1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

COMT gene mutation, dopamine, and CT.

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by MattD1995, Feb 22, 2019.

1. MattD1995

MattD1995 Gold

I finally have a clue as to why CT has been causing me so much paranoia. I had genetic testing done and found out I have a gene called COMT that causes my brain to break down dopamine much slower than the average person. CT raises dopamine and norepinephrine tremendously. I'm trying to figure out how to move forward based on this knowledge. I know that CT is essential for healing, but the elevated dopamine/norepinephrine has really been messing with my mind. Any thoughts?

2. Loretta

Loretta New Member

I am also COMT v158m ++ and have not noticed any negative effects. There is definitely an increase in dopamine which is better than impulsive behaviors for the increase. How are you doing?

3. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

I feel like the answer is always- "get more sun". Things can get really complicated, but the bottom lines are easy. Basically you need to turn off expression of that gene if it even is being expressed right? How do we foster that? Sun, water, magnetism... maybe back off on CT until you can increase sun or only do CT IN the sun?

Stephen W and drezy like this.
  4. drezy

drezy New Member

Don't forget the "light you let in your life" also hints toward emf too. If you've got high population density and see 12 neighbors routers who knows what that gene will be experiencing. Not what people want to hear, I know...

LieselK likes this.
  5. Nardia

Nardia New Member

MattD1995 I, like many others have the same gene mutation. CT hasn't caused this problem for me either but we are all individuals and there may be something else involved in what you are experiencing. Do you take magnesium L-Threonate? I have found this helpful as it is able to cross the BBB :)

6. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

I’m COMT V158M +/+ and COMT H62H +/+ and my biggest issue was trying to get used to the cold. The adrenaline hit is actually very welcome to me and all my major troubles disappear (nasal stuffiness) when I get an adrenaline kick.
    So these gene things seem a bit backwards between me and you even though we share the same.
    @LieselK you are right regarding sun I believe. I gave up CT for a few weeks because I just could not tolerate the cold baths, constant shivering. During the last month I got as much sun as possible, at least 15000 IU every day (using vitamin D app ‘Dminder’) and I’ve since returned to CT and am amazed at how much better my cold intolerance has become!
    So maybe it was the sun. I just done 5 min at 4.5°C and love it very minimal shivering after. Where as I would have shivered for 2 hours previously.

LieselK likes this.
  7. MattD1995

MattD1995 Gold

Thank ya’ll for all the responses! Sorry I’m just seeing this.

I did some more reading on CT. I saw Jack recommends supplementation of betaine HCL, B12, and B6 when starting CT. I was curious as to why, so I dug deeper into the comments on one of his CT articles. Turns out the body can be dumping estrogen during the initial stages of CT. I guess that could explain my awful mood swings. I’ll be making another go at it using the recommended supplements this time + more sub exposure since spring is here!

8. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

Just keep making sure you get that sunshine- morning, noon and night... because it alllll comes back to that. Supplements may work short term, but it's never ideal. I'd make sure you are getting your HCL, B12 and B6 naturally first and foremost.

9. I think you are too young to need betaine hcl. I believe it is to raise the level of stomach acid as your body gets old and slacks off. To use the medical term.

10. malc0088

malc0088 4th dimension

I have the same mutation and have had periods of time when i couldn't tolerate CT...until I stopped CTing indoors and took my tub out into the back yard under direct sunlight. Now, i CT in direct sunlight, get out and warm up in the sun, get back into the tub and cool down, etc....I even CT in the evening at dusk and start up our fire pit and use the IR light from the fire pit to warm myself up after a cold CT session. These experiences are better than any meditation experience i've ever had...pure bliss. Best sleep, best libido, etc. I do find that I need to rotate through the 3 legged stool and if i overdo one aspect it doesn't seem to be as blissful.