1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Corneal Neuropsin and Eye surgery

Discussion in 'Educating Doctors' started by Jay Montgomery, May 23, 2019.

1. Jay Montgomery

Jay Montgomery New Member

From what I understand Neuropsin has currently been found in the mammalian cornea, Retina and skin. From this article 2015, https://www.pnas.org/content/112/42/13093.long it has been identified in the ipRGC’s and the “cornea”. My question is do we have any further clarifications on the cells in the cornea that harbor Neuropsin. I think this is a critical question as it relates to corneal procedures like LASIK, PRK, PKP’s (full thickness corneal transplants), and EK’s (endothelial or lamellar keratoplasites). While it would seem nature designed us to have redundancy in these photoreceptors for photoentraimment, how would disruption in this system from corneal surgery, or retinal injury/surgery for that matter, disrupt this photoentrainment in those individuals. Is there enough redundancy to allow the individual to function and photoentrainment to occur normally, would these individuals require a drastic change in environment after said procedures (of course depending on their personal context), and does a simple Refractive procedure like myopic Lasik which removes a small amount of corneal stroma (ie: collagen and keratocytes) be enough to disrupt this system? To me the answer to that last question depends on the cellular layer in the cornea that harbors the Neuropsin (epithelium-ectoderm derived, keratocytes-mesenchyme derived, corneal nerves (branches of the Trigeminal) - neuroectoderm derived, or the endothelium-neural crest derived. Anyway, just some thoughts I’ve had as it relates to my field.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    lev0phedMD and Ed Pomicter like this.
  2. lev0phedMD

lev0phedMD New Member

Did you ever find the answer? I briefly searched the references on the paper you linked and didn't find anything.

3. Jay Montgomery

Jay Montgomery New Member

I have not found it. I was hoping someone may have come across the answer. It may have not been determined yet.

4. DockMD

DockMD That’s the reason why

5. DockMD

DockMD That’s the reason why

Q&A Jan 2016 1hr18min Lasik discussion, mentions at 1:23 that sometimes Lasik can actually improve the eye clock, but doesn’t elaborate.