1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Coffee?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by caroline, May 11, 2013.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

Is any one using Dave Asprey's coffee? If so .... what grinder do you use and what coffee maker?
    Do I have to spend $$$ on a grinder and was wondering how a french press would be?

We can get his coffee in Oz now ... and I do love my coffee. I am presently using a Nespresso machine with pods and do think it is great coffee - but it gets pretty expensive....

I would love to know what everyone is using.........

And thoughts on MCT oil? .... much better to use for coffee than CO?

Thanks!

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I'm using it... I have a burr grinder - that I can adjust the grind from fine to coarse ... I bought the grinder years ago... don't remember the brand but paid about $45 US for it....

I've added MCT oil to my BPC... love it...

3. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

I've purchased his coffee and just use my regular Kitchen Aid grinder. It tastes really good. I also purchase his BP Vanilla bean powder, which is very yummy stirred in with CO, CO milk, turmeric.

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

So - MCT oil is better than CO?

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

How are you brewing the coffee Pam?

6. Lava

Lava Gold

I brew my with a regular drip coffee pot/grinder but am super careful the coffee pot is mold free. I think Dave A. suggests using a press. I prefer CO over the MCT oil. I love mornings and BPC...

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Lava - you are using buletproof coffee? Do you like it a lot better?

8. Lava

Lava Gold

Caroline ~ Yes, I purchase the Bulletproof Coffee..I love it...and it's funny that it's cheaper than local organic coffee grown in Hawaii and that includes shipping...

9. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

I brew it in my regular Mr. Coffee pot with a brown paper filter. I've read that unfiltered coffee can raise triglycerides, so I use a filtered system. The coffee tastes very good and is reasonably priced.

10. elvey90

elvey90 Guest

Just want to clarify, I think Jack mentioned Decaf Coffee with "never" so I'm assuming that decaf coffee is a no-no?

To be honest was a bit saddened by this because was thinking in getting into BP Decaf Coffee due caffeine issues....

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

I don't really know what the present thinking is on decaf. I have bought Dave Asprey's decaf. To be honest - I like my nespresso better........but I am not an expert at brewing it maybe......

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

I do know one thing however! ..... Aldi pods are full of mold...

13. Inger

Inger Silver

Decaffeinated coffee is not good. Jack has clearly said this too many times. Actually when thinking about it, honestly, pretty unnatural...

Drink green tea instead and eat the coconut oil by a spoon :)

14. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Dave Asprey's take on coffee is definitely optimised toward ensuring a toxin-free brew, and he's even admitted that his decaf is pretty lacking on the taste department as a result. I've never tried his coffee though.

Regarding MCT oil, coconut oil is just MCT + some other types of fat. ie: MCTs are a part of coconut oil. Just think of pure MCT as concentrated coconut oil (6 times stronger in regular MCT). So you could say that you need to consume 6 times less MCT to achieve the same ketogenic effect as coconut oil. So you should add MCT if you're after the extra brain-boosting effects.

Relatedly, Ben Greenfield recently did a podcast (with a transcript here) talking about "5 ways to stay awake without coffee", whereby he mentions decaf vs caffeinated coffee. Greenfield essentially does caffeinated coffee for 6 weeks, and then decaf for 2 weeks to re-sensitise himself back to the effects of caffeine as well as to mitigate some of the negative effects. He also talks about how green tea contains L-tyrosine, which gives your brain a boost, but without the sleep disruption (so Inger may be correct to grab the tea instead!)

Personally, no coffee for me, since I didn't like where my BUN/Creatinine ratio was going. I ended up limiting most teas pretty heavily as well, and ended up doing bitter melon tea as a substitute.

Sidenote for Aussies: Nature Pacific Coconut oil from Fiji is amazing! Got myself a 20L pail a month ago for $228, or $11.40/L (that's inclusive of shipping costs from Queenslands) -- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CERTIFIE...98?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27d116107a

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yew ..... have you tried Nutiva coconut oil? Do you find the pail easy enough to handle?

16. elvey90

elvey90 Guest

Can you mix green tea with MCT oil??

17. nicld

nicld Gold

I do. Been trying to cut down on the coffee and just need something hot on the way to work. I use a magic bullet to blend it well.

18. elvey90

elvey90 Guest

So I'm guessing you use green tea leaves or do you use powder form then mix with MCT in a blender?

I was thinking of doing the same but add Maca too...

19. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Nope, I've never tried Nutiva, mainly because I can't find an affordable source around here.

Nature Pacific has other products as well -- http://www.naturepacific.com/contents/en-us/d1_Virgin_Coconut_Oil.html , so there's options outside of buying a 20L pail. I personally didn't find the pail hard to handle. but it is definitely bulky and heavy, and you do need to scoop it out and store the oil in convenient (glass) bottles for everyday use.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

I get nutiva from iherb.....I like it a lot better than the local one I was getting... Bababan - I think.