1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Chunky toddler

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by BeingVenus, Jun 12, 2012.

1. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

So, I need some advice or reassurance. My toddler is very chunky. He was exclusively breastfed for 6 months and still nursing on demand maybe 6-8 times a day (though not all of those are nutritive I don't think.) His first solids were paleo foods, he continues to be fairly carnivorous besides a little bit of dairy, and occasional banana or bacon sautéed broccoli. That said, he's 18 months and 33 pounds/ 32 inches. Which puts him around 90th percentile

For height and a bit off the charts (or 99th percentile) for weight. He really doesn't eat all that much and he runs around constantly, sleeps beautifully, never gets sick, and has a sunny disposition but I have this sick feeling that I screwed his metabolism up by being so overweight while I was pregnant. I never really noticed how big he was until recently. I'm obviously not going to put him on a diet or anything wacky since he already eats quite healthfully. I was a slender toddler but an overweight adult, so I have no idea how all this comes in to play. Under all the chunk he's quite muscular and he is incredibly strong... He often overpowers children 3 years older than him. So maybe he's fine and I'm just being paranoid. Any insight mommas?

2. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

I only noticed because his pediatrician seemed a bit concerned but said we shouldn't do anything about it (yet.)

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

chunky from breast milk makes for excellent ketosis and myelin formation......means their brains are more ready for serious function.

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Just awesome!!! My 2yo is still nursing 2x/day and he still has his baby buddah belly. Brown fat!!! He's never cold and always HOT! The kid is a sweating machine even in winter he refuses to use blankets or wear long pj!! IMO as a mom only as long as he's around the range he's been since birth no worries!!!

5. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

Yeah he's been chunky since he popped out. He whines and screams if

I put him in Jammies. I always felt guilty for letting him go without until I started CT and figured out I was ok all along. Ha!

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

90th percentile for height and 99th for weight sounds non-problematic. If you said 99th for weight and 25th for height, I suppose I'd see the concern. Maybe. But in this case, I don't see how it's a problem. As a midwife once said to me, the charts have a range for a reason... people span that range. Add to that the 'excellent myelin formation and ketosis' combo that Dr K suggests and it sounds like you've got a very intelligent athlete on your hands :)

7. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

I really should fire that pediatrician... hahahahaha I don't know what I'm paying him for.

8. kathylu

kathylu Gold

My 5 yr old was a "big" toddler too, usually 90th percentile for height and weight. He is still solid (muscular, not fat) but has thinned out a bit. I always ignored my pediatrician (who wanted me to feed him fortified cereal) because I was committed to feeding him according to WAP principles. His first solid food was warmed raw egg yolk, followed by mashed avocado, pureed meats, pureed sweet potato. I wasn't able to breast feed long (1 month) but my girlfriend donated her breast milk for my son for 6 months. So he had about 1/2 breast milk, 1/2 homemade formula (google WAP amd Fallon baby formula for the recipe). I ate lowish carb paleo during my pregnancy and took fish oil every day. Since my diet was perfect during pregnancy, I think it minimized the effect of my overweight on his development, at least I hope so. My son has had fish oil every day since his birth. He has hardly ever been sick (3 colds maybe?), and he is strong and brilliant. He started to read sentences at 2 1/4 and is an accomplished reader now. He loves math too...thinks it's a game. So hang in there...you are doing the right things...your child will be wonderfully healthy and bright!

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

One question which charts are your peds using? The CDC charts are designed for formula fed babies. The WHO charts are designed for bf babies. Ds is higher on the CDC charts (~85%) but on the WHO charts he's btwn 50-65%. I bet your ped us using the formula based charts, when they should be using the WHO charts

10. I'll have to tell my brother - he was super chunky when breastfed, now he's super trim, healthy and pretty darn smart

11. NoatakGirl

NoatakGirl New Member

I didn't find low carb/paleo until a few weeks after I stopped breastfeeding my daughter at 2 1/2, so I had thoughts along the same line, like my daughter would be healthier if I had known this all along, etc. She was not quite as big as your son, but as time went on her height went from 90 percentile to 50 and weight remained high. To make a long story short, she will be 3 1/2 in a couple months. In the past 10 months, she's only gained about 1 pound (from 34 to 35), just getting taller. After 2, she slowed down eating, she eats less food now than at 2, and it really goes in cycles. A month ago, breakfast was 4 eggs, today just a few small bites of sausage. I imagine at some point in the next year, your son will slow down too. One other interesting thing, when we took grains out of her diet, we could almost immediately (within a few weeks) see her ribs (not visible before) but arms and legs remain chunky. You know you are feeding him good foods, so you are on the right path . . .

12. Interesting because of my 4 children, my second oldest (daughter) who is now 14 years old was like a little buddha when she was a baby - exclusively breastfed until 9 months old - she wouldn't take solids before that, and I breastfed her the longest (22 months), and she is by far the most intelligent of the 4.