1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Classic Pregnenolone Steal?

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by kjgraffin@yahoo.com, Aug 3, 2012.

1. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

kjgraffin@yahoo.com New Member

Here are 2 sets of cortisol labs. They got so much worse after I thought I was doing all the right things. I started supplementing DHEA & pregnenolone in June, so about 8 weeks before the second set of labs. I am taking 20mg DHEA & 200mg Pregnenolone. I have been avoiding artificial light at night and have put up room darkening shades. I think that is what helped by night time cortisol, but I think all of the pregnenolone is being shunted to cortisol. So I should stop the pregnenolone? Is it too much or do I just need to back off? I can't figure out why it is being converted to cortisol except I had a root canal about 2 weeks before testing. Could that have skewed my numbers?

4/15/22 7/22/12

7:00am 8.6 (3.7-9.5) 18.4

12:00pm 2.3 (1.2-3.0) 3.3

5:00pm 1.7 (.6-1.9) 4.9

9:00pm 2.1 (.4-1.0) 1.4

5/23/12

DHEA 23.3 (60.9-337)

Pregnenolone 31 (

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

kjgraffin;43075 wrote: Here are 2 sets of cortisol labs. They got so much worse after I thought I was doing all the right things. I started supplementing DHEA & pregnenolone in June, so about 8 weeks before the second set of labs. I am taking 20mg DHEA & 200mg Pregnenolone. I have been avoiding artificial light at night and have put up room darkening shades. I think that is what helped by night time cortisol, but I think all of the pregnenolone is being shunted to cortisol. So I should stop the pregnenolone? Is it too much or do I just need to back off? I can't figure out why it is being converted to cortisol except I had a root canal about 2 weeks before testing. Could that have skewed my numbers?

4/15/22 7/22/12

5/23/12

DHEA 23.3 (60.9-337)

Pregnenolone 31 (

3. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

Thanks Jansz, I've done all of that. It got me started on the path with my BHRT. I'm trying to correct my cortisol because it has been said that it is impossible to balance your hormones if your cortisol is out of whack. I'm trying to decide if the pregnenolone I'm taking is the cause of the increase or if maybe it was just the fact that I had a root canal. Is it possible to determine that? Should I back off of the pregnenolone or keep taking it and retest in a couple of months to give my body a chance to calm down from the root canal?

Any other thoughts?

4. Destiny

Destiny New Member

kjgraffin;43075 wrote: Here are 2 sets of cortisol labs. They got so much worse after I thought I was doing all the right things. I started supplementing DHEA & pregnenolone in June, so about 8 weeks before the second set of labs. I am taking 20mg DHEA & 200mg Pregnenolone. I have been avoiding artificial light at night and have put up room darkening shades. I think that is what helped by night time cortisol, but I think all of the pregnenolone is being shunted to cortisol. So I should stop the pregnenolone? Is it too much or do I just need to back off? I can't figure out why it is being converted to cortisol except I had a root canal about 2 weeks before testing. Could that have skewed my numbers?

4/15/22 7/22/12

5/23/12

DHEA 23.3 (60.9-337)

Pregnenolone 31 (

5. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

OK, well that really helps. So I'll drop the pregnenolone and see what happens. Trial and error is driving me crazy!

6. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I know but there is no other way. You probably have something in your labs that drives all that pregnenolone to cortisol.

7. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

I've been re-reading the blogs that address cortisol and am having a hard time figuring it out. So far this is what I understand:

You need T3 to convert hormones. I have low T3 & T4 so have been taking Armour for 3 months now. Right now I am at 1/2 grain.

But Jack says you will drive up your RT3 if you have high cortisol and are taking Armour. But when he says high cortisol, does he mean at any one time like at night or does he mean if it is high throughout the day? I felt like my first set of labs were OK except in the evening and at night. Now my night is looking better but all the rest went up. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Gonna keep reading......

8. You can produce rT3 with cortisol that is higher than it should be (like yours). Have you tested your rT3?

1/2 grain of Armour is a super-duper low dose. Have you tested your FT3 to see if it is getting higher?

9. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

I'm getting my FT3, FT4, RT3 retested next week. I'm anxious to see the results. I asked for an increase last month, but the doc wanted to give it another month and retest before upping it. But again, with these cortisol levels wouldn't increasing my dose be useless? I started taking PS about 2 weeks prior to testing, so I don't think it had a chance to make a difference. I just don't know how else to fix cortisol. I'm not doing artificial light at night and I am making sure I get sun every morning. I haven't been stressed at all lately. The kids are actually behaving and doing pretty well. What else?

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

How's your hs CRP? Inflammation anywhere could be driving your cortisol up I think.

11. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

I'm getting that tested next week also. In March it was 1.10 (0-3.0). So it wasn't great but I didn't think it was awful. I have been on the AI diet since March and removed FODMAPs in May.

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am taking 20mg DHEA & 200mg Pregnenolone.

DHEA 23.3 (60.9-337)

Pregnenolone 31 (

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

14. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

Bangs head on desk....I have a severe leaky gut and took antibiotics before the root canal.....thinking now that might have been a factor.....oyyy. How do I decide if I should continue on the pregnenolone???

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Jansz is spot on correct.........

16. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

Started 10mg DHEA & 200mg pregnenolone 6 weeks prior to the latest cortisol test & 5 weeks prior to root canal. Upped the DHEA to 20mg 3 weeks prior to cortisol test. The root canal was about 2 weeks prior to cortisol test.

The DHEA & pregnenolone results that I posted are prior to supplementing anything and was drawn on day 3 of cycle. I am taking micronized DHEA & micronized pregnenolone from Nutricology. I am taking both with breakfast in the morning.

I am on 1g of estrogen, split between morning & noon. I am taking 200mg progesterone day 12-26 of cycle. My cycles are lasting about 42-44 days so I'm thinking the progesterone is not working. Would have thought the pregnenolone would help but apparently it is being shunted to cortisol, so not really helping.

I feel like I'm doing everything else right. I'm eating right (NEVER cheat), I'm mindful of circadian cycle (lights out at 7), eating within 30 minutes of waking, not exercising yet (though I am going to start walking more).

I have an appt with a doctor in Atlanta next week to see if he can help me with my gut. After which, I will be setting up a consult with Jack to discuss my options and see if I can determine the best course of action.

17. Destiny

Destiny New Member

How is your thyroid?