1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ct bath, warm straight after?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Solidsilverteeth, May 19, 2019.

1. Solidsilverteeth

Solidsilverteeth New Member

This is such a good forum, I've only been here a month and already found so much good info.

In a month of starting CT slowly I had my first ice bath this morning.

I don't know if it's cheating but a sat in empty bath and just turned on the tap to let it fill slowly around me. I have a 1 litre bottle of ice on my cheat which I will put back in the deep freezer every day.

If you keep still the skin can take it, it moving in the ice bath that really hurts, I was shivering a deep breathing.

Also wondered about drawing it and having warm water bath straight after, is this a good idea?

2. Karlosis

Karlosis New Member

Solidsilverteeth and Lahelada like this.
  3. kris90

kris90 New Member

Depends on your goals. One of the main goals of CT is to help your body synthesize more brown fat (BAT) which is more mitochondrial dense, so you're basically working to improve your engine so-to-speak. Cold basically signals the hypothalamus that it is winter, and the quantum yield is low, and activates thermogenesis (the act of uncoupling oxidative phosphorylation) to favor heat production over ATP production in mitochondria. Heat/light is always required to drive energy flow, and this is how our mitochondria make up the deficit in winter.

Cold is not technically hormetic. There may be some initial adaptations that occur (which would be typical of a mammal transitioning from an active, warm-adapted state to a hibernative, dormant state) but once the adaptation takes place, the affect of cold is quantum mechanical. Matter is condensed in the cold as electrons fall to the ground state while giving off their excess energy in the form of light or heat. This light or heat is not wasted, but rather captured and used by the cell through the water that surrounds a mitochondria. Basically, cold doesn't actually cause our mitochondria to work harder, rather it naturally pulls the heat out of it and transfers that heat energy via the water networks in the body, and it just so happens that water has a LARGE capacity for heat, so that energy can be stored and not lost back to the environment. Given that the mitochondria produce WATER inside the cell, we need optimal mitochondrial function in order to not only PRODUCE energy (ATP) and heat, but also PRODUCE water that is the means of keeping energy inside our body and not losing it back to our environment.

So to answer your question, if you are using CT to become cold adapted and build up brown fat (BAT), using warm water post CT would likely attenuate your efforts. IF you are already cold adapted, it would be fine (i.e. cold tub, sauna, repeat) although I don't see a need to use heat to warm yourself up after CT if you are cold adapted since you will produce heat naturally with high efficiency.