1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Chocolate !

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by KiwiLauren, Apr 6, 2012.

1. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Help from all you nutrition gurus....

I have been eating lots of 100% chocolate (can't get 99% here - I've been eating fermented, raw powder, as well as teh roasted) for the resveratrol and magnesium (and upon Dr K's recommendation). I have just, however, read a post by Chris Kressler regarding phytic acid and how chocolate (in any form) should NOT be a regular part of our diet.

So... for all your chocolate eaters out there... what do you think?

Is chocolate on your go-to list? Or your no-no list? In what form? Quantities? If you eat it, do you supplement with zinc to deal with the potential mineral depletion?

If anyone knows if there is a specific form of chocolate that reduces phytic acid and is best for health, please chime in. Or with any opinions about chocolate :confused:

Thanks!!

2. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Dr K has a chocolate bark recipe in his book made from 100% ... So must not be keeping him from optimal?

Others have posted they're using the 85 percent from Green and Blacks organic during the reset (as have I). I've noticed meant brands include soy lecithin... Bad? I go for soy and rice free chocolate. I'm still losing 2-4 lbs a week so I'm happy....

3. I eat about 1 oz the 99% chocolate about 3-4 times a week. It doesn't seem like much. I stay away from anything with soy in it in any form. I also make the doc's bark and eat that instead of the chocolate. Either way I only eat a bit for taste and then I am done. I don't crave it or need to have more after I eat it.

4. wyldeman

wyldeman New Member

Currently I am eating 1/2 oz of the 100% cacao Baker's chocolate with a brazil nut twice a day.

It's 100% cacao, so it will most likely not trigger binges ( I consider myself blessed to not have really any struggle with those)

5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I mix a TBSP of CO, a TBSP of unsweetened cocoa, a tsp of good cinnamon, and a tiny pinch of sea salt into a paste and eat it as-is. Sometimes I add a tablespoon or two of unsweetened flaked coconut too, for funsies. It's very tasty. :)

6. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I gnaw on a square of unsweetened baker's chocolate every night after dinner. I used to think there was no way in the world anyone could eat that stuff straight, but now I love it!

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I gave up chocolate for lent to support DH who I challenged to give up wheat/gluten - I get it back on SUNDAY!!! WHOOT...

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I eat 90% Lindt. No soy. Hard to believe a couple years ago I thought any non-milk chocolate was horridly bitter. :)

9. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

So it sounds like no one, including Dr K, is worried about the phytic acid content of chocolate. It's not in the additives in chocolate, but in the cocoa itself according to Chris Kresser, it's as bad as nuts and grains. I am not eating anything but 100%. I have a choice between roasted and unroasted (both fermented).

from the article:

One of the main principles of the Paleo diet is to avoid eating grains and legumes because of the food toxins they contain. One of those toxins, phytic acid (a.k.a. phytate), is emphasized as one of the greatest offenders.

But what is often not mentioned in books or websites about the Paleo diet is that nuts are often as high or even higher in phytic acid than grains.

Disappointing side note for chocolate lovers: Raw unfermented cocoa beans and normal cocoa powder are extremely high in phytic acid. Processed chocolate may also contain significant levels.]

He then lists a table to show it has more phytic acid per 100g than things like almonds, brown rice, peanuts, and lentils.

In the comments/Q&A people repeatedly asked him about chocolate and he kept saying to never have it as a daily part of your diet.

Do you think it's just plain wrong?
    I'm hoping so, but am not convinced.

(By the way, I'm also amazed with my changing tastebuds. I love the 100%.)

10. ginastarke

ginastarke New Member

I eat either cocoa nibs (The ones from Navitas are available online, and have a very nice crunch) or unsweetened baking chocolate. Ghirridelli is good ,and a lot more affordable, but Schaffen Berger is the best. I also melt down some coconut oil and manna with cinnamon and anise seeds and stir in 3-4 tablespoons of cocoa.

With me it depends on what part of the month it is, around "that time" I gotta have it, the rest of the time, I don't care that much.

11. Casey

Casey New Member

Hmm, I have the same reaction to dark chocolate and raw cacao as I do nuts and grains - I haven't heard of chocolate containing phytic acid. I might look into this further. Thanks Lauren.

12. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

This is interesting! I do eat a small amount on a weekly basis (Valhrona 85%).

Another thing that chocolate is high in that can be an issue is copper, which can cause estrogen retention and tiredness.

13. wyldeman

wyldeman New Member

[​IMG]

This is the chocolate I use. 100% cacao.

$2.58 at my local grocery store for 8 oz.

Each ounce is individually wrapped and scored so you can break/cut it in half.

14. ASHO

ASHO New Member

I found a great raw chocolate bar called Sacred Chocolate. I bought the Coconut & Nibs flavor and it was delicious. The ingredients are all Organic: Cacao Nibs, Cacao Butter, Maple Sugar, Coconut, Vanilla Bean and Himalayan Pink Crystal Salt.

15. ASHO

ASHO New Member

What brand of chocolate does Jack eat? He said he eats more than 3 lbs a week of it.

16. He has mentioned in the past that he buys World Market's 99% chocolate. It's evil stuff I tell ya!!! So hard to stop if you are a chocolate lover It tastes way sweeter than 99%. To me it tastes better than most 85%. Not sure if this brand is still the one he eats .....

17. ASHO

ASHO New Member

Thank you Patty Cakes. Is World Market the only store that carries their chocolate?

BTW, what part of SoCal are you?

18. healthnut

healthnut New Member

Sharffenberger chocolate is primo! Gotta watch the Lindt 90, I've seen a blurb on it lately about it being alkalized. How do we really know which bars are alkalized and which are not, I don't think they are required to disclose this information?

If we were to avoid phytates, we'd have to go on an air and water diet.....they are in everything.

19. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I developed extreme pains in my gut thanks to phytic acid (leaky gut) and dark chocolate never caused me any issues, however, last month I noticed that 85% gave me a weird feeling in the gut... like the leaky gut pain I used to have, but less. I couldn't firgure out why, but this makes sense. I take zinc picciolate every 2nd night... The gut discomfort is gone again now. Personally I love my dark chocolate/barks etc!

20. healthnut

healthnut New Member

Glam~ Coffee and cocoa are very acid. Both also contain a lot of copper, maybe something to do with that too?

I purchase raw cocao powder from Wilderness Family Naturals: http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/category/chocolate-products.php

I noticed it a lot less mild than natural cocoa powder. It is more fruity and a lot stronger.

I make 'homemade' chocolate with organic cocoa butter and the raw cocao powder. That way I can make it even stronger than store bought. I melt 1/2 cup of cocao butter and let it cool a bit. Then whisk in about 1 1/4 cup of the raw cocao powder and a little vanilla. Pour it on some wax paper on a baking sheet and freeze it to harden. You could add other things like crushed green tea leafes, nibs, sea salt....