1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Could it be the seaweed?

Discussion in 'Optimal Reset 2013' started by Jasmin, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Hope

Hope Gold

Jasmin......the blog with all the different benefits of seaweed in the Epi-paleo Rx, BG6: http://www.jackkruse.com/brain-gut-6-epi-paleo-rx/

2. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I got the seaweed caps, Kelp and Bladderwrack, at Mountain Rose Herbs. Also all the other seaweeds. Not all are available as caps. The info on which seaweeds to get was in Epi-Paleo Rx blog.

3. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I also have Dulse flakes, which I found at the supermarket. I add those to water and just drink it down. I was hoping to get more creative with the other seaweeds. Also, 5g of seaweed per day doesn't seem like a lot, if that's indeed the maximum per day.

4. Inger

Inger Silver

:)

Jasmin I said west coast because I was thinking I would choose the Atlantic rather than the Baltic Sea side of Denmark for picking the seaweeds.. Baltic Sea is quite a polluted sea.
    Check for a place with clean coast area too, not by a city or so.. if you have a choice.

5. Jasmin

Jasmin New Member

6. Jasmin

Jasmin New Member

Then I will stick with buying my seaweed because it is the Baltic Sea I have access to...
    Inger du you filtrate your water? and if you do what kind of filter do you use?

7. Inger

Inger Silver

No Jasmin, I do not filter my water because we have our own well here, it comes from 30 meter deep. It is not a well that flows up from the ground itself, which would be the best.. but it gets pumped up with a pump. It is not filtered though and nothing added either, and it tastes great! I take care to always let the water flow quite a bit before I fill my glass jugs for the day. I want it fresh from the earth, not water that have been stuck in the tubes for long.

I just realized the water gets a way stronger "taste of sun" when it put it outside in a glass bowl instead of a jug!!! way different! I bet it is because it has a large surface to suck up the sunbeams directly, not through a glass... told me something about glass isolating pretty well..... from the goodness of the sun.. wow it really was a difference! So I need to buy some more big glass bowls like this...

[​IMG]

About seaweeds.
    I made some Dulce seaweed water the other day first time ever.. Dulce is very high Iodine. I realized yesterday I have a weird bump on my one finger... I assume it is from a bit too much Iodine? I got me some Brazil nuts.. and ate a handful yesterday after work..lol I will drink some saltwater today too. I think it is possible to get detox with seaweeds too, without doubt! It is good to check the Iodine content of the different brands because it varies huge. It could be a issue if one is drinking much from the high Iodine ones...

Jasmin, if no possibility to buy seaweeds from cleaner sources I do think also Baltic Sea seaweeds could be healthy, but I would do that only if no other option. But I bet it is better that nothing! I do eat fish from Baltic Sea too once in a while... I do try to limit it though.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. Jasmin

Jasmin New Member

Inger you are so lucky that you have your own well :) and I wil try to let my water bathe in the sun and see if I can taste any difference and the glass bowl look just great.

I think that you are right that we should be aware of too much iodine - I have to find out how much the brands I am using contain. I have just received my seaweed at see that it is from Brittany´s Atlantic Coast....I hope that it is a good place?

9. Inger

Inger Silver

I think it is fine Jasmin! I get mine from France and I think Europe is quite safe. The best me thinks would be from Iceland or such.. they are selling wild harvested seaweeds online too but they are so expensive....
    Kelp has very high Iodine.. I guess Nori too and Dulce.. it also depends on where they grow. But your body will tell you sooner or later so just listen to it and adjust as needed, that is how I do and it works great. :)

Cool, you really have to try the glassbowl-sunwater.. I just had a couple of glasses again of it and I can say it tastes so strongly of sun it is amazing..!

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Inger, you can taste the sun in your water? Amazing.
    Yes, I imagine a water pump would disturb the water.

I got a small bump on my finger, from accidentally drinking iodine water (Lugols) that I thought was regular water. I drank way more than I normally would. The next day I got the bump. That was a few months ago. I still have it, even though now I can drink about the same amount of iodine water I accidentally ingested that day, with no bad effects.

The bump hurts, if I press on it or bump it. I think it might be bromide. Wish I knew how to get rid of it. I would guess that you are overdoing the seaweed water.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. Hope

Hope Gold

Inger,

that is so so cool that you can taste the sun/a different taste after sun exposure. It sure makes sense. Have you heard of St Leonhard's, a well water that they have different types of water, including some they specifically only bottle on the days of full moon, some only during the sun etc....it's not cheap but it's the most amazing tasting water I've ever had (some bottled water, even in a glass, tastes awful to me and my body says no!).....here is the website:

http://www.st-leonhards-quelle.de/ha_Wasser.html?current_mp=6

Wonder if you can taste a difference on the days you bottle your water on full moon :)

12. Inger

Inger Silver

Nonchalant,
    yes it must be the same bump we have...! lol Mine does not really hurt though.. it is a bit soft and a bit red.. a bit weird.. I am going to cut back a bit on the seaweed water now, funny it took so long to get the bump! It is on my small finger on the right hand. Where is yours? Now to hope it goes away.. ha! I was sprinkling a little unrefined sea salt in my sun water yesterday.. and eating some brazil nuts too.. maybe it helps!
    I am sure the bump will disappear when comes summer. :)

Hope,
    when I lived in Hamburg I always drank the St Leonards water! I loved it! Here you cannot get that anywhere... The only thing they have that are quite ok is Pellegrino. But I know about a well that comes naturally up to the earth a bit from here, I just need a car to go there. When I have my license I will go and pick up my water from there, it is all for free!

I need to try the full moon thing! Wow... I'll put a wide glass bowl out in the full moon all night long when not too cold outside and then I will report how it tasted. So much exiting stuff to try..huh! :)

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Interesting, Inger! We are twins!
    Mine is on the small finger of my right hand also. And it is a bit red.
    I sure hope you can discover some remedy. I have had mine for 4 months maybe?

14. Hope

Hope Gold

Hey that is awesome you know about it :) How neat you have a real well not far from you....I'll bet that will be amazing!

15. Jasmin

Jasmin New Member

I have found the iodine level in different types of seaweed:
    In 100 gram there is:
    Nori = 5 mg
    Wakame = 15 mg
    Dulse = 20 mg
    Arame = 60 mg
    Combu =340 mg (I know this level looks like it is a joke:) )

The level can be different from season and where it is harvested.

I dont know what to listen for if I am getting too much iodine - do you know the signs?

I know that some warn against iodine if one has truble with the metabolism but I havent found out why yet. But if Jack says that seaweed can get me off the medicine then I believe him :)

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

You might want to read the Iodine Thread in this forum.
    The biggest early signs for me was a tight throat, like having gentle pressure on the front of my throat, and headache.
    Though I'm wondering now if the headache I used to get was actually dehydration.

http://jackkruse.com/forum/showthread.php?943-The-iodine-Thread!!!

17. When I get too much iodine I break out in a horrible rash. But now I'm also wondering if I was just having a bromide flush. I had a rash on my back for 7 months that was awful. It was oozing and I thought I had a hot tub rash. It may have started out that way but back then I was taking about 50mg of iodine/day. At the time I thought the hot tub rash just kept on perpetuating but now looking back I'm pretty sure it was just excess iodine pushing out the bromide. I never want to go there again!

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Sounds like a bromoderma, Patty Cakes. I got one from ingesting about 3mg iodine in one dose. It went away in about a month.

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I eat a LOT of sea veggies daily and have often wondered how I would know if I was overdoing it. So far I haven't experienced any symptoms at all that I'm aware of and I can't even really say that I've seen any benefits from it either. My free T3 has finally increased a bit on labs, but I'm also now taking T3 so I would imagine that has more to do with it than my sea veg/seafood intake.

20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I had my iodine level tested, because of my issues. I tested as "severely deficient". I am guessing that the deficiency is what made me so sensitive to iodine, and also why I have so much bromine in me. Probably fluoride as well. But with a lot of patience, I'm getting much less sensitive to my slowly increasing amount of supplemental iodine.