1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Contraindications for CT?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Guest, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Are there any medical conditions for which CT wouldn't be a good idea (and maybe would be a bad idea)? I just don't want to go around recommending it willy-nilly without carefully considering the potential complications it may cause.

2. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I think that if someone has a bad heart condition, they would want to go very slowly with it and monitor their situation.

In many traditional cultures, very cold water is contraindicated during menstruation, though I've found that ice packs and a cool sitz bath worked miracles for me on the first day of my period- what little cramps I did have (which were greatly lessened by CT leading up to the period) totally vanished!!

In the case of Raynaud's, I think I'd leave the hands and feet out of the water at first and then proceed slowly. Or, hot/cold (ending on brief cold) alternating showers could be a good way to go, as that method is great for vascular and circulation issues. It's really helped a congenital vascular issue that I have in one of my legs.

My own personal recommendations: don't CT on a totally empty stomach as it lowers blood glucose and don't CT on days when you're abnormally tired and have an intuitive aversion to it (I've found that warming up is much harder when I'm really tired/have slept poorly).

Hope this helps!

3. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Hazyjane's recommendations are great, and right in line with all the precautions Dr. Kruse mentioned in the protocol blog. I now he mentions heart conditions, high O6, Raynaud's, & empty stomachs as reasons for extra cautions and/or not doing it. Also, alcohol.

I especially agree with going with your gut.

Given your past posts ... know that all honest inquiries are welcome!

4. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Hi Apow,

I don't know the answer to your original question but I hope you get a really good one.

Good advice ladies. I skipped CT today for exactly that reason, I felt my performance has been decreasing and any chronic stress is something I'd consider bad. Listen to science, but listen to your body too.

jesse

5. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

+1000 to both of these

I've been going easy on CT this week, just doing Spot -CT bc my body appears to be going through a detox or something and I feel super tired/run down...don't want to exasperate anything.

6. agatha

agatha New Member

I would like to know whether CT is contraindicated if you have a fever - anyone?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I appreciate your reply, MamaGrok. But please know that all of my posts on here have been honest, even if you may not have agreed with them.

8. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

YES. I would definitely say *yes*. Fever is your body's way of calling up its heavier immune defenses. Lowering fevers (unless they're dangerously high) will only interfere with it, at least in the first day or so, whether it's done pharmaceutically or with CT.

9. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

They have all seemed honest to this point, but I hope you can't fault me for wondering if your inquiry is a legitimate one, for you to be sure and advise others safely in CT, or if you are trying to test whether Kruse's instructions have really led to safe following. Even the latter isn't an abominable ruse, but full honesty is much more appreciated, as I'm sure you can understand.

On fever - I can't imagine CT'ing with a fever ... except maybe in the sweating part after all the freezing part was done (my fevers always left me freezing for a long time, then sweating for a short time). I'd look for info on it and go with the combination of that and instinct if I faced that situation.

10. agatha

agatha New Member

I would guess 'yes' too Meyoolia. But Jack wrote that his family do CGT when they're sick. It would be interesting to hear experiences if anyone has done this.

11. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

did Jack say what sort of "sick" they were? A head cold's different, certainly, than a high-fever flu.....

12. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

Fever is the body's way of killing off a virus, so I wouldn't interfere unless it gets very high and stays very high. There are even fever-inducing methods for colds and flus.

I'm always horrified at how a lot of my friends reach for the Children's Tylenol the second their kid's temp spikes to 100º.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd also worry about someone with diabetic neuropathy sitting in a cold tub for any significant length of time. There are also some skin conditions (e.g., psoriasis, eczema) that are aggravated by prolonged exposure to water. In a perfect world, a primal/paleo diet would have cleared those skin problems up, but I know people for whom diet has had no effect.

14. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I've always heard (among the wise mamas at MDC) that the eczema/water problem is more overuse of soap and/or chlorinated water. A good caveat if that becomes a problem. My husband had eczema and never had trouble with any type of water.

Eczema is one of the hardest problems to treat; it seems to stem from some very complicated toxifying crap going on (bloating is another). For some, getting processed food out is enough. Some need wheat out. Some need dairy out. Some need GAPS. Some still have it at that point and need to keep treading water until it goes. Some need more. Some need supplements, liver support, etc. It's complex ,no doubt.

For dh, we don't know for sure what did it, but after yearsof having it and five years of cleaning up our diets, it's finally gone. Except for that one CT - the only time water has ever triggered it - and no repeats since then. Purged out.

I wouldn't worry about neuropathy per se. As with most conditions, I think it would be a problem if not done under all the correct precautions - slowly, progressively, always checking skin & confusion (need spotter for any situation of potential concern) & core temp & especially peripheral skin, etc. It is really important to take proper precautions with this as with any treatment (standard or non) - after all, every diabetic I've known to lose a digit or limb or come close was 100% following the ADA rec's given by their doctors and look where that got them.

15. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I also suspect that chlorine is a major factor for skin issues. We have very chlorinated water in Nashville and when I go back home to MI, I'm always surprised at how my skin and complexion immediately improves in the water up there, which has a lot less chlorine (at least it doesn't reek of chlorine like it does here!)

I don't have any skin "conditions", but the chlorine dehydrates my skin and makes my face feel a bit rough. That has improved a LOT since CT, though.

16. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I thought there was more I put in my earlier response, but apparently it didn't take or something.

I don't know much about the difference in the circulation in, say, a diabetic w neuropathy vs. someone with autoimmune Raynaud's. I do know that everyone, but especially those with circulation issues, should cover hands & head, not immerse them, and if circ issues, most definitely cover the feet and avoid immersion (or use neoprene), as well. I don't know how far a diabetic's neuropathy can extend up a limb, but the further it has progressed, obviously the further it seems one would consider protecting the limb.

The idea is that the CT increases core temp, which ultimately, since (at least in the experience of many of us here) leaves us operating more thermo-efficiently over the day, even while not ccold, that ultimately, CT would improve circulation in the extremities.

That is my experience, as well.

That said, as always, anyone with special conditions should learn carefully, consult a knowledgeable medical professional, and get all the information necessary before proceeding cautiously, slowly, ,gently, and always checking oneself, but also having a spotter nearby if there is any chance the condition could increase the possibility of hypothermia or being unable to remove oneself from the bath, and always having a spotter when intensifying any variable in the process.

These are my thoughts based on what Dr. Kruse has said and on my own limited knowledge of, and experience with, these conditions. I am not a medical professional!

17. Birdy

Birdy New Member

I was a bit leery of CT for my injured foot. I have non-diabetic peripheral neuropathy due to an injury. I had been doing CT for the infection, but always with both feet so I could use the good foot to tell when I had had enough. My doc said my circulation was fantastic and to continue with ct. He is from a part of the world where using hot and cold water for healing is quite common.