1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Coconut Oil in Winter

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by kris90, Dec 6, 2017.

1. kris90

kris90 New Member

Jack stated recently that CO was a poor choice for winter because the input/current is not strong enough to drive physiological insulin resistance. He mentions the FADH2:NADH ratio is similar to glucose, and the result is a low electron current in the inner mitochondrial membrane that can result in pseudohypoxia and low NAD+.

It's funny I just did a recent, accidental reverse-biohack because I had pretty well cut out CO from my diet in late fall, but I recently added it back in in large amounts with supper because I was losing weight almost too quickly on my ketogenic diet. The past week or so I've been eating about 3-4 tbsp. with my dinner, and I've noticed the following observations:

1) Gained 3 lbs
    2) Breathing has become suboptimal
    3) Decreased tolerance to the cold
    4) Slight increase in hunger levels

Guess I will stick to butter or ghee, and modulate my CO to find the right balance to prevent excessive weight loss. It seems that the purpose of CO is to smother over your carbs in spring and summer to help deplete deuterium.

Anyone else have experience with unfavorable effects of CO in winter?
    caroline, SlamSlask and Lahelada like this.
  2. shiran

shiran Curious

Very interesting dose it refer to CO water/cream as well?
  3. kris90

kris90 New Member

Not sure, that's a good question. Cream I would assume. I think it is the MCTs.
  4. Inger

Inger Silver

I think coconut water is not good in winter for us in the north either, because it does is pretty sweet....

I feel a little odd if using coconut oil in winter. It just does not feel right.

I am making my own ghee now, it tastes way better than the store bought one :) I just heat up the butter until it cooks, and then let it sit for a while and slowly pour it into a glass jar and let the bottom white stuff back and throw it away. I quit using dairy and it feels great, no more stuffed nose :) Ghee is fine :)
    My favorite fat to use is pure grassfed beef fat eaten raw or I render it and keep it in jars. But I cant always get my hands on it so that is why I use ghee too. That I can always easily get :)
    kris90, shiran and caroline like this.
  5. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

My craving for coconut and coconut butter goes down as winter sets in. It just kinda happens naturally. My craving for bacon and animal fats seem to go up. I just kinda tune in and listen.
    seanb4 and kris90 like this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Today's patreon blog covers this Kris.
    Alex97232 and kris90 like this.