1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Concerns about coconut oil and DHT

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by QiGuy1997, Nov 14, 2013.

1. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

I understand that coconut oil is a very healthy substance with it's saturated fats, ketogenic properties and antimicrobial properties. I'm really interested in beginning to get a couple of tablespoons of it throughout the day, however, I have a concern. The only thing keeping me from consuming any is a study I read a while back discussing the inhibitory properties of lauric acid (from coconut oil) on 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that turns testosterone into the more active Dihydrotestosterone. I'm 16 so I know my hormonal system is quite different from the majority of the people on this forum. I don't want to mess with my hormonal levels at this age as I'm concerned about permanent effects resulting from hormonal imbalances. I'm hesitant to consume a substance which may lower my dht levels. Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic? Will taking coconut oil decrease the dht by a significant amount, or do the positive effects outweigh the slight hormonal effects? Thanks!

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Welcome to the forum QiGuy..... what an interesting question from a 16 year old - I hope some one has some thoughts for you.....

3. tellmisty

tellmisty Administrator

This is a question for Ask Jack! Are you a Silver or Gold Klub member, Qiguy?

4. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

Interesting if this is a valid concern. Seems like people in the coconut-eating tropics would be affected. I have not hear of such an issue.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Yes, interesting. Does anyone know what time of year this experiment was run?

6. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

7. Melanie Procter

Melanie Procter New Member

U may grow up to be a Jack Kruse someday. R u interested in medicine?