1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Come CT with me for 30 days. Start Monday April 9th.

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Glamazon, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

This will be my first time starting tomorrow with face dunks for 2 weeks.

I aim to go slow and stick with the protocol.

I am not an athlete although I had started cross fitting and loved heavy lifting. I gave up my membership so I can participate in Dr. K's elite program. I have way more than 30 pounds hanging on me. More like a 100. Have some high BP that is managed by Lisinopril, some sciatica, generalized aches, probably PCOs (estrogen dominance by appearance and other symptoms), low vit D and chronic anemia problems. I may have a severed vagus nerve due to some surgery I had in 2001.

Don't have any hormone labs done but I had general labs done in January. My HDL/LDL are way below Kruse optimum. Waiting on my Telomere test to be delivered. Had it drawn one week after I started the Leptin Reset on 2/21/12.

I have lost almost 15 pounds since them. I am 54 and haven't had my TOM in two years but never had any menopausal symptoms other than maybe low energy.

Who wants to do it with me? This can be your first time or maybe you have fallen off the ice wagon and like to start anew.

All are welcome. We can encourage and support each other for the thirty days.

2. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

This is the protocol we will follow. Thank you Chrisgraff for summarizing CT for dummies for us. http://www.fixyourleptin.com/cold-thermogenesis/

Cold Thermogenesis

• best used with the diet & sleep protocols.

• should be added gradually.

• only for those with Omega6/Omega3 ratio of less than 10:1.

1. Face dunks

• Remove facial products and/or makeup.

• 50-55ºF ice water in big pot or sink. (Use thermometer).

• Eat a meal high in fat/protein shortly before.

• Drink 16-32oz ice-cold water immediately before.

• Dunk/hold face in water as long as you can hold your breath.

• Never allow skin to fall below 50ºF – Use Thermometer!

• Once daily for two weeks.

Supplements to ease transition

• Fish oil + Krill oil

• Bitter melon, (two hours prior)

• Matcha green tea powder stirred in cold water prior to CT.

2. Wear compression shirt (ice, no water)

• tight compression shirt squeezes capillaries. MENS | WOMENS

• Same preparation/precautions as face-dunking.

• Hold 20-40 lb bag of ice on torso (w/shirt).

• Increase 5 min each session (1 hour max).

• If skin temp/color gets too cold, take warm shower immediately.

3. Ice directly on skin (no water)

• Same preparations/precautions as #2.

• Hold 20-40 lb bag of ice on torso (no shirt).

• Monitor skin temperature – never lower than 50ºF.

• If you develop cold urticaria, stop CT.

4. Cold showers

• Optional transition to cold baths.

5. Cold bath

• Same preparations/precautions.

• Wear knitted hat, gloves, socks (for first week).

• Start with 68ºF to 72ºF tap-water (use unbagged ice if necessary).

• Gradually increase duration per session, (max 45 min then decrease temp).

• Gradually decrease temperature per session.

• Water never colder than 50ºF (thermometer).

• See “Essential Readingâ€￾ (sidebar) for more information.

3. agatha

agatha New Member

Good for you Glamazon. I am 5 weeks into Leptin reset plus CT but I will be following your progress and experiences with interest and cheering you on. You are right to take it slowly - I went too fast wtih CT and got some unpleasant detox. I have also noticed some lovely benefits in wellbeing and energy and a little weight loss - the rigours of CT are well worth it.

4. Awesome, I'm glad you are doing this! I'm gonna stay in the icing stage this week, but I'm right here with ya! Did you see the compression shirts Dr. Kruse was thinking of selling? Anybody know if the ridges on those are connected to compression training or if its just a fashion thing?

5. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

great summary. is it a sticky yet???

are we supposed to wear compression shirts in baths???

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I will be looking forward to following everyone's progress. I have been doing C/T for about 3 weeks and spot icing as well

7. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Glamazon, I'm with you! I transitioned from face dunks to spot icing a few weeks ago, but need to suck it up and start submerging. I took the first baby-steps yesterday and today by standing in cold water about halfway up my calves - 5 min yesterday and 10 min today.

8. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I just finished my first face dunking. I did 3 dunks for 10 seconds each. I was surprised I couldn't hold my breath for very long because I am a person who can swim underwater for a long time.

I was hesitant at first to do this because I am having such a bout with the spring allergies right now for the last couple of days. My nose is totally clogged up and running. My right eye itches. I am not taking anything because I don't want to impair the face dunking results.

The tap water comes out at 48 degrees according to my fancy temp laser reader from Amazon (15 bucks). My tap water is probably that cold in the summer too.

My forehead skin temp was 95 degrees prior the first 10 second dunk. It was 80 degrees after coming out.

2nd dunk my skin temp was 73 after coming out.

3rd dunk it was 73 again.

My face was red. The first dunk wasn't painful. The 2nd and 3rd ones were but bearable. I have a snorkel but I am going to see if my breath retention improves without the snorkel. I have been able to hold my breath for about 3 minutes in past times.

I did this at 815pm. I forgot to drink my ice water prior but I am a cold water drinking fan. It is my beverage of choice. But, I had a high fat, moderate protein meal prior. My meals usually are high fat, moderate protein.

The comical thing was I thought, What the heck am I gonna do with these orange glasses? I hated taking them off because my eyes don't like the blueness anymore. It bugs them.

So I ended up doing in semi darkness in the bathroom.

;)

9. freesia

freesia Old Member

I'm with you!

Two weeks school holidays just started here so there will no immersion baths/naked recovery sessions until I have the house to myself again :)

It's Tues afternoon here so I'm a day out from your schedule, but I'm starting after my evening meal tonight. Woot!

Good to read how it went for you, and thanks for the shot in the arm I needed to commit to an actual start date.....No time like the present!

Will update later today :)

freesia (Day 10 LR, and loving it.)

10. Endless

Endless Guest

Question for anyone....

How does one know when their Omega6:3 ratio is less than 10:1? Or is this referring to the ratio being ingested?

11. Coriander

Coriander Silver

12. Endless

Endless Guest

Thanks for the link...unfortunately I'm in Canada so that won't work for me. I'll have to find one here.....

13. Coriander

Coriander Silver

Yeah, it doesn't help me either, I'm in Australia.

14. freesia

freesia Old Member

I got in three dunks of about 12 - 15 secs each too. I went in for a fourth but I could feel the water had warmed just slightly so I didn't count that one. I need to use a bigger bowl next time.

First dunk woke me up, and the second two hurt a bit.

My face and head felt invigorated after, and my skin felt great once it was dry.

I had a warm shower after and I noticed my sinuses felt a bit swollen after I got out. They still feel a little aggravated half an hour later.

Thanks Chrisgraff for the excellent summary!

15. agatha

agatha New Member

I know what you mean about taking off the orange sunglasses Glamazon. I do my cold tubs by candlelight. I have to sneak upstairs and do it without my dogs noticing - one of them becomes very panicky when I light a candle.

16. .lina

.lina New Member

aaah i missed this thread! i fell off the ice wagon over easter with my folks visiting and such, i will start facedunking again tonight! bookmarking this thread fo shizzle! :eek: will be fun to compare results!

17. Jane

Jane Silver

Hi Everyone! Count me in too!

I started face dunk yesterday also, but didn't have my thermometer until today. I used a big bowl and tap water (from a well) 60 degrees. I dunked 20 times for 10 seconds each. My face temp was 68 degrees after I finished. I plan on dunking again tonight, using ice water from the fridge. I'm also taking lukewarm showers, wearing a tee-shirt and shorts with all of the windows open.

I'm taking this slow because I have leaky gut issues (IBS-D dominant) and have been experiencing bouts of detoxing. Though I haven't done any testing, I'm sure I have hormonal issues. I'm 58 and post-menopausal for the last six years. I'm on meds for A-fib and high BP and also have 2 herniated discs, one in the lumbar region and one in my neck. I went off metformin about two years ago and have controlled T2D through diet and exercise since then. I've got sleep apnea and have dragged myself through the days with only 4 hours of sleep a night for eons.

The good news is that I went gluten free about six months ago and started the Leptin RX in the middle of this February. So far I've lost 20 lbs on the LRX, but have been stuck there for the last few weeks (about 90 more lbs to go). Unless I'm in the throes of detox, my energy is way up!

I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with everyone on this thread!

Jane

18. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

Yeah, it's late, I know. Did them at 1015pm.

I had an acupuncture treatment, came home and had my dinner. Then fell asleep for about 4 hours and woke up. I thought, "nooooo....should I still do it? What if I will never get to sleep?"

My eyes were so itchy allergy bothersome so I did it to get relief.

So, by candlelight, which is much better btw.

Only did twice this time.

1st time for 15 seconds dunk! woo hoo. water was 50 F. My skin temp before was 95 on my forehead. After, the temp was 75. It was more painful this time than the first initial dunk yesterday.

2nd time for 10 seconds. Couldn't hold my breath as long and it was painful. Skin temp after was 72.

My eyes are not so itchy but still some itchiness and puffy.

Since yesterday's dunk I do notice some differences. The runny, clogged up nose is less fierce. It seems to be clearing up. I felt better at work without having to use so many tissues to blow my nose all the time. I also don't feel so tired from the allergies. Still not taking any antihistamines for it.

I am going to get an ice gel pack out of the freezer, wrap it up and put it on my eyes for awhile when I go lay down.

I should have planned around the acupuncture. It always relaxes me so deeply that I usually end up falling asleep early on that day. One of the reasons I am getting the acupuncture is to help with the detox.

going to bed :cool:

19. freesia

freesia Old Member

Day 2 done and dusted here too!

I did 4 dunks tonight, around 7.45pm. Approx 9 - 10 seconds per dunk - nothing flash!

This morning I woke with a slight headache, persistant sinus drainage, and a watery left eye for a short while. The headache was worse by this evening and it was putting me off wanting to do CT, but by the time I'd drunk two big glasses of iced water in prep for the dunking my headache had vanished.

Hope others are doing well :)

20. agatha

agatha New Member

Good going Glamazon. Be careful not to freeze your eyes if you fall asleep!