1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Children CT

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by MamaGrok, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

This is the thread where I want to hear how you're implementing CT with your kids, how you might plan to introduce it in the future, what you said that interested them, what was successful, what wasn't, anything to do with kids & the cold!

I just took my nice, cold bath, and to my surprise, my two year old hopped right in! I thought she would recoil at the cold, but she loved it (it came up to her bottom, but not tummy). She played in it for at least 15 minutes, only getting out when I got out.

To my further surprise, when she got out, she wasn't cold. Normally, when she gets out of the bath, she is freezing and can't wait to get warm clothes on.

My seven year old son kept asking to put his legs in, too, and did (this is why I wear a bathing suit while CT'ing, lol).

They are already TOTALLY CT-adapted just from being born!
    (and probably, from having eaten well since birth for the baby and for the last 4-5 years for the older one, and b/c I've never been one to insist on coats or shoes if they don't feel the need for them).

What are you doing with your babies (young or old)?

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

When I run the kids bath I've been making it a bit colder... just introducing it slowly... now if they want to wear shorts/short sleeves I let them... and I * foreget* their coats :)

I figure they'll start to jump in when they see mama doing a cold bath on the weekends...

3. The last week we've started to use our pool which has been ranging from 52-56 degrees. Its been so nice not to bother drawing a bath. Anyhow, our 7 year old jumps right in and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He recoup's faster than we do. My 3 year old wants nothing to do with the cold water. He stood next to the pool crying the other day because I wouldn't go in the house and get him "snow gloves." The two babies (10 months) I've been bring outside without bundling them up.

I've never been big on insisting on coats, probably because I've always found them to be more of a nuisance and don't usually wear them. Now that I know about CT I will recommend them even less.

4. Love this thread, hope more chime in.

My almost 6 yr old has seen me doing it, and is kinda making his own version. He has said everyday since he started "I need to do my cold therapy now!", to him mostly that is standing in the cold water longer than the last time. We use a big stop watch on the ipad and he digs it. He also sits down and times that, but only wants to do that every couple of days.

One of my major queries is if someone is in good shape, like a paleo raised/seasonal child who isn't really screwed up - do they need to go keto other than the dead of winter?

5. MJ*

MJ* New Member

As I said in the other thread my daughter is a teenager, she is more interested in this from a performance perspective, and I"m more interested in her being healthy...she was icing herself like crazy and then developed red itchy bumps on her arm. I had her stop the CT for a bit, because I was concerned that it was a detox and wasn't sure if it was ok for her to continue...is this normal, and should she CT through it or let it heal first?

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

7. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Ok not like that at all, it's only like four or five red bumps more like this one linked below, but obviously a reaction...how can I get her to take fish oil? She does not even take the tiniest pill...is there a liquid alternative?
    [​IMG]

8. MJ*

MJ* New Member

and thanks!!!

9. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Shijin13 OMG reading some of the stuff on that page is freaking me out!

10. MJ*

MJ* New Member

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

How's dd's diet? try to focus on grass fed beef/pork and seafood. ghee and LOTS of Coconut oil. that plus fish oils will help

FWIW Ive found the nordic naturals are kind of expensive - I use jarrow balanced EPA/DHA - and any gel cap can be chewed. also consider checking her 25hydroxy D3

I haven't started the kids on o3 yet - just trying to focus on diet...

12. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Her diet is improving, but she is a picky eater so no fish or seafood of any kind (which is why it makes sense to me that her o3s would be low)...lots of organic eggs and meat (I have not found a great place to get grass fed beef yet that isn't a fortune, love some ideas on that) I get what I can from Trader Joes. She loves berries and most fruit and eats a lot of salads, and likes cucumbers, spinach, peppers, broccoli, and sweet potatoes, and we are working on eliminating wheat but I'm not sure she'll do it completely being a teenager - pizza is huge when they go out...I am having a hard time taking milk from her diet, because that was one of the components that her doctor has her on for her growth hormone deficiency, and it actually helped a lot, she grew with dairy even before the therapy began, and the combination of both have been like a blessing. She was always very thin and organic whole milk, cream, butter I get the Kerrygold, cheese and ice cream have been helping her put on the weight she needed for growth - which is 5 lbs. for every inch of growth (that's what all children need). She stopped the ice cream awhile ago though. She's almost completely given up sugar which was really hard, as it's so abundant with friends at school.

I agree those were pricey, but if she eats them I'm all in...I will check out those other brands...we have a really great vitamin shop near here I'll check with them. Thanks for the suggestion!

13. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

MJ, MamaGrok did a great job of helping me understand the benefits (and whole food-ness) of fermented cod liver oil, which helps with the fish oils but also has a balance of other vitamins. And, is available in liquid form in a variety of flavours (including cinnamon and chocolate!). If you want to hear more, I can find the few posts on the 'leptin RX' monster thread (on this forum) or I'm sure MG can chime in. I found it REALLY helpful info, and very reassuring for my children's health.

14. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Excellent KiwiLauren, if you can find it easily that'd be great, but if not, I'm sure I can ask at the health food store, now that I know what to ask for! You guys are the best! I love this forum...

15. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

She wasn't icing herself in the spot where the bumps came up, right? Yes, children need to detox, too. The GAPShelp yahoo list is full of parents trying to help their kids detox crap gently. As long as it isn't bothering her enough to make her quit, I'd just do it. Detox can be quick and more intense, or slower and less intense. You get to pick! Bumps are pretty easy to deal with!

Fermented CLO isn't in any store I've heard of, unfortunately. (The founder said Whole Foods approached him, but he said no, can't remember why.) Best prices are at Green Pastures' web site if you can order it in bulk. Easy for my family!

16. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

BTW, if milk helps her grow (as it did my son), I bet she needs K2 (has to be animal sources to help with bones). Best sources are fCLO (surprise! :) ), pastured liver, pastured egg yolks, pastured butter, and fish roe. Easiest sources are yolks & butter, obviously!

My kids get two eggs/day, all the Kerrygold they want, and 1/4tsp fCLO per day. (Notice the really small serving size - it has turned out to be cheaper than any other CLO option that I've found because of this.) The fCLO/BO combo is really helpful for those who need big bone work.

You could also supplement MK4 K2, but I'm still wary, b/c my understanding is that all MK4 is synthetic, and I have a phobia of synthetic fat soluble vitamins, lol.

17. How is the flavor of the fCLO? I'm always wondering if my kids will take it well. Though, they are the ones that love seafood and I have a hard time not gagging on it when I eat it because I'm so repulsed by it. How do you determine how much your child needs? What are the benefits of it over regular CLO?

18. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Definitely look through the last eek of the "monster thread" here on Optimal Living, b/c we answered those questions and more! If you can't dig it up (try going back a week, then hitting control-F on every page and searching on clo or "liver oil"), I can answer them here. Basically, if you love seafood, it's not bad at all; if you hate it (like me), just hold your breath and take the liquid, b/c caps give burps later, and "regular" CLO is actually modern processed CLO, while fCLO is the real thing, the way it was done for millennia until factories came around and changed it. You also use way less than most use of CLO.

19. Thanks MamaGrok for the info! I will also look on the monster thread and see what was said. I know this is off topic, but as a seafood hater have you been getting much/any down since following Dr Kruse's protocol? I've been trying, but it just about makes me sick. I used to not mind shrimp and real mild fish, but since my pregnancy with my first son just the smell of it nauseates me!