous earth around the site to discourage insects and it seems to be working.

It gets pretty warm here as I bake in the sun. here is the forecast for my week:

weather.png

Christine_L and caroline like this.
  18. drezy

drezy Gold

It's been a while since I blew something up.

People sometimes have a difficult time with Doc's statement "heat shrinks water"

Here is an example of me letting water get too cold inside of a copper heat/cold exchange coil. That's expansion.

crack.jpg

Looks like my 10' exchanger coil will soon be a 9' exchange coil...

Christine_L and KrusinWitchie like this.
  19. I love using peppermint oil - nice little hack and extends the cold feeling IMHO.

Would you consider a second tub insulated without cold coils for a pseudo float tank ? Thinking about Mike's 6 ft tub size filled up with epsom salt could be cool.

The metal trough is cheap enough to buy for an outside tub. I too would like to keep out mosquitoes, unfortunately even 30 years later they find me to be a nice snack morning, noon and night.

20. drezy

drezy Gold

Just be careful. Galvanized metal does not play well with salts if you are considering using them.

I've been thinking about float tanks some. My wild idea notebook has a sketch of something that looks like a smallish 5'wx8'lx5'deep structure like an unground pool, except that embedded in bottom middle of it is a smaller 2'wx6'lx3'deep mini pool. So the mini salt pool would effectively be 3'-6' underground. Slap a storm door of sorts on it and that would be kinda isolated.