1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cold adapted mattress pad

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Chrisgraff, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

This looks interesting - a mattress pad that cools down to 50 degrees. Adjustable too; could be a great way to transition to ice baths!

http://www.coolorheat.com/

2. MJ*

MJ* New Member

That is a great idea!

3. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I'm thinking get two and lay naked between them and forget the ice baths! It's your skin temperature that matters, wouldn't this do the same thing with more comfort? Just sayin'

4. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

I've seen something like this on sale at Amazon and it got me wondering. It seems like it might be cheaper than filling the tub. The purpose of using the water is because it's 24x better at encouraging thermogenesis than air. I imagine these mattresses would take longer to get the skin to the right temp, if it could get it to that 55 temp at all?

5. Continuum Fitness

Continuum Fitness New Member

considering you would be sleeping on top of it for 8 hours, I would think this would be ideal to lowering your skin temp gradually. It would be an excellent addition to baths or packs.

Remember that the studies that have been done on CT. 60 degree temps or lower for hours showed activation of BAT. This would do the same thing.

The effect is cumulative.

Follow the protocol to reach cold adaption, then reduce your bath to once a week along with daily ice packs and nightly sleeping on the cold mattress.

6. Groketteliveson

Groketteliveson New Member

That's is so awesome you found this site. I saw them the other night but couldn't find a site that actually sold them and I had spent hours looking for it!

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Oh this would be so awesome during the hot DC summers! Even w/ac running at 72 degrees all day our house doesn't get below 80! Good old post war construction, single pane windows etc. yesterday the house was close to 90 inside when the high yesterday was 85. Windows were open, attic fan on.... Yup our house needs cold thermogenesis

8. Croak

Croak New Member

That's what you get for living in a swamp. :)

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Yeah. But the swamp is where the paycheck is. If I had my way I'd be living at 6k+ altitude, where it snows from October through April! And the average temp in winter is 25 degrees!

10. Groketteliveson

Okay so I went ahead and placed an order for two. Bought one for me and bought one for my friend who is in menopause and tells me she wakes up in a pool of swet all the time. Will let you all know how it works when I get it!

11. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

Here's another company that sells a similar product in all sizes:

http://www.chilitechnology.com/Chili_Pad.html

Thermostat goes down to 46 degrees, "generally reaching surface temperatures of 55-110 degrees"

Pricey though.

Twin = $450

Full = $550

Queen = $600

King = $1000

12. beachy

beachy New Member

Can't wait to hear. I get so hot when I sleep. You're a good friend!

13. Garfield

Garfield New Member

Can't wait to hear what you think about them. (I'm especially interested in how much noise they make.)

14. David

David Silver

Thanks for the tip! I ordered two and just got notified by email that shipping would be today.

15. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

Let me know how those work out! :)

16. Birdy

Birdy New Member

people are forgetting a good ole water bed, which is usually heated, but now there is no reason to turn on the heat.

17. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Cold thermogenisis by it self is so far pretty uncomfortable. I can't imagine sleeping on an unheated water bed, nor anything else at 55 degrees. When I slept on a waterbed I had heaters go out at least twice. Can't say I was able to sleep at all on an unheated bed until the water warmed up into the 80s. Even during hot summers pre AC I doubt I kept the waterany colder that 75 degrees.

If you can sleep on a 55 degree pad you are tougher than I :)

18. Adriana

Adriana New Member

The seat version looks good for a little over $100...and it claims to go down to 50 degrees.

It will probably pay for itself compared to the increased water bill for 1-2 tubfulls a day. Water is expensive here in Atlanta.

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I thought someone had asked Dr. Kruse about sleeping with ice packs overnight in one of the blog comments and he indicated it wasn't a good idea. I realize this isn't an ice pack, but at a temp of 50 degrees it's pretty darn cold. Wondering if Dr. K will chime in and let us know what he thinks of this.

20. Groketteliveson

I received the cool/heat sleep pad yesterday. The unit is relatively quiet. You hear air pushing but it sounds something similar to a ceiling fan. As far as how cold the mattress gets, not very cold. I turned the cooling unit down to 50 and the unit never reached that. I never did receive the second one I ordered so I could compare the two. Thought maybe there was an issue with the pad itself and then I pulled out the manual and read this:

IMPORTANT Thermoelectric performance is a function of ambient room temperature. For example, if the room temperature is 80 F, the cool-heat sleep pad can cool down to 62 F(18'degrees difference). So at 80 F room temperature, if you set the powere unit to 55 F, the sleep pad will cool to 62 F.

So that being said, my room temp was 64 F. I had the unit set to 50 F and it never even reached past 60 F. So I called the company and they were good about sending a shipping label so I could pack it up and exchange for another unit. If the next one behaves the same way then I will just return it for good. But if you wanted to cool down while sleeping I think it would be good. The goal for me is to get my skin tempeture down and I don't think this pad is designed for that.

I'm guessing the seat pad is the same way.