1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Circadian Success!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by nonchalant, Sep 22, 2014.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Ya'll are going to have to call me Dr. Non now. I fixed DH's rash!

Saturday evening he broke out in an extensive, blotchy rash over most of his body, especially in the less tanned areas like the back, insides of the arms and legs, etc. He got some relief that night from an OTC hydrocortisone ointment, but Sunday morning at 3am he was very uncomfortable. He didn't awaken me, poor thing. That morning I asked him to come outside and watch the sun rise with me. He stayed out in the sun for about 20 minutes in shorts, with bare feet and chest. He said the itchiness was getting worse, and I saw that the rashes were more red. He said even his head was itchy. But then in a few minutes he started feeling some relief, which rapidly took all of the itchiness away.

We came inside, because it was getting hot. But when his coffee was ready, he went back outside to sit in the shade of a tree. He asked why the sun had this effect, and I explained about the cortisol cycle and sunshine. I told him early sunshine would make cortisol peak earlier than it would otherwise. He was interested and listened closely. Maybe his wife isn't just a nut after all?

So I had the success of getting DH interested in the circadian rhythm! But wait, there's more!

Sunday evening his hives reappeared, though they weren't itchy yet. We drove home, so that we could visit the doctor in the morning. That night DH asked about putting some of the cream on as a preventive measure, but I convinced him to hold off. This morning, I asked him how he felt, and he said he was fine. Um... I was a bit surprised. He had a few of the blotches, but nothing like the evening before. And he slept through the night with no itching. He went outside to see the rising sun again with me.

We were both quite surprised. A while ago DH had a similar, though not as severe a rash, and it was a slowly progressing nightly ordeal for weeks until we went to the doc and got an Rx for a course of Prednisone tablets.

We both feel great now! Thanks Dr. K!

2. Inger

Inger Silver

Yay......... very cool! :) :) :)

Congratulations Doctor Sally - nothing better than when we are able to helps our loved ones :)

3. Martin

Martin Gold

Way to go, Doc!

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks! Nonchalant takes a bow. :)

I was wishing I had internet access, so I could ask about it on the forum. But then I realized I already knew the answer, I just had to figure out which protocol was key. That, and the fact that the rash was practically screaming "circadian rhythm" if you listened closely.

I told him that a less inflammatory diet would help, but he heard "no sweet tea" among the list and that was that... Oh well, one step at a time.

As to what caused the rashes, I think it was niacin. The previous rash was confusing, because poison ivy and travel/hotel stays were involved. I removed several supplements from his pillbox, but it didn't help. After he got the Rx, and a week passed with no issues, I gave him a tiny dose of 100 mg niacin on mondays only. The second rash occurred almost a week after the second such dose. And like I said, the second rash was more widespread and fast acting than the one before. A bit scary, actually.

I think his redox is low, and he cannot tolerate the niacin. And with his level of inflammation, perhaps one of those cytokine storm thingies was happening, despite the removal of the cause. We were away from the city, but you can't fix all the effects of a bad environment with a quick trip to the country. CT was also out, though he slowly (over several years) is tolerating more and more cold.

5. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Congrats on helping him with the rash Dr. Non

The next thing you know, you'll be posting a picture on the CT thread of the both of you CTing oustside in matching water troughs! :D

^^ That sounds like someone I know too...

caroline and nonchalant like this.