1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Could upping your thyroid hormones accelerate aging?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Greenisland, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Greenisland

Greenisland New Member

I was wondering if upping your thyroid to the top quartile could possibly be speed your metabolism, and thus accelerate aging. If a calorie restriction increases lifespan and slows aging, wouldn't ramping up your thyroid, increasing food intake and speeding metabolic processes do the opposite?

Shijin13, NeilBB and Alex97232 like this.
  2. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Its like you are in my head....seriously. I was wondering the same.

Feeling good on calorie restriction/IF. Wondering how much of my energy was being depleted simply through digestion

I am only a few weeks off of my thyroid meds after taking them since 2006. I had been trying to work myself off of them for the last year (following gut instinct) but every time I dropped the dose my docs would freak and tell me it needed to be back to 180mg. I stopped them completely over 2 weeks ago now and I am feeling better by the day. My skin is improving, my mood, my energy....still a little lump in the throat thing going on but other than that I feel great.

Lava, caroline, Shijin13 and 3 others like this.
  3. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

I think these are fair questions. Specifically, there seems to normally be a strong seasonal variation in mammalian T3 levels. This is not necessarily pathological, despite what the paleo world seems to think. It seems to be part of seasonal mammalian design... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4064697/

I don't think it's all that easy to figure out how thyroid hormone should be "replaced," especially in view of chronobiology and ketosis, living in the altered field of the modern world. I hope that Jack re-addresses this issue in more detail because it's an enormous issue...

caroline, Alex97232, Shijin13 and 2 others like this.
  4. Greenisland

Greenisland New Member

I am wondering about it as I know with my low thyroid I move more slowly, rest and relax a lot compared to my high energy burn out husband that is aging much faster than I am. More anecdotal curiosity: My grandmother had lots of thyroid symptoms. She used to board horses and called herself "an easy keeper", meaning, a horse that you don't have to feed very much. We used to blame her for giving us the "fat" gene. She lived a lifestyle of calorie restriction and was a lifelong Weight Watchers member. She looked great into her 80s and lived to 100.

Lava, Alex97232 and Shijin13 like this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Well I went on a bender this AM in the circadian biohackers site about this very issue because it sets the tone for the next blog. MS.

Alex97232 and NeilBB like this.
  6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yes you did. It was beautiful... @NeilBB you need to catch up over on the CBH FB group...

NeilBB likes this.
  7. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

I just read it. It's clear that hormones are an intermediary between the field/environment and your own physiology AND that it's dangerous to exogenously mess with them. That has been clear for a while.

But Jack, you have in the past recommended optimizing certain hormones to upper 25% of range using bio-identicals. I think that's what's confusing people, myself included. So would you say that there still is a short-term role for bio-identical optimization of hormones like T3 as other environmental parameters are being adjusted? Or is it always dangerous? What about people who no longer have a functional thyroid at all? What should they do?

Alex97232, JanSz and Shijin13 like this.
  8. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

And regarding the thymus, can you explain why we see the opposite of involution, in fact, we see hyperplasia (and sometimes neoplasia) of the thymus in another common autoimmune disease, myasthenia gravis?

Alex97232 and Josh (Paleo Osteo) like this.
  9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

@NeilBB my thoughts are is it depends on the specifics of the individual and their zipcode. Jack has said that supplementation of D in the winter isn't a good thing, for most people. Yet he's told me that due to where I live, and what I do and based upon my hormones - I need year round supplementation of D.

I think this topic is relevant to what happened to me last winter with my thyroid even though I was in ketosis. hypo- symptoms, with hyper labs. I felt like crap, couldn't handle CT very well, gained 30lbs. my labs were so-so. I know in the past Jack has said that we evolved to have low T3 levels across the circadian cycles. So intuitively that tells me even though we've cranked my thyroid meds year round - I might need to cycle them across the seasons. I'm considering testing this theory this fall/winter and see how that goes...

I would think Thyroid stress would be greatest during Summer - longer light cycles, more carbs - hence the upregulation of T3. where as in the winter it would down regulate, as a result of the Vitamin A cycle. so too much exogenous T4/T3 during winter will cascade the extra into rT3, even when in Ketosis thus causing electron loss and inefficient operation of mitochondria and the system.

who know's if I'm on or off on this... this is what my intuition is telling me based upon what Jack's been teaching us. who knows if I'm right or if I'm wrong.

Alex97232 and NeilBB like this.
  10. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Yeah, I think you are right. Messing with hormones is very problematic because the targets are always moving, with the environment and with the seasons. But I think sometimes the benefits of replacement outweigh the risks for certain people in certain situations. The trouble is, the conventional and functional medicine approach don't take all these variables into account. I would just like to see Jack address it further, maybe not from the standpoint of "historically optimal" as much as from the standpoint of incremental medical fine-tuning in a non-optimal world.

I, myself, have used oral Vitamin D as well as tanning beds in the winter in the past. I always seemed to benefit from it... But I think it must confuse chronobiology and prevent full cold adaptation. So I am considering abandoning it this winter...

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

We take small steps to achieve lasting success. I think its possible to replace Vitamin D and tanning beds if you leverage other forms of IR (fire, IR saunas) in conjunction with CT. @cantweight was applying this last winter with success IIRC.

So the question becomes, how do you make those minute changes at the quantum level by changing supplementation to generate large quantum changes across the system?

I'm interested to see how the MS blog plays a roll into this - b/c mitochondria is where this all happens. So how does DHA and electron conduction change when you down regulate thyroid, increase cold, and leverage circadian hormonal patterns across the seasonal circadian cycles? I think this is where Jack is going with live like a polar bear and eat like a great white.

Alex97232 likes this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It wont when you get the whole pic............

Alex97232 likes this.
  13. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I thought the same about D and tanning over winter....abandoning them backfired for me. I dont think our bodies are equipped to handle true winter devoid of these "helpers"....our environments do not allow for it.

Alex97232, Shijin13 and NeilBB like this.
  14. kovita

kovita Gold

this is a great topic. I see most of the important questions have been layed out already. I just looked into my health records and there is a clear trend in TSH (do not have the other parametres since i have not been periodacally tested for them): it is higher in the winter and lower in the summer. Ketotic winter made the winter value even much higher. Interesting enough, the yeasr i have lived in subtropics and tropics, the values are pretty constant. Since I moderated my carbs income, even the summer values are now higher than it used to be in the past.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I Posted this on the CBFB thread in response to something @cantweight wrote.... and it fits right in here (especially for those who don't use FB)

INORITE Christi. Godsmacked this morning courtesy of Jack! BHRT has its place - and I effing love it for how in combo with DHA have helped me change my migraines. but wow - how does the body respond to the Native EMF signals (when they're not over written by nnEMF) within proper circadian cycles to regulate what nature intended when you've flooded it incorrectly with too much supplementation... BOOM!

caroline and Alex97232 like this.
  16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Im going to keep saying it.................[​IMG] Until you really understand what I am saying. QED..............I'm going to drag you to my scale.

caroline, Alex97232 and Shijin13 like this.
  17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

and THIS is why both Chaos and Havoc have issues. I screwed with circadian cycles and epigenetically changes how my mitochondria function.... BOOM. now my kids are dealing with my ignorance of youth

18. Jude

Jude Gold

Must be blind..can't see that thread on Circ biohackers.....a link to the post please anyone?
    .forget it...found it:)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Shijin13 likes this.
  19. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I like to take the blame off myself assume my kids are feeling the effect of the massive Panasonic microwave that invaded our kitchen in the 80's..lol It was so big! and my mom was obsessed with microwave cooking....yikes!

Alex97232 and Shijin13 like this.
  20. caroline

caroline Moderator

I can't really add much ..... but - my thyroid labs aren't great - even my Doc thinks I should go on something ....but I feel so terrific - it doesn't make sense - right now anyway.

Alex97232 likes this.