1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

CT bad for increasing Muscle Mass

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by cap, Feb 6, 2017.

1. cap

cap New Member

This research seems to show CT would be bad for trying to gain Muscle or great for those not trying to gain mass..

Thoughts?

Would it be advised to not do CT or cold showers Peri-workouts if you are trying to gain Muscle?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26174323

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Not true.........Did you see how they did the experiment? Under artificial light therefore their conclusions are very flawed. Why? Muscles have mitochondria and blue penetrates into muscles to affect and destroy them. So does red light to build muscle but indoor light has no red light............and this is the real effect you are seeing.

During sleep this is why blue light and really any light affects the brain and its size and function too.

SLEEPING SHRINKS THE BRAIN....AND THAT'S A GOOD THING
    Why? Anything that looses energy gets larger as a result. When things begin to shrink they contain their energy for optimal function. For example, when you sprain your ankle does it get bigger or smaller? Whne you have heart failure does that heart get bigger or smaller? When a star ages doesn't it get larger and progress on to become a red giant before exploding? So it makes complete sense that during sleep the brain become more energy efficnet and this is why it shrinks. People who cannot sleep well tend to have brains that are not energy efficient and this is why their brains get larger. It is also why astronauts eyes get larger when they go in space and have many problems with their retina and optic nerves when they return to space. It seems like biology is just getting a whiff of the thermodynamics of size. Ah, to sleep, perchance … to shrink your neural connections? That's the conclusion of new research that examined subtle changes in the brain during sleep.
    The researchers found that sleep provides a time when the brain's synapses — the connections among neurons — shrink back by nearly 20 percent. During this time, the synapses rest and prepare for the next day, when they will grow stronger while receiving new input — that is, learning new things, the researchers said.
    Without this reset, known as "synaptic homeostasis," synapses could become overloaded and burned out, like an electrical outlet with too many appliances plugged in to it, the scientists said. http://www.livescience.com/57740-sleeping-shrinks-brain-synapses.html

3. shah78

shah78 Gold

BULLSHIT! I spent a wopping three hours in the gym all of 2016 and I'm in the best shape of my life. Oh and I'm 61 years old. ........CT is an injury free, simply better alternative to the gym rat existence. I starting lifting in 1974. I wasted almost 40 years doing it the traditional way. CT rocks. The more the better.

4. shah78

shah78 Gold

I sit in the tub for an hour or two, until I drive for my three to seven minute workout at the gym. Then I go back and sit in the tub some more. So I get a three hour "workout" in, with no sweating, exertion, cortisol spike, muscle strain, injury. I call it the Science Fiction workout. I'm sometimes joined in the workout by Kirk, Spock, McCoy and few Klingons. :)

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Some say that icing after workout prevents muscle growth.

good inflammation
    bad inflammation

6. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I found the opposite true, after 8 months ct with no exercise I had a lot more muscle mass!

SlamSlask, Jude, Alper and 3 others like this.
  7. shah78

shah78 Gold

8. shah78

shah78 Gold

I'm down to one supplement now. 50 gms of DHEA. Nothing else on a regular or irregular schedule. Not adverse to a little Ashwaganda/ Maca before sexual escapades, but none recently. Just CT , sun
    and the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    CarlD, caroline, lohd2015 and 2 others like this.
  9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

About Maca.
    What do you think about Maca?

Recently I came across Maca in interesting ways.
    Via
    Myristic Acid

On fatty acid analysis there are (my values)(%Status)
    Myristoleic Acid, C14:1 ------- -43.44
    Myristic Acid, C14:0 ------- -26.67

Cetyl myristoleate (CMO) is described as an ester of a fatty acid that helps in
    Fibromyalgia
    arthritis
    then variety of other ills showed up.
    Imy findings here
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-62#post-206596

It turns that out that maca is outer layer of nutmeg fruit.
    And the nutmeg seed is delicious spice and likely have higher content of the good stuff.

Some other people that did this analysis are also low.
    It seems as a popular deficiency.

Overall I thought that this may be interesting subject to investigate.

10. shah78

shah78 Gold

Maca= more often than not, a better erection=no further analysis required. and far less typing. :)

caroline and JanSz like this.
  11. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Agreed. The article is about CT directly after strength training. Lifting weights elicits an inflammatory response which you need to recover, so doing CT wouldn't help (same thing goes for taking antioxidants after a workout). But if you CT when it doesn't interfere with that response, or simply don't lift weights and only CT it's no problem.

12. cap

cap New Member

So if your goal is to gain Muscle Mass and you lift weights, then the Researchers are correct and CT should not be done anywhere near your lifting session or Anabolic window?? =( (I love taking Cold Showers and Jumping in the Ocean)

The debate here is not about whether CT is good for you or not, perhaps the necessary inflammatory response from training gets negatively affected by the anti-inflammatory effects of CT?

13. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

To be honest, if you workout outside, and jump in the ocean afterwards, I find it hard to believe that would be bad. But I was referring to the link between mTOR activation and hypertrophy. Cold exposure can inhibit mTOR so possibly reduce hypertrophy. Research in this area does not take into account anything of the three legged stool so take it with a grain of salt.

14. cap

cap New Member

I actually lift in a gym mainly that's why I pose the question. I agree outside there is probably not as much of a negative affect, not too mention outside is optimal. So it appears I should plan my CT away from my workouts then if I am prioritizing hypertrophy ... =(

15. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

If you want to prioritize hypertrophy then you may need to do things that come at a cost.... This is proven.... Look in the gym. But it comes at a cost to long term health. But if your after strong, healthy functional, muscle with a side effect of size then perhaps health is prioritized. You can can have it both but perhaps not to an extreme of unhealthy size. Just my experience. I say CT is good anytime you can make it happen..... even after or before workouts. Before and then a good warm up makes for a fun workout..... Sunshine and earthing after makes it a killer workout...

WalterNL and shah78 like this.
  16. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Ya Ive been doing my workout after I CT. No particular reason other than the convenience of using the workout to help the warm up and as a time saver by combining the two. Im prioritising my health over muscle mass so as long as my workout doesnt hinder my CT benefits Im good.

17. Hunger4More

Hunger4More New Member

No published studies on this, but it's killer for hypertrophy:
    CT prior to workout + blood flow restricted training

Give it a shot

18. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Really if you do everything that optimizes good sleep and giving the right stimulus growth will happen.

Doing the things that optimizes sleep would include CT among many other things but dialing in your sleep is going to have the biggest impact over everything in my experience.

And dialing in a good night sleep pretty much Follows along what Jack here says lays out.

Like Barry here has said:
    "In order for the adaptation to occur, the stimulus must resonate"

shah78 likes this.
  19. Mace is the outside of the nutmeg fruit....Maca is a route originating in the South America. Just FYI

shah78 likes this.
  20. cap

cap New Member

The Avocado originates from Mexico...that shouldnt mean its limited to Mexicans?