1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Chocolate !

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by KiwiLauren, Apr 6, 2012.

1. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

Any word on Coconut Oil Online aka Coconut Oil supreme?

2. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Molybdenum is need to break down the aldehyde to acetic acid. That's a leaky gut issue, too.

3. Joann

Joann New Member

anyone have an idea why stevia causes stinky gas and bloating?

4. WannaBeOptimal

WannaBeOptimal New Member

How can you tell it has mycotoxins? I have been using Trader Joes virgin CO...any problem with it?

My World Market here in Naples has tons of the 99%. Clerks have told me they sell a lot of it.

5. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

I've never seen this with pure 100% stevia. However, there's several brands out there that blend the stevia with polyols or inulin/FOS. those are notorious for causing gas, bloating, and other digestive problems.

6. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I am interested in this too. Tropical Traditions is the brand I usually buy. i thought it was one of the best!

7. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

I am in love with artisana's coconut butter - I eat it straight all the time plus they sell them in handy little packets that are great for travel. I can't wait to melt some with 100% chocolate and make my own bark...yum!

have no idea about mytotoxins though...

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I get that, too. I'm having a similar reaction to Kombucha. My heart races, I feel nauseated, and just plain drunk :eek: I just read somewhere that anything that is fermented tends to have the mycotoxin issue. Chocolate is fermented. Kombucha is, as well. So, I'm starting to pay attention to maybe I'm having a mycotoxin issue?

Chocolate can make me sick enough to end up hugging the toilet an hour after eating it. It appears to happen primarily with Lindt brand (which I loooove - grew up with this). Giradelli appears to be a bit better. I eat Artisana CO which I think is on the mycotoxin free list.

9. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

I could swear I've seen Jack comment Tropical Traditions has mycotoxins which is why he swears by Nutiva. With all e reading I do here, I can't remember where I read it of course...

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

it's in the CO thread :)

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

there's no list... I googled and the agreement appears to be mycotoxin free for Artisana :) It also happens to be my favorite.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

It's coconut oil :) The chocolate I appear to do best with is Giradelli 100percent right now. Lindt isn't doing me any good. I've also hear that Lindt won't confirm gluten free for their chocolate... that might be another issue.

14. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

I'm pretty hooked on the Green and Blacks 85%.... Ingredient list is short and no soy lecithin

15. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

Souldanzer the reason you might be sick with Lindt is that it is not gluten free. Lindt admits they use barley malt to sweeten all chocolate under 70% and they do not change or even clean machines for the 70%+ brands.

fwiw, be careful with Green & Black as well, if you are sensitive you may react to G&B

you have to check G&B country sites for your country to see if there is cross contamination

http://www.greenandblacks.com/us/our-chocolates/bars.html (the US site)

if you click on the 85% bar it does have the cross contamination warning. not important if you are not gluten intolerant but helpful if you are.

I`m one of the super sensitives and the only two chocolates I can eat at this point are Endangered Species 88% and Côte D`Or 86% as both are certified gluten free. (in case you are wondering Jack`s 99% bars have the cross contamination warning :( )

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks, Colleen, I was recently made aware of this issue with Lindt :( Have been avoiding it since. I'm not sure it really is the gluten but I've noticed a similar reaction to a different food that I knew might have been contaminated (roommate... ). Which makes me realize I probably get cross-contamination more often than I think and that might explain some things. I'll start paying attention to this.

I really can't eat anything below 99percent - too much sugar and I don't even like it. Considering my gut's still leaky, I think I just need to get over the chocolate factor :rolleyes:

17. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

yeah, cross contamination is the bane of my existence. it's amazing where you can get it from

18. Watch out for the World Market 99%, they clearly have no quality control. We buy it by the case when it comes in, and several times now we got batches that were SWEET - way sweeter than it should be. . .clearly mis labeled or something. But it's happened frequently enough now that I am weaning away from that one. What a shame!!

19. LinD

LinD New Member

Definitely true! Even an employee told me they get their "World Market" brand from different suppliers.

20. Scharfenberger makes a 99% chocolate that is only chocolate and vanilla....no sweetener! It's too bitter for me but that is a good brand.

Now if I could only find a Valrona in the 90 percentile of chocolate made w/ a little beet sugar I'd be really happy! :)