1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Coffee?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by caroline, May 11, 2013.

1. Jude

Jude Gold

OK yewyew I need some clarification here......MCT's
    So, coconut oil and olive oil are MCT's...here's where I've become confused...
    iirc, thought that coconut oil in general, contained the largest amt out of all the oils?
    Now, are you saying that you can buy concentrated CO which is then 6x stronger than ordinary CO?
    If not...please tell me what you meant ?:confused:

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Jude - you read more about MCT oil on Dave Asprey's site. I get it from optimaloz...

3. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

@caroline -- Don't know why I never thought of that. I buy so many things from iherb, but never took a look at coconut oil. I should give it a shot pretty soon.

@jude -- the breakdown of 100g of coconut oil is as follows:

1. In 100g of coconut oil, there is about 90g of saturated fat, with the other 10g being mono and polyunsaturated fat

2. Of that 90g of saturated fat, about 65g of that are medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs)

3. Of that 65g of MCTs, only about 15g are caprylic acid (C8) and capric acid (C10). These are thought to be the "most ketogenic" MCTs

4. A good MCT oil only consists of C8 and C10. This is where the "6x more powerful than coconut oil" claim comes from -- it would take 100g of coconut oil to get "the same ketogenic effect" as 15g of pure MCT oil.

5. Between C8 and C10, C8 is "more ketogenic". There is usually only about 5-7g of C8 in coconut oil.

6. Dave Asprey sells this thing called 'Brain Octane' which is nothing but C8, which is 1/18th the composition of coconut oil, and hence he claims that it's "18x more potent than coconut oil"

There are benefits to having to take less of an oil:
    - Less chance of diarrhea due to MCT overconsumption
    - Easier compliance for some folks

Personally, I can take 4 tablespoons of pure MCT and do just fine :)

Hope that helps!

4. Jude

Jude Gold

WOW...... that is awesome...thanks for such a great breakdown...had no idea about that really...think I'd like to try some as not fussed at all on CO..have also given the coffee and tea a miss due to Bun/C...it's such a change and hard not to miss all my good old drinking days!

5. nicld

nicld Gold

No I use tea already in the bags. I steep them for 15-30 minutes before I leave the house then pour the tea into my blender, add coconut oil then pour in my travel mug. Not a s good as coffee but it seems to do the trick.

6. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Personally, no coffee for me, since I didn't like where my BUN/Creatinine ratio was going. I ended up limiting most teas pretty heavily as well, and ended up doing bitter melon tea as a substitute.

What does coffee and tea have to do with BUN/Creatinine....
    I LOVE LOOSE LEAF TEA and just started to drink some coffee mayb 2-3x a week for the antioxidants and other benefits... I add a little vanilla (not powder, just pure vanilla) and about 1/8 to 1/16 of stevia... is stevia bad to add? Is powdered vanilla better than the liquid?

7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Yup, coffee and tea have a ton of polyphenols, the caffeine is probably good for you, so do drink them if you can.

Nothing wrong with stevia either as far as I know.

Dr Kruse talked about the issue with coffee here -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthre...fee-Leptin-Reset&p=95413&viewfull=1#post95413 . After reading EE3 and looking at my labs, I decided I needed all the magnesium I could get, and coffee is just one of many things that could deplete magnesium further.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  8. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

I think my Ratio is 35.... BUN 29 and Creatinine 0.83 done on 10/9... is that really bad?

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

yep - Meghan ....not good - way too high...

10. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

What is the range? I tried to search it but way too much came up....
    Top three ways to get it down?

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

Meghan .....C/T C/T C/T

I think Dr. K. likes it around 10-1

How are you?

12. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Personalized just for you :)

1) less exercise
    2) less non-native EMF
    3) more non-fluoridated water

Bonus: CT

13. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Thank you Caroline and ATL_Paleo... well, someone upstairs just intervened on Friday... I strained my low back pretty bad doing a combo of a crazy crossfit workout with clean,squat and jerks then going to work at Trader Joes and loading/manuevering 50lbs turkeys all day.... and now I can't bend over... GRRRR.... so have taken two full days off of exercise but still have to bike to work and work which is loading and unloading pallets of food and wine at TJs for 8 hours a day but I was doing that on top of 3 hours of exercise so maybe my body will see it as rest....
    I got an Earthing Band for my wrist and patches that I have been putting on my back the past few nights when I sleep... then I have the Earthing mat for when I'm at my computer... so trying to keep the EMF as low as possible.... haven't used the microwave for quite some time, using a bamboo steamer for veggies instead...

As for CT... I rode my bike in 9 degree weather this morning and walked in it all day yesterday and tonight.... does that count? I have a VERY HARD time doing the cold tub.. because A) I have no body fat.... and B) The water only gets to about 65 degrees..... I do put the ice packs on my shoulders (you have seen the pics) and now have been putting it on my low back..... should I be putting them on my tummy?

How much water? I drink at least two 32oz Nalogen bottles daily and about 8 cups of tea (green, matcha, detox, ginger, chamomile, black).....

THANK YOU BOTH!

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Meghan, Meghan, Meghan ...,,,what are we going to do with you???

How are you managing to work and bike etc etc?

You can't kep a good woman down - but this is ridiculous.....You are quite the overachiever .... Aren't you?

Have a wonderful thanksgiving with your family and appreciate the heck out of them.

xo

15. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Alone for Thanksgiving ;(..... Dad went to Ireland with my Mom to see my brother....
    Sister in PA....

I'm working ....

16. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

When I think of TJs, I think of CT. Paid CT!!!

Volunteer to work as much as possible in the walk-in freezer .... and do it sans sweater or jacket. Im guessing working in the freezer is not the favorite part of the job for most of your co-workers.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

What a great idea Alt!

18. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Ha! I thought about that yesterday because I was on Frozen for 2 hours and then Deli (refridgerator) for an hour.... problem is you can only stay in there about 10 or so minutes because you are pulling product in and out....