1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cortisol

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nonchalant, Feb 4, 2015.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think its about time for me to reread CT7 again, my most-read JK blog.
    Because melatonin is a nightime-only hormone, and is the opposite of cortisol, in some respects, cortisol really has to be a daytime thing. And I think I remember that a cortisol peak is necessary for some other hormones, and probably other bodily/cellular processes.

So we can do it the JK way, get our AM sunshine, and peak that baby first thing in the morning, and reap the benefits of the cortisol spike then and throughout the day. Or we can do it the way we used to, avoiding sunshine but drinking plenty of coffee/soda/chocolate? Or perhaps we rely on stress at work to do it for us? Procrastinating until a looming deadline spikes cortisol and we get the satisfaction of a job completed (and perhaps the creation of more hormones?) How about getting angry with someone? Surely that would do the trick. Maybe I understand bar fights better now. ;-)

If we don't peak cortisol somehow, it will continue to rob energy from our collagen until it gets enough to peak itself. Just before noon, iirc. Well, maybe for someone with enough energy stored. What about the rest of us? Does cortisol not get enough energy to peak by itself? Do we need malicious gossip instead? Road rage maybe? Do we need to be a troll to get our fix? Someone out there, somewhere, is WRONG on the internet!

Maybe that's why outdoor occupations (farming, fishing, construction) have some of the highest ratings for satisfaction. They get their fix naturally, and don't need to get in someone's face to feel better.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

3. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

nonchalant,

I love your diagram! I showed it to my DH today and I think he finally got a tiny bit of an idea why sleep that doesn't include the "magic" window isn't as good.;):)

Now it makes me want to know how this diagram might be different at the solstices. And what about in the cold-adapted? :D

4. lol this is awesome

5. you said it all here i reckon

6. my question re: light box

if one is consistently up in dark hours to work early, is it best to try and use the light box then? even if you are to leave the house and go via darkness to work...
    or somewhere in between...
    i think we should be matching daylight hours as much as possible and not creating new rhythms outside of that...

has anyone used one?

7. nicld

nicld Gold

^^^^ Good question. I have a light box and during the week use it while getting ready for work and I have to leave the house just as it is starting to get light out. I have thought about getting a smaller one for when I am at work. As much as I would like to be more matched, I have to somewhat "conform" to modern life. On the weekends when it is too cold to sit outside for very long I use it after 8 am when it is light out.

Josh (Paleo Osteo) likes this.
  8. BTA

BTA New Member

I have - the one I bought was only sold via a Doctor's Office - not the cheapo units you find online. I did saliva adrenal ASI testing before using a light box & after using a light box. My melatonin levels were so high in the A.M. hours it was off the chart :confused: after using the light box my cortisol & melatonin are right in line to normal. Where I live the sun doesn't even come up til around 9 am & then factor in rain/clouds ect - there may not be any bright sunlight until after 11 am. It's nearly impossible to extremely bright sunlight at 6 am.

Josh (Paleo Osteo) and nicld like this.
  9. i am quite sure i have heard you talk on one of the Q and As about this...what i didnt take from that was at what time you used it, and what was the initial mismatch?

10. BTA

BTA New Member

I use the light box the exact second I wake up - my eyes open and I've got the light box next to the bed. A bit rough to wake up to staring at it but it's worth it. I use it for 40 minutes. My "before use" melatonin level at 10 am was higher than my 10 pm level :confused: I was shocked to see that. After about a month of daily use I retested my melatonin level. Now it was perfect. Just right in the am and raises at night like it should. I feel better & sleep like a rock. Best $100 I've ever spent.

11. thanks mate, what is approx time of waking?

12. BTA

BTA New Member

I try to be consistant but sometimes I sleep in a bit. I shoot for 6 am.

13. cool, anyone else have any experience with brands etc?
    @BTA can you confirm the light, full spectrum, white, etc?

14. Inger

Inger Silver

That is very cool :)

15. nicld

nicld Gold

seanb4 likes this.
  16. BTA

BTA New Member

There's only one Brand that's backed by scientific studies to be effective. 99% of the light boxes for sale aren't medical grade with the right light freq. Buyer beware. I can't find the exact specs on wave light freq. ect... but this is from their website:

goLITE BLU energy light produces a particular kind of pure blue light that occurs naturally on very sunny, clear days. Special receptors in the eyes absorb this blue light which makes you feel energetic whenever you need it.

Product Website:
    http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/HF3332_60/golite-blu-energy-light/overview

17. cool thats the one @Josh posted somewhere

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I asked Jack about what the hormone cycles for a cold-adapted person would be, but I imagined his response was a big grin. He didn't reply. I've been waiting, patiently, for some idea from him. Well, sorta.

With cold adaptation, perhaps we wouldn't have to ration our hormones so strictly?

Away from the equinox, Jack said in the blog that in long-light cycles, VIP wakes us up.

19. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

I think CT 6 The Ancient Pathway has the massive breadcrumbs ... But what I'm suddenly wondering is, I CT in very cold water so was thinking I'm cold adapted, but its not going to be the same signalling being adapted to spend time in cold water (acutely) and/or living in the ancient pathway chronically. I can see from the diagram that I'm still yoked to the light cycle, and why morning CT feels soooooo much nicer than pm.

nicld likes this.
  20. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

Was thinking of buying some of these globes as available in Australia - thought you might be interested Paleo Josh - http://www.naturallight.com.au