1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cod Liver

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by healthy2015, May 20, 2020.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I hope everyone is staying safe.
    My 3 year old son currently eats Keta salmon roe every day, salmon fillets every other day and then Pork belly on the alternate days which he loves! We are looking to introduce Cod Liver to his diet but wanted to make sure it would be okay to give him and if anyone knew how much would be okay for him to eat.
    Here is the one we have purchased
    https://www.thefishsociety.co.uk/cod-liver.html

Thank you.
    Em

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Also any other liver plus onions for sulfur.
    Liverwurst Pate

3. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras

Canned cod liver may be contaminated with mineral oil hydrocarbons from the manufacture of the metal cans.

healthy2015 likes this.
  4. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras

Time stamp 7:19 about canned food.

healthy2015 likes this.
  5. Thanks guys for your comments

6. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

There's information about the levels of Vitamin A (post #27) and DHA (post #25) in a minimally processed cod liver oil in this thread:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/correcting-high-omega-6-3-ratio.24801/page-2

When you say how much is okay, I'm guessing you mean how much would have too much Vitamin A, or maybe too much DHA in proportion to other fats in the diet? Compare the nutrition label on yours to the amounts in the one teaspoon dose of the oil; one teaspoon of the oil should be a safe amount for a three year old, and two teaspoons might not be too much unless they've been eating lots of beef liver and might have close to an excess of Vitamin A stored in their liver already. (edit: That was a guess without thinking about it much. The rest of this shows some reasons why that may or may not be accurate.) I don't know if a toddler's liver handles Vitamin A differently than an adult's, but if not, and if an adult can eat about 1-3 lbs of beef liver per week for a number of months probably before getting close to an excess of Vitamin A and that adult weighs about 180 lbs, a three year old weighing about 30-40 lbs (about 1/6 the weight) could probably eat about (16 ounces / 6 = 2-3 oz; 32 / 6 = 5-6 oz; 48 / 6 = 8 oz) between 3-8 ounces of beef liver per week without risking Vitamin A excess? The picture in post #27 of that thread I linked to shows 3,900 iu of Vitamin A in a teaspoon of cod liver oil. A quick Google search says about 15,000 iu Vitamin A in 3 ounces of beef liver. So if a teaspoon of the cod liver oil per day is safe for a toddler, that means about 28,000 iu per week, which would be in about 6 ounces of beef liver. Google says 1 iu of Vitamin A is the equivalent of 0.3 mcg of retinol and the RDA is 900 mcg, so say the nutrition label on the cod liver can says 100% RDA of Vitamin A (and has just the percentage), unless they're using European standards or something ("the German Nutrition Society (DGE) recommend a daily intake of 0.8 mg vitamin A (retinol) for women and 1 mg for men (https://www.nutri-facts.org/en_US/nutrients/vitamins/a/intake-recommendations.html)) that "100%" on the label would mean (900 mcg / 0.3 mcg per iu) 3000 iu, or if it says "50%" on the label it'd mean ( (900 x .5) / 0.3) = 1500 iu. Whatever the percentage is on the label, multiply that as a decimal by 900 to get the percentage of Vitamin A converted to micrograms, then figure out how many of the 0.3 mcg 1 iu equivalents there are in that by dividing that percentage turned into micrograms by 0.3. (Percentage on label as decimal) x 900 = Micrograms of Vitamin A per serving. Then do Micrograms / 0.3 = iu per serving.

Also I woudn't be surprised if the RDA for Vitamin A is lower than might be useful, especially for a growing kid (unless a toddler's liver handles Vitamin A doses differently than an adult's). Since the one teaspoon of cod liver oil has about 4000 iu Vitamin A and the RDA for adults is 3000 iu, either one teaspoon of cod liver oil per day is too much for a toddler because the proportional amount going by the RDA for adults would be about 500 iu for a toddler, or the RDA being too low for adults makes it seem proportionally that one teaspoon per day cod liver oil is way too much for a toddler whereas maybe traditionally a teaspoon (or a small teaspoon but not 1/6 of a teaspoon) has been given to kids as young as toddlers safely and so it'd be healthier to give maybe 1/2 to a full teaspoon per day, or maybe even more than a full teaspoon because they're growing and we don't know how insufficient the RDA might be for a growing kid, although I'd guess more than a teaspoon would probably be better as they get bigger and a teaspoon's enough for a three year old (and you can figure out with the math above about how much cod liver from the can that'd be).

I would write an email to the Weston A. Price Foundation and include some of what I wrote above and ask them what they know about the history of safe cod liver oil doses for small kids compared to the modern RDAs for Vitamin A.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    healthy2015 likes this.
  7. Hi Dan, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I will take a look into this as I dont want to risk him having too much
    Thanks again
    Em