1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cost of oysters

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Aussie Nana, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

How much does it cost for oysters and other shell fish where you live?

Here in Western Australia the cheapest oysters I've been able to find has been $12 a dozen, some of which are very small. Usual price is $14.85 and more. Scallops are about $30 a kilo ($13.60 a pound). Mussels are as cheap as $12.80 a kilo ($5.80/lb) but usually more like $18 a kilo ($8.20/lb). This is not a complaint, but I do wonder how people manage to afford to eat oysters as a dozen oysters is only half the quantity weightwise as mussels and I eat a dozen of those at breakfast.

2. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

$12 a dozen for oysters is cheap for here (New Zealand). There are some who farm them and sell them online (next day shipping) but otherwise they are usually closer to $20/dozen for me. I buy the tinned smoked ones and rinse/drain them repeatedly -that's how I afford them. Scallops are a rare treat. Prawns/shrimp are a bit less expensive, so I'll buy a frozen bag and have a few at a time. I eat more fish than I'd like (I prefer shellfish by far) but it's way better than not eating seafood... I go to the local fish market (I assume Perth has one?) and buy whatever is fresh and on special! (Also, you can often find whole squid for pretty cheap - today at my fish market it was $8/kg - and I've learned to clean one and eat it. Easy. Good luck!

3. diane

diane Gold

I can find oysters for about $13/dozen or so (in Canada). I don't get them often, and LIke KiwiLauren, I get smoked oysters and mussels as well. Sardines are cheap as well. Mussels are cheap here - I can get a dozen for about $3. I buy frozen scallops and shrimp - and a package is $7 or $8 (which will be 2-3 meals). I also eat fish, but don't get to the fish market as much as I would like!

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

35 cents a piece

5. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

$1.75 a piece ... yet another excuse ... I mean REASON ... not to slurp the slimy things.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

5 for $2 at the international market... DH asked for oyster shucking gloves and knife for his b-day....he got them... b/c well I. WANT. MORE. OYSTERS

7. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I usually pay $9-12 per dozen at Whole Foods and have them shuck them for me, but my local grocery store has them for $3 a dozen starting today!! I just ordered a shucking contraption thing on amazon earlier in the week, so fingers crossed it arrives today so I can have an oyster feast for the next week [​IMG]

8. Inger

Inger Silver

I pay 2 € (2,60 dollar?) for one oyster. Some shops they are more expensive, 2,50 € for one.
    I order 12 pieces every Friday, oysters from Bretagne, France. Yes it is expensive but it is my medicin.[​IMG]
    And I love the taste too for sure... fresh shucked by me with a few drops of fresh lime.. yum!
    Some week I might not get any.. but in any way I will have more than one/day in average.. 365 oysters in a year. Is a must.[​IMG]

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

In the next update of the cookbook there is a pic of my schucking......no gloves. I go for the free flow of electrons from the oysters.

10. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

You all are making me feel like a big baby. bother.

OK OK OK I guess I'll go buy a few ... DH will swallow them if I can't work up the nerve.

11. Inger

Inger Silver

I never use gloves either, just my hands and the shucker knife.. sometime a cotton towel. Las week I cut me though. But I do not care too much as my wounds heal so fast.

Darleen.. you will love them soon enough!!! I promise! Just try them a couple of times even if they are not your favorit. That is how it went for me at least! Drop some fresh lime juice on the top! And eat them ice cold.[​IMG]

Don't give them to your hubby for gods sake! He eats crap and do not deserve this gold... you do![​IMG]

12. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Darleen,

I was terrified to try them! (I'm still wimping out over the MHS too) My first step was to try them cooked and honestly - I HATED them! Swore I'd never eat another ever. I ended up at Whole Foods one day and they were doing a shucking demonstration. I listened to all these people talk about how great they were, yada, yada, yada . . . and finally broke down and said I'd give them one more try. I figured maybe the ones I had before were just bad.

They shucked a dozen for me and I brought them home for dinner figuring DH would eat 11 and I'd force 1 down (DH loves oysters anyway he can get them - he desperately misses my mom's oyster stuffing at holidays!). I think in the end DH got 3 or 4 of them [​IMG] Now I find myself craving them, but ONLY on the half shell. I'll never do cooked again.

Give them a try . . . what do you have to lose?!

13. Inger

Inger Silver

I would not EVER cook a oyster. A very bad sin in my world.[​IMG] I never buy cooked either. To me their beautiful life force disappears when cooked. Too sad.
    I bet they do not taste that good cooked either. In any restaurant I have worked as a waitress in Europe oysters were never cooked, ever!

14. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Do your bars and taverns have "happy hour"? Here in Maryland, bars that serve seafood often have Happy Hour specials from 4-7 pm. Many have oysters for .50-$1 each, bowls of mussels for $6, steamed shrimps for 1/2 price. Good deal!

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

oh yes we do...unfortunately I don't get home from work unitl 5....dh at 6 and we have to pick up Chaos and Havoc some where in that time frame

16. endless

endless New Member

Oysters are $1 each here....sometimes very small. If I could get them for 35 cents each I'd eat them every day!

17. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

OK you guys are absolutely shaming me into trying them. I'll go to Sackett's tomorrow to see if they have any more in.

18. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Totally jealous here. When you live in the middle of Amish country, you have to drive a good distance just to find a decent bar or tavern . . . I keep telling DH we really need to move closer to the ocean, but I think for now I'll have to just keep dreaming!

19. RayB

RayB New Member

$42.00/gallon (5# of meat) shucked

20. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

RayB, how lucky to get them by the gallon. Back in my childhood we could by them by the pint and half pint. I think a dozen oysters here would be about 200g for $12. I must weigh them when I buy my next lot.