1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

cold therapy and the nervous system

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by hellojtm, Mar 27, 2012.

1. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

I'm partway through an old book called Dexterity and It's Development. It's fascinating and a must read for anyone interested in evolutionary biology.

The point is that part of the reason we are so dextrous is that we are warm blooded. Our nerves require a certain baseline temperature to transmit signals properly. This is why you lose coordination when you are cold. Think of your hands when you are skiing/snowboarding trying to do something on your coat or bindings that requires coordination.

Anyway, it is interesting for me to note that during my cold adaptation period I am finding myself fairly uncoordinated for long periods after the cold exposure. I just spent an hour outside, lightly dressed, in ~50f weather with windchill unaccounted for. I've been inside now ~45 minutes and i can still feel a little difficulty typing this.

My assumption is that this is a transitionary phase and that after adaptation my body temp will be within the optimal range for nervous system communication regardless of ambient temperatures.

So at least that can serve as a marker for me. There is no way I'm cold adapted as long as my dexterity is compromised.

jesse

2. Melinda

Melinda New Member

I find my mental dexterity is hampered as well. I'm doing 30 min in my salt water pool, swimming and playing today-no more being a statue, and toward the end of the secession and a while afterwards I can't find the words I'm looking for with the usual speed. It's like my mind is so busy processing other stuff that it doesn't have the bandwidth to help me be eloquent.

3. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Interesting feedback Melinda. Thanks. What temperature is your pool?