1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Chiropractic as preventative? Do you still believe in it?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by LieselK, Aug 28, 2018.

1. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

I'm so curious to hear from everyone- chiropractors included! Do you still believe in the idea that chiropractic care is preventative medicine? If so, what does that look like to you? Is that weekly, biweekly, monthly or ??? If you are a chiropractor, how do you handle this with your patients? Do you promote regular care or develop plans based on the individual and/or encourage them to reach out when needed? Are most people so disconnected from their bodies that they need the regularity or they wouldn't ever realize that care is needed?

Here's why I'm asking... rabbit hole... a friend illuminated something for me today. Something I knew, but couldn't verbalize like she did for me. When we experience disease symptoms or receive a diagnosis I think it's natural for us to feel betrayed by our body or feel like it's broken. The truth is that it's not, the body is doing what it is made to do- survive. It's really working the way it's supposed to. It's freeing when you realize that you are not powerless and the changes you make to your environment will have a positive effect because your body is going to respond just as it did to negative impacts. So... I really dislike the meme that to be healthy I have to do regular chiropractic care. (It's essentially telling me that I'm constantly broken and need to be fixed.) If I'm optimal, why would my body be out of alignment so often and need to be adjusted? While I can definitely see changes based on how I feel and from scans in receiving regular chiropractic care over the last few years, I also feel like I shouldn't need it now because the stimulus for misalignment is gone (stress, anxiety, etc.) Being pregnant is a different story, but I also feel like it should be as "as needed" thing and not just scheduled regularly.

2. I work as an office manager for a chiropractor, and I also have a personal problem with the idea that I need regular maintenance care, or that a newborn needs care to be optimal as well. I see many people daily benefit greatly from acute care, some are hardly able to walk in and once treated they walk out with no problem at all.

Most chiropractors in my area also really subscribe to the idea that alignment needs to be corrected by outside means (like orthotics for feet), and after reading Katy Bowman's work on alignment I think that is now a really flawed idea.

3. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

I'm also really struggling with paying someone who isn't on the same page as I am. If that's going to be the case, that I'm really only paying for the actual adjustment and not any other support then I'll just go to a cheap walk-in/walk-out chiro clinic.

Interesting you say about newborns as I've seen the need for facial work in many babes, but I've also had a couple chiropractors over the years who have told me that children shouldn't need adjusted all that often- just when big growth spurts or changes occur such as learning to walk, etc. I wonder now at their reasoning and what really makes anyone *need* chiropractic care. As Jack would say... the hippos and lions do just fine without it. I suppose it's individual in finding the right amount of sunshine, meditation, exercise, grounding, etc, etc that keeps a person's body balanced.

4. I feel like our bodies are a lot more resilliant than given credit for. The only time I need an adjustment is when something is stuck. Most times I am able to stretch and move myself into functional alignment. I think babies and children should be even better able to do that when given the chance for movement and play. The book Move Your DNA by Katy Bowman might give you more to think about when it comes to alignment. She doesn't talk about chiropractic in it at all, but I related it to the practice a bunch.

drezy likes this.
  5. drezy

drezy New Member

Yes given the chance for movement and play outside. I think it goes for big kids like us too.

Jim Laird and countingstarsx like this.
  6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I agree with things said before. Caution thoughhwith the hippos and lions story. They live where they were meant to live the way they were meant to live. In our altered world we do not get to choose all our living conditions. So on the way to optimal andwhen you get there you need to keep a wary eye out. For this I think a visit to a doctor/chiro would be useful when you are in doubt about something you feel or see.They are independent eyes that see the status quo but you do not need to accept their deductions.

7. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

Exactly, it should be a tool in the arsenal, not routine for prevention.

8. Jim Laird

Jim Laird Gold

Amen !!!!

9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am using chiropractic adjustments since I learned about their existence about 1978 or so.
    So, 40 years.

Problem is to find right chiropractor.

I am seeing my chiropractor weekly, occasionally more.

/

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Michael CULLEN likes this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

upload_2018-9-10_9-30-35.png
    Additional information.
    The place is own by older brother Sam.
    He works Mon, Wed, Fri
    He is the one I see.

Tue & Thu are when Sam's younger brother works.

upload_2018-9-10_9-27-23.png

11. Lukem

Lukem New Member

I think about the relationship between circadian cycles, Fraunhofer lines, fascia, and central pattern generators. At the end of the day, chiropractics is still working to understand coherence and entanglement. I would say the structure of the system is dependent on coherent light flows, a light mismatch creates incoherence in the system that manifest as the opportunity for structural issues. We are working with a tensegrity engineering model, tension and compression forces working in coherence. The skeletal system provides compression while fascia provides tension, the skeletal compression members should float freely in fascial tension. Fascia is the one part of us that is in contact with every other part. Fascia is a water loving topological insulator, to a large extent collagen based. The fascia connective tissue system not only organizes cellular location, but it also extends into the intracellular space where it is the cytoskeleton. Think about how the cell changes the amount of space between the nucleus and mitochondria. The interaction between our light environment and fascia alters fascial tension and thusly skeletal compression within the tensegrity system. Scoliosis can manifest with blue light toxicity, the skeletal subluxation pattern is stored in the water loving topological insulator fascial system. I'm biased because I perform soft tissue work, I think these kind of manipulations have their place. BUT, the individual that lives in a garbage environment and has poorly functioning mitochondria will never be able to hold their alignment. In my opinion, if you have to get manipulations on a regular basis then this is an indicator of a bad environment and poor mitochondrial function. If you had strong DC flow then your spine would stand up straight. In a sense, think about the cartoon characters that stick their finger in the electrical socket, their hair stands up straight and their whole body stretches out, they get juiced on charge.

"The mathematical characterization of the signal also demonstrates coherence at a distance between the sacral to cervical spine."

The Network Spinal Wave as a Central Pattern Generator
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4939370/

Reorganizational Healing: A Paradigm for the Advancement of Wellness, Behavior Change, Holistic Practice, and Healing
    https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/acm.2009.0043

Fairy likes this.
  12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

if you have to get manipulations on a regular basis
    =========================
    Majority of times I do not have to go to my chiropractor.
    In retrospect. I am glad I did.
    /

13. Ted

Ted New Member

The problem is that we don't live naturally today. We don't sit or walk correctly. We have jobs that may put is into repetitive motions. Even wearing footwear is not natural for our spine. That's why we need adjustments.

14. BrandonH1987

BrandonH1987 New Member

I have serious back pain.. Is chiropractic going to help me? I got seriously injured 4 years ago, and since then I am experiencing terrible back pain every day. Nothing helps me, I am really desperate - I don't know what to do. I've been to a doctor and he recommended me to go to a good chiropractor. I don't know much about that, so I decided to write here. What can you guys say about that? I would be really grateful for any help. Please, share your stories - it's going to be really useful for me! Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

16. Theka

Theka New Member

Personally, having seen chiropractors for much of my life, I think chiropractic is useful, but not as prevention and not alone. I believe that without addressing the muscles that hold and support the joints, correct alignment will not be sustained. When it comes to pain, movement is vital to turn off nocieceptors and reduce pain. I think chiropractic without movement/exercise therapy is a band-aid.

Duane Baumgartner and caroline like this.
  17. jrobertson1984

jrobertson1984 New Member

Chiropractic is a separate part of the study, because many people compare it to magic. It seems to me that a lot depends on whether you find the right chiropractor. If not, unfortunately, there will be no effect. I was able to find an experienced person in this business a few weeks ago, which I am very grateful for because I was often tormented by back pain from which I could not sit and lie down properly. When my mother recommended that I go to chiropractor Las Vegas, after two or three sessions, I already felt a noticeable weakening in my muscles, so it seems to me that an experienced chiropractor is of primary importance

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Michael CULLEN likes this.