1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cold after CT

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Michael F, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Michael F

Michael F New Member

Hi.
    I'm a new member here but I've followed the doc and the protocols for almost a year. With CT, I started with face dunks, then ice blocks and then cold baths 6 months ago. I'm doing CT 3-4 times a week, half an hour in 50-55F. I feel ok during the session, skin turns pink by the time I'm done. I don't shiver though and it takes hours to heat up. I'm cold all over, my hands and feet are like lumps of ice and my lips are blue.

Should I continue doing CT, will it get better with time - or is it possible that it doesn't work for me? Would drinking DDW water help?

2. shah78

shah78 Gold

how much dha do you eat?

freesia and drezy like this.
  3. Jason Coates

Jason Coates Losing the Shade.

Do you dress or shower immediately upon exit? I would suggest air dry or dry off and then get under a blanket or in a gown that allows for heat the build up around you.

freesia likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

FWIW I time my sessions as much as possible to get sun. Lately I'm getting UVi 7 - 9 sun right after a session, but I notice that even on cloudy days I still can't stand being indoors for a while after a CT session. Your "solar panels" are at peak efficiency cold so avail yourself of sunlight right after CT if at all possible.

5. freesia

freesia Old Member

Agree it helps immensely to get some sun during or afterwards!

What's your body temperature doing while your skin's exposed to 50 - 55 F?
    ...Mine rises - but it took a few months for this to be happening consistently and had to build up the duration slowly to avoid crashing, afterdrop, mild hypothermia and other various horrors. ;)

caroline and drezy like this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

I haven't checked but I suspect it rises because I turn red.

Do you know or suspect why it took you a while? Was it thyroid related?

7. John Saf

John Saf New Member

I was also very cold after CT. No shiver, but very cold "inside". It lasted up to 90minuts and was not good.
    But it never happens anymore, i think my mitochondria has become stronger.

freesia and drezy like this.
  8. freesia

freesia Old Member

I started with a low basal temp and extreme cold sensitivity. I'd experienced this since early adolescence...pre developing ME/CFS. I strongly suspect thyroid, though I didn't have recent tests when I started CT.
    My temp at first went down while in a 10 minute cold bath and it took literally hours to warm up afterwards. After about 5 weeks my temp was rising 1/2 a degree celsius immediately on exposure to cold. Then a bit further on I observed it was actually rising *in anticipation* of an icebath - ie when I was getting the ice out of the freezer and into the bath. Conditioning I guess. :)
    From memory by the end of the first winter my temp (measured under the tongue) was rising .7 of a degree celsius while in the bath.

(My body temp has been normal since 2012. Woot!)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    caroline and drezy like this.
  9. freesia

freesia Old Member

Yep the brown fat becomes more immediately responsive in my experience. Magic.

I pushed it too far once - about 3 weeks in I think - got mild hypothermia and took 9 hours to come back to baseline. I caution everyone to take it slow.

caroline likes this.
  10. Brent Patrick

Brent Patrick New Member

Michael your answer is within Inger's guest blog ,great read!

https://www.jackkruse.com/winter-solstice-special-blog-the-inger-effect/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    LieselK and drezy like this.
  11. drezy

drezy Gold

Woot indeed. Congratulations!

12. drezy

drezy Gold

Brent Patrick likes this.
  13. Brent Patrick

Brent Patrick New Member

Totally agree :)

14. drezy

drezy Gold

Seriously Doc is saintly because at this point I'd be tempted to say STFU, get asses in cold water, and read and copy Inger. Do that for 6 months and then we can talk.

If there is any truth there one truth is for sure, I do not have the temperament that it would take to be a doctor.

Allin likes this.
  15. Brent Patrick

Brent Patrick New Member

This is true ,as I say read the older blogs heaps of gems contained within them

16. Michael F

Michael F New Member

Thanks for all comments and ideas, everyone!

I have been eating 2-3 dozens of oysters a week plus other seafood daily, but the last 3 months I have eaten about 50/50 seafood and piglet belly for deuterium depletion. I have not noticed any difference in cold tolerance.

I dry off with a towel. I have tried both with clothes and nude afterwards, and I believe I get warm sooner when nude when I'm indoors in a warm room, but I really can't stand it, so I usually to put on clothes or even get under a blanket. Takes hours to heat up, nevertheless.

Sun to heat up is a great idea and I would like to give it a shot, but it's inaccessible in the UK in the winter

My body temp drops markedly. Both rectal and under tongue.
    My thyroid panel is normal, so that shouldn't be it.

Did you change anything? Or did it just get good? How long did it take?

Inger certainly is an inspiration! But is it necessary to go to such extremes? I am not directly overweight and do not have any significant health issues that I know of. Or what exactly did you have in mind?

17. Brent Patrick

Brent Patrick New Member

Inger certainly is an inspiration! But is it necessary to go to such extremes? I am not directly overweight and do not have any significant health issues that I know of. Or what exactly did you have in mind?

Extreme is really only defined by each individual and their perceptions ,as others have mentioned DHA ,,,has to be pre-loaded into the system.
    Do you consume high fat /protein meal before CT ?
    Bitter Melon ? helps stimulate BAT from WAT.

You may still have excess omega 6 the closer your 06/3 ratio is to 4:1 the better your response will be to the cold. You will need more Omega 3's for CT and a cold environment to provide proper cell signalling and increase fluidity in the cell membrane

Oxygen + DHA + Water =Paramagnetism = increases the electric and magnetic fields in mitochondria

Magnetic fields repel cold

I also think attitude plays a big part I actually get a dump of dopamine with just the preparation of CT then with execution, the thought of getting in the Cold gives me a high.

Hang in there Michael don't give up the benefits of CT are many ,you just have to find your n=1

And this ,,

Individual difference in humans who cold adapt
    Special forces training has been at the fore front of this type of information. I have a few friends who are former Seals and Rangers. I spent a lot of time talking to them picking their brains about their training. Most of what they were taught and trained for is not published for obvious reasons. Here is what I found. Cold tolerance is increased by large body size (small surface area – body mass ratio), abundant subcutaneous fat, good physical fitness (good ability for heat production, good circulation), male gender (predominantly due to larger body size), young age (via muscle mass and circulation), cold adaptation and good health. Recently it has been shown that also personality affects thermal responses, especially the levels of extrovertion and neuroticism. Increased level of neuroticism dampens or slows the autonomic thermoregulatory responses whereas increased extrovertion has an opposite effect. https://www.jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-5-biologic-magnetism/

The cold PUFA connection to grounding effects

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/the-cold-pufa-connection-to-grounding-effects.18433/

You may want to consider scuba diving shoes and gloves ,this makes a big difference to CT.I personally always wear the shoes as my feet get really cold as well.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    drezy likes this.
  18. John Saf

John Saf New Member

It took me me aprox 6 mounts. Now it feels great during (not the first 30sec into ct), and after. In this time several things changed:
    More seafood
    More animal fat
    Less nnemf
    No bluelight after aprox 18.00
    All the sunlight this place can give me in the winter (often with air CT) living at 62' N Norwegian mountains

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    drezy and freesia like this.
  19. freesia

freesia Old Member

Glad you've ruled out thyroid issues @Michael F
    Blue light after sundown will have your body set firmly to 'winter-resistant' but it sounds you likely have all that and a lot more under control.
    The only further suggestion I can offer is that as an experiment you ease back on the duration and/or the water temperature and monitor how you respond to that. Training the body to re-warm (the thermogenesis part of the deal) doesn't go smoothly for everyone. In my case pushing too hard just resulted in 'post exertional malaise' which undermined forward progress.
    I used a hot water bottle, and my dog, to warm my feet after for the first few months. And going into my 7th winter at this I still wear polypropylene socks in cold water. Believe me my feet still get cold enough! :)

drezy likes this.
  20. Michael F

Michael F New Member

Thanks. So maybe there's hope. I have been doing this for 6 months. I don't appreciate the first few seconds either, but the rest of my session feels perfectly ok. I could stay in longer, I don't feel really cold, but I tend to feel bored. It's when I have got out that I see that I don't get warm.
    I would suppose I could eat more seafood again - and less pork belly. Albeit I was hoping depleting deuterium through eating you animal fat would help.
    I use artificial lighting as little as possible daytime and none between sunset and sunrise. In the evening I have my fire place as the only lighting at home.
    nnEMF is impossible to avoid fully where I currently live. However, my bedroom is well shielded and I don't get any readings on my nnEMF meters there. When inside at home, I spend as much time as possible in there.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Perhaps I could try to make my sessions shorter. Instead of 30 minutes 3-4 times a week I could do 15-20 minutes, more or less every day? I like the idea of using a dog to heat up. :)
    My feet don't really feel cold while in the tub, it's only that they and my hands are the slowest parts of my body to heat up afterwards.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018