1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cold adaptation frequency

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Butters, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Im doing CT adaptation bath again and I wonder how often I should do this.
    Every day? Every second...?
    Im on 10min Cold baths now and need quite some time to warm up afterwards, with feet and hands coldest and needing most time.

Gina R likes this.
  2. Inger

Inger Silver

I think it depends very much on the person, the N=1

What I do is, I do quick-CT every day, but only a minute or two ;)
    and the temperature is always the same than it was in the night/outside.
    I take a warm shower in the mornings after watching the sunrise, then I dip in my rain barrel.. and after that I stay nude in the morning light for at least another minute or mostly longer.

I also sleep with wide open window, no curtains, year round, also in freezing temps in winter, and never use heating in my bedroom. So I guess I get kind of air CT in the night too ;)

I do this, always, religiously.
    I love my morning routine.
    I feel, how it is so good for me.. I just feel it!

If I take a walk in the woods, I often take short dip/swim in the tiny lake I walk by, but also only a minute or two (in the cold season). I never plan that dip tho, I just take off my clothes and dip in the lake if the water calls me.. and it almost always do....lol I cannot resist that silent voice/invitation ;) :) :)

I guess you just need to find out what is the best way for you...through testing ;) :)

Helio Silva, drezy, caroline and 3 others like this.

3. Nice Inger

drezy likes this.
  4. Butters

Butters New Member

But Im interested in the real deal cold adaptation thing. So getting the real heat thing up and going.

5. drezy

drezy Gold

Alright. I'm going to channel my paternal German great grandma here. Rumor had it she was an amazonian tall strong woman. Meaning if there was a lineup of 100 women she'd likely be the last one you'd want to get punched by or receive a digital prostate exam from (unless that were your thing -- no judgement zone).

Here we go, buckle up!

Lieber Deutscher:
    Tränken Sie Ihren Körper 3-5 Mal pro Woche in 11-14ºC Wasser. 15 - 30 Minuten pro Sitzung.

Tanzen Sie aus der Linie. Ihr Kind schaut zu.

6. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Why not start with the basics? Follow the original protocol in the Cold RX. Face dunks then iceblock compresssion then cold baths then work your way upm in time to 1hour 55F. After i could do that I lowered the temp and my time in the tub. After that I acclimitised to the lake temp from october to december. Now im a CT beast. Oh ya and dont forget to eat high protien meal with DHA beforehand for the thermogenic affect.

Marko Pollo, shah78, Allin and 5 others like this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^Smart.

Jim Laird likes this.
  8. Butters

Butters New Member

Im working the protocols. Cold showers arent bothering me. But the protocols dont mention a frequency.
    Thanks drezy.

9. kris90

kris90 New Member

As often as you can tolerate because CT is non-hormetic.

Butters and shah78 like this.
  10. Sajid Mahmood

Sajid Mahmood Lionel Messi

Is it okay to do CT too close to bedtime ? Thanks

11. Ski coach

Ski coach Gold

I use cool fat burner (sometimes with ice cap) for 1-2 hours before bed. Helps my sleep. If I do tub CT ( i.e. much more intense ) it is better not too close to bed time. However, perhaps if I did it every day, right before bed might be great. Experiment. :)Also it is better to do it at sub optimal time (for your n=1) than not to do it at all .

Sajid Mahmood likes this.
  12. kris90

kris90 New Member

Absolutely. You will sleep great.

13. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm with ski coach on this one. If I CT less than 1.5 hours before bed I will likely lose sleep. I've never tried immediately prior to bed though (aka hop out of water and under sheets).

14. Sajid Mahmood

Sajid Mahmood Lionel Messi

Does CT increase cortisol? If it does, wouldn’t CT be bad idea too close to bedtime if it increased cortisol? Thanks

15. kris90

kris90 New Member

When you're cold adapted, CT does not increase cortisol I believe. The effect is not hermetic. Our body temp naturally goes down at night when we sleep. It's all part of the circadian mechanism of when we uncouple as leptin enters the hypothalamus between 12 AM and 2 AM.

Butters and Sajid Mahmood like this.